Finally!!! I Own A Real Helicopter...

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Glad you got it! How is your first impression of the heli after opening the box. How dose it compair to the clones?

Tony

Staff member
There is no comparison between the two. I like it. Just finished shooting the first of many videos on the build.

wolfman76

good deal tony can't wait to see it fly too.... The next heli purchase i make if i make 1 will be a nitro heli i am thinking maybe a thunder tiger 50 size have always wanted a nitro heli ever since i got into this hobby at age 10 and i am 36 now so it has been awhile by buddy in long beach has 2 or 3 thunder tiger nitro he has even flown with the szabos man that would be so cool he has even flown with helifreaks finless bob he actually lives down the street from him..i plan on going to IRCHAA this year already told my lady we will be making the trip i grew up like 40 mins from muncie anyways so i make it a trip to c my fam maybe even try to get my mom and her husband to go with us...Plus i think it be good way to c what deals they have at flea markets while we are there too...i deff get photos and videos when i am there will have to take lappy with me so i can upload video from cam once it is full to keep video rolling...

Tony

Staff member
If you are looking for a nitro, why not look into the Align series? Some of the best out there IMO.

As for my bird, I just finished up shooting part 2 and 3 and we have something that kinda looks like a helicopter now. The head is done and the frame is put together. The gyro is installed but I still need to hook it up to the computer and reverse the rudder gyro since I installed it in position 1 and not 2. Just a much cleaner install IMO by putting it in the frame. and with them leaving the cutouts for the wires when it's installed, it's a no brainer.

Right now I'm downloading the video from my camera onto my computer then I will start the editing. Don't expect anything on youtube until Monday though unfortunately. Tomorrow I really want to get the heli finished up and get all of the video shot and I would love to put it in the air so it can have it's first crash lmao. Yeah right, I'm the hover master just so I don't crash lmao. We will see though if I can get everything done to it including setting up the DX8 on video as well as the gyro. It's all just for fun!

Tony

Staff member
Spooled her up for the first time just a little bit ago to check blade tracking and make sure everything was working. Seems to be doing great. Man, let me tell you though, the learning curve on the 3GX is a biotch until you understand it lol. Took me forever to figure out the different settings and I'm sure I still don't have it correct lmao. Right now I'm running the 1.2 firmware in the gyro, and I'm thinking about putting the 2.0 in there just to test it out. I can always go back if I want. The maiden is so close!!!

heli-maniac

once you get it set its easy from there i found that for the head holding #s for the tail gyro are reversed
i got to hover mine a little then i had a tail hit now got to get new gears thats a bummer seems to me its going to be alot easier to fly than the fly bar heli
the stock settings for the 3gx are stable i just got to tweek on it a small amount and it should be rock solid i like it

Tony

Staff member
Just took it out for it's first hover to dial in the aileron and elevator rates. Dude, this thing is almost cheating it's so stable lol. I was able to get a wag out of the tail at 65%, backed it off to 58% and she is rock solid in idle up. Normal mode and she will still blow out on a full pitch pump. I did it and almost crapped my pants when it was right above me facing stage left lmao. But, the settled right into a hover and was just as easy bringing around as anything else. Not bad for my first real flight in a long time with a heli. Now I just need the nerves to go away lol. I don't feel this crap when I'm flying a plane lmao.

:yahoo: AND I STILL HAVE TAIL GEARS LEFT!!! :yahoo:

If any of you followed my last EXI TT build, two flights, two stripped gears. This one, so far two batteries and the same set of gears lol. w00t!

Tony

Staff member
Well crap, there is an issue with my editing software so it may be a bit longer before I can get the videos edited and uploaded. Ah well, it's only time :biggrin1:

- - - Updated - - -

At least "I" know it flies hahaha

Tony

Staff member
Yup, what I didn't take a pic of was the ends of the tail blades lol. I had the ele and ail set to low on the gain and it was quite hard to fly. Ended up hitting the ground on the very first take off lmao. But, the gears are still there :yahoo: I will be uploading video once I get everything fixed on my editing software.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Looking good Tony! I'm glad to see your finally in the air with a bird you can fly withour parts flying off! Lol how did she feel? How much fun did you have? I hope it wasn't too much fun! Lol

Tony

Staff member
the first takeoff was a little iffy. I didn't know what to expect out of the heli and it showed that I had not been in the air with one in some time. But, after some adjustments it was pretty stable. I think if I update the firmware from 1.2 to 2.1 it should get better.

I will be taking the helicopter to work with me today just to hook it up to the computer and play with the settings. However there will be NO flying lol. Almost been fired once for that, it's not going to happen again. I also need to make some adjustments in the DX8 to help with the stability of the heli. Once everything is figured out, I will not only be doing a video on it, but also a full writeup in the articles section on it as well. Some people can't watch videos because of bandwidth, so I will try to do a step by step with pictures on different setups.

If you have any suggestions on what you would like to see, just let me know and i will see what I can do. I'm loving this heli even though I only flew it once so far. I can assure you, I will be flying this one much more than any of my others. Clone to quality, it's like night and day.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah well, I just updated the firmware from 1.2 to 2.1 so I have to do a complete setup on it again. IT's going to be like a whole new maiden flight lol. But trust me, I will be getting plenty of flights in with this bird!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Noiiiiice!!! Tony! This is great man!! Beautiful heli!! You'll have fun.

Dfc main shafts are in stock in hobby shops and all. The head comes with one too. Haven't been here for soo long ... Sooooo much to catch on to. Glad I found this thread. :)

My 450 is still down. Haven't touched it. I am gonna rebuild that sucker too. :)

Top Bottom