General Giro help.

treff

No need to apologize. There was supposed to be a "lol" after that statment lol. My bad.

Many thanks to all for the help especially Lee over my gyro problem. I think to have found the problem now, one of pilot error I'm afraid and what I think is a quirky bit of software in the DX8 tx. I will explain just in case someone else come across this. When programming the gyro in the DX8 you scroll down to the gyro menu if not set before i.e. new tx the this will say inhibit if you click on inhibit your into the rate menu where you choose rx channel(usually gear channel) then you set switch( gyro, f-mode, etc) then your set. NO YOU ARE NOT!!!!!. when you first go into the gyro menu and click on inhibit you have to scroll to set your switch preference there first if you do not do this and go on to set channel and switch in gyro menu, it will not work because the switch will still be inhibited. Hope that I have made sense. It's more difficult to write down than explain. You have to set the switch two times. So there we are back on the road to my first crash......................I mean maiden flight. Sky Leader was never like this. Mind you I was 40 years younger and able to climb trees to retrieve a wayward flight.

Many thanks again to all. This is the best site I have come across, friendly people who are willing to share knowledge. Thanks

Slobberdog

Remember on the road to the maiden flight also requires a video camera for company, glad you got it sorted out.

murankar

Staff member
I am going to chin in, I'll be honest I did not read all the posts. I have just gotten on here for the first time I a few days.

First off there should be 3 sets of wires, one with a black end ( servo plugs into), a white one with one wire (goes to gear/aux/channel 5) and one black plug that goes to channel 4/rudder in the rx.

Once you have your gains set, power on the tax then rx. As the gyro initializes throw the gear/gyro switch three times (up then down =1) really fast. That will get you to the servo selection. Once done throw the gear/gyro switch 3 more time rapidly to exit.

Now to program the other stuff you will need to hold left rudder while throwing the switch 3 times. Then every time you do single throw you will changes parameters. Using the rudder you can change the settings in that parameter. Good luck.

Tony

Staff member
I'm glad you got it sorted out. YOu are correct, you have to go in and assign not only the switch, but also the channel in the Tx. I should have known this lmao. Either way, post up your first crash *ahem* flight of this bird :biggrin1:

treff

I am going to chin in, I'll be honest I did not read all the posts. I have just gotten on here for the first time I a few days.

First off there should be 3 sets of wires, one with a black end ( servo plugs into), a white one with one wire (goes to gear/aux/channel 5) and one black plug that goes to channel 4/rudder in the rx.

Once you have your gains set, power on the tax then rx. As the gyro initializes throw the gear/gyro switch three times (up then down =1) really fast. That will get you to the servo selection. Once done throw the gear/gyro switch 3 more time rapidly to exit.

Now to program the other stuff you will need to hold left rudder while throwing the switch 3 times. Then every time you do single throw you will changes parameters. Using the rudder you can change the settings in that parameter. Good luck.

Thanks murankar for the info. It was a problem of myself not programming the right switch to get the gyro to work

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad you got it sorted out. YOu are correct, you have to go in and assign not only the switch, but also the channel in the Tx. I should have known this lmao. Either way, post up your first crash *ahem* flight of this bird :biggrin1:

Cheers Tony, yes almost there. I have ordered the big bag..........................................................................??????????????? for the all the bits of course LOL. Will try to get video of the whole event but there's nothing like an old man crying in camera.

Derek

hey there, treff! I'm glad that you got the issues sorted out with the help from the site. That's awesome! Something learned is something gained!

There is something that I'd like to remind you about. There are no such things as "dumb" questions when you are new to the hobby. Especially when it comes to heli's. Especially when it comes to heli wiring or setup. Especially when you don't have a massive bank account nor a super fat wallet. I, personally, do not have a fat wallet nor a massive bank account so when it comes to the setup of my heli (Trex 500), I want to make sure that I ask all the questions possible.

Just relax...take a deep breath and keep in mind that these guys on RCH are here to help...without hesitation. I can promise you that!

Good luck with your maiden flight. As far as your "crash bag"...sure, be sure to take it along, just don't get it out right away. Go through your pre-flight check and hopefully the Heli-Gods will look down on you.

treff

Oh dear, oh dear, dear me. Just when I thought I was out of the woods. I thought I had found the problem but with a new gyro, a second GA250 I still cannot get into the gyro menu by flicking the gain switch 3 or more times. I am now completely out of ideas of what it could be. Everything seems to work correctly except getting into the gyro menu to choose a servo. HELP!

Slobberdog

have you set your rates correctly, as Tony has said further up this thread one will be 65% ish and the other will be -35%

treff

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I did not see a minus sign. I will try that this very second. Back in a mo. Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Well I am certainly paying through the nose to learn. The gyro as burned out the servo. My own fault I should not have plugged it into the gyro. I will now go away scream and slash my wrist LOL. I truly give up. I'm afraid helis and me are finished I will stick to soarers, a lot more simple. Thanks for all the help.

Slobberdog

dont give up, its new and you want to play to much i know the feeling, slow down and really follow the instructions to the letter, i blew up an esc cos i was trying to go to quick and did not pay close attention to what i was doing connected a battery the wrong way around and pooooooof up in smoke the esc went.

with this hobby attention to detail and a good set up will pay dividends to you when you go to get it in the air, i bought mine second hand and after looking at the vids and info on this site stipped it back to basics and set it up the way the vids told me to, for peice of mind

treff

dont give up, its new and you want to play to much i know the feeling, slow down and really follow the instructions to the letter, i blew up an esc cos i was trying to go to quick and did not pay close attention to what i was doing connected a battery the wrong way around and pooooooof up in smoke the esc went.

with this hobby attention to detail and a good set up will pay dividends to you when you go to get it in the air, i bought mine second hand and after looking at the vids and info on this site stipped it back to basics and set it up the way the vids told me to, for peice of mind[/QUOTE

Thanks for that Slobberdog. I have now come back down off the ceiling. Kick the rubbish bin around the garden. I am ready for round ########. I been nearly a week trying to do this. I'm getting old lol. Anyway I still cannot get into the gyro menu. Well just a little I can now change the direction of the servo but I still can not get in to choose the right servo. I have a spare servo so I will install and try again. If I can get into one section of the gyro menu then I must have things set up right. I think it was the -35 and not +35 that did it. Thank goodness there are no canals or rivers close by. Get back to you later. I'M GOING IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slobberdog

are you trying to get into the servo type menu with the servo connected, if so that is your problem, it needs to be disconnected until after you have completed that step.

treff

Hi Slobberdog. Well I have had another go at it but I really need someone who knows what they are doing. It works but only after a fashion if you get my drift. When you use the rudder stick the tail judders like huge binding even when the control rod is disconnected so I suspect there is something more wrong or I am missing the very obvious which is probably what is happening. I am going to put this aside for now and try again in a few weeks time when my mind is fresher. I have gone down with shingles so not feeling the best. Anyway thanks for the help.

murankar

Staff member
Don't forget to hold left rudder when going into setup. it's been awhile since i had this gyro on any model. So i hope i am still valid in my advice.

Tony

Staff member
Sucks to hear about the health issues treff. Hope you get it taken care of soon. I have that is an ugly and painful thing to have. Get well soon bro.

As for the gyro, I'm in the same boat as Matthias, it's been a long time since I actually sat down and did anything with them. I would say I would order one and do a video on it, but it would take a month or more just to get here lol. I may still do it since it's a decent gyro, even if it is from china. Just need something that I don't care about to put it on. Still don't fully trust it on a $400 heli.

Take a break, read through the manual when you are eating breakfast for a few days, then go back to it. There have been many of the "Oh, now I get it" moments in my time in this hobby, which has not been that long for the aircraft. You will get it, it just takes time.

Lee

He sent me the first one Tony. So when it arrives i will do a video with it.

Tony

Staff member
Cool deal. A full setup video on this gyro will help a LOT of people out. Something that I meant to do when I had them, but like everything else, things come up and it never gets done.

treff

Cool deal. A full setup video on this gyro will help a LOT of people out. Something that I meant to do when I had them, but like everything else, things come up and it never gets done.

Cheers both Tony and Lee. I'm not one to sit around even when ill got to have something to do and this thing driving me nuts LOL. I have finally got things working but wether it's right I'm not sure. Everything works in the right sense been looking at Lee's video which was great help. In rates mode the slider moves back and forth self centring but in the HH mode the tail slider stops and seems to have to be recentre manually. Is this right? I think when the gyro is working and the tail blades spinning it will recentre. Hope I'm making at least a little sense here,

Top Bottom