Misc From the Ground Up

Ok so I will ask a question....
In this build I was considering using all plastic standoffs and plastic screws.
The plans for this quad call out the use of 16 aluminum 8mm stand offs for mounting the arms
to the frame.
Should I stick with aluminum for this area or can I get away with plastic.

Tony

Staff member
Aluminum will be stronger but the plastic will give you a sacrificial area in a crash.

In theory, if you have a 500g AUW quad, you will want motors that can handle 1.5x the weight. Meaning, you will want something that will do 125/lb/thrust*1.5. That would be 187.5/lb/thrust per motor. Now, this is going to depend on what motor you are running, what prop, wattage, kv, battery and so on. IMO, take a look at what the 300 size quads are running and start there. If that doesn't work, move up to the next size motor and try that.

I have been asked this question a lot and the real answer is just trial and error. There is no real regulation on how manufacturers come up with wattage rates so they are going to be different for each one.

Tony
Just so I am clear on this....as a basic starting point
Lets say the total weight of the finished quad including battery and FPV equipment is 600 grams
Now then 1.5 X 600g = 900 grams
I will need enough thrust between 4 motors to lift 900 grams... (900/4=225g per motor)
So if a motor that generates 250 grams of thrust at 100% throttle
then 4 x 250 = 1000g which should work out correct?
So I want to also question this...
What is the end result if you have a set of motors that are capable of pulling 2000 grams of combined thrust?
How would this affect efficiency.
I know efficiency is a touchy fine line but I am curious.

Last edited:
Well large holes are cut...next mark off and drill holes for arms and the lower plate spacer holes...after that...time to start building [emoji41]
uploadfromtaptalk1429321661881.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429321661881.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Tony
Just so I am clear on this....as a basic starting point
Lets say the total weight of the finished quad including battery and FPV equipment is 600 grams
Now then 1.5 X 600g = 900 grams
I will need enough thrust between 4 motors to lift 900 grams... (900/4=225g per motor)
So if a motor that generates 250 grams of thrust at 100% throttle
then 4 x 250 = 1000g which should work out correct?
So I want to also question this...
What is the end result if you have a set of motors that are capable of pulling 2000 grams of combined thrust?
How would this affect efficiency.
I know efficiency is a touchy fine line but I am curious.

That sounds great! As for the 2000g question, it's a matter of how large and heavy the motors are. You want the smallest motor you can get and still fly with ease. The only way I would break this rule is if I was going to carry a DSLR or something really heavy, then you would want all the extra thrust you can get.

Well large holes are cut...next mark off and drill holes for arms and the lower plate spacer holes...after that...time to start building [emoji41]
View attachment 14259

I'm telling ya, I want one of these hahaha.

Lol .
I pulled one of the arms from the 250 to get a visual for prop size. 6 inches will work fine and there is enough room for 7 inch props with at least 3/8 of an inch clearance all around.
If my numbers are right I may try out the same motors I have on the 250 which combined thrust should give me at least 10 percent more than the weight calls for. The 6045s might be a bit too aggressive so I may try 6030s.
I can test out the arms with motors from my 250 and if it all works out I will order 4 more arms/motors and give the 250 life again.

Ok another question.
Is it recommended to place the FCB centralized on the frame?
I assume so due to the GYRO and other self leveling aspects?

Stambo

I have always been told FC must be centrally mounted, or as close as possible, and have never done otherwise.

Tony

Staff member
Dude, that thing is looking bad ass. Love the little ESC tray on that thing.

Ahem, yup... I still want one!!! lmao.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I don't think those props are going to do much the way they are sitting on there hahahaha. You will be in the air soon enough. I just received my blue tooth for my cc3d today. Can't wait to get the time to hook that thing up and really get to tuning that thing. and man, shipping was smoking fast from HK for that little guy. I'm talking 3-4 days!

Well all motors, esc's and FCB is ordered.
Ordered another flight receiver as well.
Now to pick up a battery alarm since the CC3D
does not have one built in.
I believe my local guy has them in stock for under 10 bucks
I will stop in there on Wednesday to check it out.
I also ordered something that is a little surprise
and once I review it and take some video I will reveal it....muuhhh hhaaaa haaaa haaaa.
:)

Tony

Staff member
The bluetooth module allows me to program the CC3D without hooking up the USB cable. I have not installed it yet, been hella busy here lately. But I will be installing it this weekend if I can get time. Still have to paint the wifes BRAND FRIGGIN NEW CAR once the parts get here. Sorry, still not happy about that lol. But you can use the bluetooth adapter for a computer, or you can use your cell phone. There are a few different apps out there for android, not sure about apple though.

And sounds like the project is coming right along. As for the "surprise", I hate surprises... lmao.

Lol...I'm getting close. Waiting on motors fcb and esc's to arrive then time to slap it together. I am hoping that mid next week it will be in its final chapter.
Then I get to go crash it lololol...hope not hehe.
So curious how much was this Bluetooth device? Got a part number? Curious about it now.

Top Bottom