700 Gaba's Whiplash 90 E thread!!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
We will talk whiplash here .. :) the beauty was acquired on 3/26 from aero hobbies.

The bird was built and flown by George Brown -- whiplash team pilot. So yes it's built perfectly .. But it will be rebuilt by me :D

The bird has no scuffs nothing on it. Gears are brand spanking new.. Bearings feel very smooth . Very well kept like new .. Ill post more pics

Here it is :)

image-4062032276.jpg

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

image-4062032276.jpg

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i think your going to need a bigger car to haul that thing in
are you going to have it read for Austin

Austin plan got cancelled but that confirmed my Fort Worth plan now lol cause I was not used of going to two funfly 's in a month :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
what the heck you buy a new bird and cant go now

Yeah... The family plan that got postponed to make this plan had to be preponed so can't make that .. But will hopefully have it maidened by the Fort Worth fun fly

canongraphy

Gaba, you planning to drive with that sticking out the window? LOL
nice bro really nice, but we want to hear it roar! :)
gratz to you I am also jealous!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Alright :: here is a first look

It's a simple helicopter with very heavy duty components and a huge frame lol

Here it is :

Whiplash!!!!!!! 90e - YouTube

Cell phone cut out at that point as it ran out of space lol and I kept babbling. Lol

Enjoy the first look.. :)

And here it is with its predecessor.. Before it got disassembled and packed up

image-1957148793.jpg

image-1957148793.jpg

Last edited:

pvolcko

Looking very nice. Like the one piece gear boxes. Main gear looks very beefy. One way pinion off the motor will be interesting. Wonder why they went that route. I would expect that such a high RPM part would be a worse place to put such a bearing compared to a relatively low RPM main gear. Maybe the lower resistive torque and thus less torque induced deflection on the motor pinion is the overriding issue with one-way bearing life?

I also like that they strap the batteries up high in the undercarriage. Should reduce the inertial moment that needs to be overcome for rolls and loops (and stopping rolls and loops), making it pretty snappy compared to most other heli designs I've seen so far.

And I like how I keep learning more about what I just bought with each post you make. :) The canopy mount system looks like it should be very sturdy. I won't be pulling much backward or inverted flight for a while, so they won't be put to the test immediately. Good to know the positive locking they provide is there though.

canongraphy

Looking very nice. Like the one piece gear boxes. Main gear looks very beefy. One way pinion off the motor will be interesting. Wonder why they went that route. I would expect that such a high RPM part would be a worse place to put such a bearing compared to a relatively low RPM main gear. Maybe the lower resistive torque and thus less torque induced deflection on the motor pinion is the overriding issue with one-way bearing life?

I also like that they strap the batteries up high in the undercarriage. Should reduce the inertial moment that needs to be overcome for rolls and loops (and stopping rolls and loops), making it pretty snappy compared to most other heli designs I've seen so far.

And I like how I keep learning more about what I just bought with each post you make. :) The canopy mount system looks like it should be very sturdy. I won't be pulling much backward or inverted flight for a while, so they won't be put to the test immediately. Good to know the positive locking they provide is there though.

Hey Paul gratz to you too! your gonna have a great heli there too, make sure you share your build and flight with us please since we all love pics and vids! :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Ok .. Well.. The scoop... :)

Started the build yesterday. Started off pretty smooth... Started with the tail rebuild

All Laid out.. Starting the opening and closing process ..
image-2336572724.jpg

4mm carbon fibre with inbuilt bolt to screw in the pitch control arm.

image-3668247724.jpg

Never gonna have a torque tube slip.. Three evenly spaced bolts holding the tt on each end .. Ends are steel, and the torque tube is aluminum. Torque tube comes without those ends so you un install and re install them if you crash
image-730304488.jpg

Notice the 2 peice tail book block. With a carbon stiffener in the middle. The front part is all one metal peice. The two gears are Delrin....

image-2236226530.jpg

image-2277388324.jpg

Starting work on the motor mount and sprag bearing (pinion with one way)

Found out that the shaft I had to install for 700e on this puppy was too long... So i had to go to bill's house to use his machine shop and change out the shaft to shorter stock shaft on the motor.

image-382214831.jpg

The one way sprag bearing

image-2128257924.jpg

Then I moved on to the gear... To be honest I am stuck here. Something is up, and my gear mesh isn't smooth .. And like I said it comes predetermined from factory ... Well, I am having issues. It's not behaving. And I am a bit PO'ed... Regardless . Didn't take pics after that, but here it is on the table, with the main gear in right before I put the motor on

image-1243281380.jpg

The rest of the frame, ill probably just reloctite the screws .. Once I figure out the gear mesh thing here ...

image-2336572724.jpg

image-3668247724.jpg

image-2236226530.jpg

image-730304488.jpg

image-2277388324.jpg

image-382214831.jpg

image-2128257924.jpg

image-2368694679.jpg

image-1243281380.jpg

pvolcko

Cool one-way pinon bearing. So the pinon itself is only centered in the assembly by the motor shaft, otherwise it spins free? It's retained only by the integral top radial bearing and the bearing in the lower block. The one-way bearing collar will clamp down on the pinon via the sprung nubs in there. Interesting design.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Cool one-way pinon bearing. So the pinon itself is only centered in the assembly by the motor shaft, otherwise it spins free? It's retained only by the integral top radial bearing and the bearing in the lower block. The one-way bearing collar will clamp down on the pinon via the sprung nubs in there. Interesting design.

Yes very cool design.. But a little persnickety lol I found out I think what I was doing wrong.. Apparently a lot of people did the same causing gear mesh too tight. Ill fix it hopefully as u get home today :)

murankar

Staff member
I have that same design on my 450. I love it, no grub screws to hold it on. Now I can freely change it with out as many issues. The on thing I have noticed is that the pinions due cost a bit more but it is worth it in the end.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
This time I am trying to keep it clean on the build.
image-2311329539.jpg

The electronics are being installed and man, I am loving the direct to swash setup. It's gonna be easy to work on. All but the ikon is on it...

This should be setup by tonite..! :)

image-2311329539.jpg

murankar

Staff member
man now we have got to get some fly time. let me check and see whats going on in the next few months. i should be having a four day weekend coming up.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Absolutely loving the build of this bird.. Tons of space. No cramming of electronics. It all fits :)
The hyperion 3300 Life pack is in , no hanging parts, the castle ICE 2 160 is in too with no issues what so ever. I had to kind of cram those two in on my align bird .

The motor and the sprag bearing are not smooth as could be. Fully functional and aligned well. What was the problem: READ AND FOLLOW THE MANUAL!!!!!!! Lol

I know right .. Who reads the Manual these days lol

The ikon is setup and all servos are centered, zero pitch on mod stick 12 degrees of collective and 10 degrees of cyclic.

All I need to do to complete the bird now is to plug in the tail, setup tail slider limits and THAT'S IT!

It's ready.

One interesting thing was : my feathering spindle is 9mm instead of the align and all having 10mm so my one way grippy thing didn't work on the feathering shaft. BUT! The bolt holding the feather shaft is actually the same size as the blade grip bolt ... Don't know exact size but it one size bigger than the biggest size you get on the hex align and other screwdrivers . So I had to use an Allen key thing.. But man it's beefy!! Frame has no issues what so ever....!! I am loving this thing!!!!!!

All washers are 2mm carbon fibre in the head! It's amazing! They have giving carbon wherever they can. It's amazing.

Here is a pic

image-921961334.jpg

image-921961334.jpg

Top Bottom