Projects Gentle Lady Original Kit Build

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Yesterday when I went flying one of my friends let me fly his Spectra glider, and afterwards asked me if I wanted to build one. I said yes, and he told me he had a kit that I could have! :emmersed:
This is my first full kit build and I felt like I should share the enjoyment with everyone! Pictures coming soon!

Tony

Staff member
Kits are a lot of fun, just take your time and don't rush them. It will pay off in the end. Can't wait to see it.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
100_3943.jpg100_3948.jpg

Ribs have been taken out, cut and sanded. Die cut parts are a little more work, but in the end I'll have built more character :p

100_3943.jpg

100_3948.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That looks like a really fun build. Are you going to leave it unpowered or are you going to modify it with a motor?

murankar

Staff member
Nice one, enjoy the build. Hope it sees some sky soon. I know tony already said it but TAKE YOUR TIME. Pays off in the end.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
It might be electric, I haven't really decided yet. I'd love to fly a real glider, but my field has very few soft landing spots that aren't on the runway (small trees and such) so the motor would be a help for me as a beginner in the glider world. I'll keep you posted.

RandyDSok

You would still need a grassy area to land in even if you convert it to electric... Converting it is so you don't need a high start winch or tow plane to get it into the air. Of course a good cliff or hill works nicely for cliff soaring.

My father has had a Gentle Lady for more years than I care to try and remember... It is one of his favorite gliders.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Horizontal stab. is complete! :D 100_3953.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The motor is for helping me get the plane back to the runway, I don't mind launching it with an upstart, but I'd risk landing somewhere no where near the runway. As for a soft spot to land in, as long as its coming in slow enough the flat (grass) runway will do fine. If need be there is tall grass on the sides of the runway.

100_3953.jpg

Tony

Staff member
The grass runway will do just fine for landing. And that stab looks great. Are you using wood glue or CA?

Tony

Staff member
That is what I would actually suggest. If I had my Telemaster to do over again, I would build it with Medium CA and not wood glue like I did.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
If I ever get the chance to buy a Senior Telemaster kit for a decent price I will build it. I want one to use as a glider tug and power it with a DLE 20.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, the Senior is one of the best flying trainers out there. I wish I had the money for one.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
It's been a week or so since my last update........so here is the right half of the wing. I have not shaped the wingtips yet, that will probably happen later today (if I don't go flying this afternoon).

photo2.jpg photo11.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo11.jpg

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Looks great in the pictures, Chris ... I should bring Alex over sometime and take a look. I know you guys must be missing her by now :chuckles:

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Looks great in the pictures, Chris ... I should bring Alex over sometime and take a look. I know you guys must be missing her by now :chuckles:

Sounds good!

I started the fuselage yesterday and took some pictures with the wing on. Looks like it'll be ready for covering by the end of the week....projected weight without covering is 19 ounces.
100_3998.jpg100_4000.jpg

100_3998.jpg

100_4000.jpg

Tony

Staff member
You are doing a great job on that. Everything about it looks great. Can't wait to see it covered and in the air.

Top Bottom