Projects Gentle Lady Original Kit Build

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Thanks Tony! It's certainly been a fun project and I can't wait to fly it! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Man the bananas, table cloth, and bowl make that picture! Looking great!

Haha, ya, those banas just kind of happened to be on the table and they do add a nice touch now that you mention it ;)

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
100_4001.jpg100_4002.jpg

almost ready for covering...... any suggestions for colors? I was kind of thinking transparent blue with white trim, but I'm open to ideas!

- - - Updated - - -

just noticed that I mispelled "bananas" a few posts up......couldn't let that slip by. :distracted:

100_4001.jpg

100_4002.jpg

RandyDSok

Blue is my favorite color... but blue against a blue sky may cause you issues. Of course that wouldn't exclude it as an accent color.

As a suggestion... Go to the Google Images website and search for "Gentle Lady" or any other sailplane you wish... you should get a lot of possible color schemes that way.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Here's a mishap from a few hours ago....something broke while I was holding the wing up, the wing hit the ground and snapped the outboard panel off one side. Kind of pi**ed me off that it happened, but it's all fixed and looks pretty much the same as it did before.
100_4004.jpg

100_4004.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That sucks, but is one of the good things about balsa. It will always fit back together and actually be stronger with more surface area to glue to. Hurry up and finish it lmao. Kidding.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
That sucks, but is one of the good things about balsa. It will always fit back together and actually be stronger with more surface area to glue to. Hurry up and finish it lmao. Kidding.

Very true. And it should be covered soon :) Now the question is Monokote or Ultracote?

Tony

Staff member
Go Ultra if you have the cash. The color is embeded into the covering whereas on Monokote it's on the botton layer. Meaning if you stick it to something and have to pull it up, it's likely to pull the color off the covering.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
The instructions say not to use any covering that would be weaker than monokote......I guess because the covering is supposed to add strength to the wing. Does it really make that much of a difference? I do need strong wings for the up start launcher

Tony

Staff member
Mono and Ultra will do great. Ultra I think is a little stronger actually. and yes, it's that important.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Just ordered the monokote from Tower, mainly because I could get my upstart system in the same order.......decided to go no motor :) one roll transparent blue.....one roll jet white

Tony

Staff member
That should look really good. Have you ever laid monokote before? If not, you will need an iron to do so. And it will take some getting used to. There are instructions with each roll that are pretty good and should help you out.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
I've covered two airplanes so far with the stuff.....and I can't say it's fun to work with, but if I take my time it'll look pretty good in the end. The smell of it when it heats of makes feel kind of dizzy...not sure that's such a good thing lmao

Tony

Staff member
lmao, You got that right about the smell, even just peeling the backing off makes it smell horrible. And I'm with you on it not being fun. I have a Telemaster that I need to recover because I jacked it all up lmao. But it was my first one too so...

Tony

Staff member
Sucks doesn't it? I thought about ordering it, but decided to head to my LHS instead lmao.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
The LHS where I live doesn't have a very large selection of covering stuff....so I'd have to order the colors I wanted and then pick them up in two days. Might as well have it shipped to my door :D

Tony

Staff member
Yeah I know what you mean. That is why my Telemaster is Red and Yellow lol. One of these days I will tear the covering off, replace it and maybe get that plane into the air. If I dont' start another project that is lmao.

Top Bottom