Projects Gentle Lady Original Kit Build

Tony

Staff member
Dude, total suckage about the power. That was one hell of a storm that blew through there though. I was watching it on the computer. Hope all is well other than the power.

And good deal on the monokote. Can't wait to see it.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Well the wing is finished, but could use a few touch ups, and the fuselage is half way done...hoping to be done by 10:00 :) pictures will be up later tonight!

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Chris, are you posting pictures of the covered wing? Or the "bones"? I'd sure like to see the frame itself! You know, hold that thought whilst I run through the entire thread! :stupid:

- - - Updated - - -

How did you build the joint there the wing angles upward, is it simply mitered and glued? I didn't really see any reinforcement in that area. I have to assume that the covering will help to keep it together.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, there are quite a few pics of the skeleton of the plane throughout the thread.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Chris, are you posting pictures of the covered wing? Or the "bones"? I'd sure like to see the frame itself! You know, hold that thought whilst I run through the entire thread! :stupid:

- - - Updated - - -

How did you build the joint there the wing angles upward, is it simply mitered and glued? I didn't really see any reinforcement in that area. I have to assume that the covering will help to keep it together.

The dihedral and polyhedral joints are held in place by several plywood braces that were carefully glued in place after the panels were assembled and set at the proper angles. These braces are simply CA'd in place, but add a surprising amount of strength to the wing, and as you guessed the covering does add quite a bit of strength to keep the wing from twisting.

- - - Updated - - -

104_4005.jpg104_4008.jpg

the horizontal stab is in place and the 30 minute epoxy is drying, hopefully it stays straight!

104_4005.jpg

104_4008.jpg

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
How about the under the canopy showing the electronics, the tail section in detail, and maybe some closeups of the wing covering, especially the semi transparant blue area. It's really up to you, and thanks in advance!

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Nicely done! One can tell that you really took your time to such a nice job. I see now what you mean regarding the additional supports for the polyhedral joints. Thank you for the closeups!

Tony

Staff member
That plane looks amazing! You did a great job on that thing. Just make sure to put a keeper on that one linkage rod on the servo lol. Can't wait for the maiden!

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Thank you guys for all the compliments! I took it out to a big local park to maiden it and it flew great! Using the up start is pretty fun!

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
I can't believe it, but I'm catching the thermal bug....I had just one time today where I got lift and the plane went up about 50 feet on its own, and it was awesome!!!!! Now I'm looking at getting a 3M Olympic 2 kit from Skybench, can't stop thinking about sailpanes!!!!! :D :D :D http://www.rc-help.com/images/smilies/triumphant.png

- - - Updated - - -

.......and building is fun too

Top Bottom