Setups Fatshark Goggles

Tony

Staff member
Dude, I have been looking at all of the different goggles for over a week, and I'm no closer to a decision. There are a crap ton of options out there. And I have no idea where to start.

Derek

There are definitely a lot of options. From the Fatshark BASE goggles, at $259, to the Zeiss Cinemizer OLED Video Glasses, at $789, (based on prices at ReadyMadeRC). I have the Dominator V1 and they work very well. I paid $300 for them. They are comfortable and easy to use. I believe it was Lee that recommended the Dominators to me. These have the compartment on the left side for the onboard vrx, so that I can be completely wireless. They also have the compartment on the right for the head tracking unit, if i'd desire.

Unless you are looking for the HD goggles, you could probably find an inexpensive used set.

Slobberdog

The dominators seem to be the go to glasses, the v1 and v2 you can change the vrx so you can run 5.8 or 2.4,

the skyzones have an onboard camera so you can see out front without taking the goggles off, great resolution and FOV

Personally I think I will be ending up with the Predator v2's as they seem to be the best value for money as you get the camera and vtx and battery well you get everything needed in one package,

the Dominators and Skyzones you have to buy the Vtx and power board and camera on top of the goggles price.

its either Quality and FOV

or

Price and reduced FOV and resolution

Tony

Staff member
I have it down to the Predators and the Attitudes. There is a $130 difference, both come with 250mw Tx's and cameras. The predator comes with 100º and the Attitude has a 100º with both being 35º on the lens for the goggles. Ugh, I just dont' know lol.

Tony

Staff member
It's about $600 for the Dominators, Rx, Tx(600mw), antennas and camera. Little rich for my blood, so dominators are out. But then again, I don't want to get something that I'm just going to want to upgrade later. But if I get this, I'm not going to have to worry about having any more kids, cause my wife would cut my junk off in my sleep... But then again, I don't want anymore kids... :thinking:

Slobberdog

Yes both have a 100 deg camera but the attitudes have a 35 deg FOV and the predators have a 25 deg FOV the display quality is better on the attitudes as well

The attitudes have head tracker built in but you have to buy a battery, well at least with HK you do,

Stambo

This might help a little.
I have the Pedator V2 and they are great, an almost mandatory upgrade is a 600tvl camera.
I have this Sony cam, http://www.surveilzone.com/sony-sup...r-mini-camera-2.8mm-lens-d-wdr-osd-fpv-hs1171
At some stage I will probably get the Base goggles as an upgrade, not because I need to, the Predators are fine but I must have left them in direct sun at some stage and one screen has a spot on it.
It can be repaired, but not until I have something to replace it with. :)
I fly tethered to a base station so the Base goggles are an obvious choice for me.
If I was starting from scratch the Dominator or Attitudes would be my target.

Fatshark.jpg

Fatshark.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Looking at that image that you posted stambo, teh Dominator V2 actually does have the DVR built in like the HD's. I feel the DVR would be great to record flights (since everyone wants to see flight footage lol) to play back later. And I'm pretty sure the Dom V2's also have the HDMI port as well. Oh the options with these darn things lol.

Tony

Staff member
Hey Lee, you had posted a setup for the dom v2's, and I can't for the life of me find it. I figure if I'm going to jump into this, I might as well do it right. I'm thinking about the Dom V2's, 600mw immersionrc Tx, Rx module, 600TVL Sony camera and the immersionRc antennas. I know, it's rich for my blood. but again, if I'm going to do it, might as well do it right. I have found the Tx from immersionRc that is 250mw, and quite honestly, I think that will be enough, but want everyone's thoughts on this.

Stambo

LOL, if you are anything like me, you want them NOW!! :)
Yesterday would be even better.

I broke the antenna mount off my 600mw vtx in a crash.
When you mount it, I suggest a little pigtail to a hard mounted antenna on the frame.
I am now using the 250mw and it is fine so far although I will get another 600, or maybe the new Fatshark 700.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I saw the 700 and seriously thought about it. But, ended up going with the 600mw by immersionRc. I also got the circular polarized antennas for a little better range, not that I will need it with 600mw lmao.

And yes, I want them! lmao. Thankfully, everything is coming from two different suppliers, Horizon and a member on ebay. Both of which I have done business with and they both ship quite fast. It was a huge purchase, but most of the money went into the goggles which should be with me for quite some time. And when I'm tired of them, the resale value of them seems to be quite high.

I have been wanting to get into FPV for a few years, so this is long overdue.

Lee

You are gonna love it.
I have a 600mW VTX as well. Did the same thing as Stambo, and broke off the antenna mount.
Make sure its not sticking out at all. Mount the VTX with easily break away zip ties, to reduce the stress on the unit in a crash.
Now I have a 200mW 32ch mini unit. Difference in size and weight is huge, and no issues with range yet.

Cheap-Mini-5.8G-32CH-200mW-Transmitter-FPV.jpg

bbj

I also have been looking into goggle and thinking of purchasing the not released yet dominator HD V2 which has a 50º view angle. The issue is I am confused as to which vtx to purchase for it. I saw there is a Fat Shark NexWave 5G8 with Race Band and features 32 channels on the 5GHz band. Would this be a good vtx or should I look into 2.4 or 1.2 instead? On my 250 quad I am using a Sony Super HAD II CCD-IR with a 2.8 lens camera and TS5823 32 channel 5G8 200mw transmitter. Any suggestions of features or accessories I should think about would be greatly appreciated .

bbj

I was thinking of this fatshark receiver http://www.getfpv.com/fat-shark-5-8ghz-5g8rx-32ch-race-band-receiver-module-for-dominators.html
using maybe this antenna http://www.getfpv.com/5-8-ghz-spironet-antenna-set-sma.html
I am unsure if the fatshark dominator V3 goggles would be better for my quad http://www.getfpv.com/fpv/video-goggles/fatshark-dominator-v3-fpv-goggles.html[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
or the not released yet fatshark dominator HD V2 goggles http://www.getfpv.com/fpv/video-goggles/fat-shark-dominator-hd-v2-fpv-goggles.html Would I get a better experience with HD V2 or the new V3 goggles and what is the main difference between these other than price?

On my 250 quad I have this transmitter http://www.surveilzone.com/mini-5.8g-32ch-video-audio-200mw-wireless-transmitter-fpv-ws1174
and this camera http://www.surveilzone.com/fpv/fpv-camera/sony-super-had-ccd-600tvl-fpv-ir-block-camera-2.8mm-lens[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

Tasajara

This is the pig tail I used on my BlackOut Spider Hex
Or use one like this... Pig Tail
On the SkyZone you use and adapter to use these cables, SkyZone is just the reverse they have a SMA Male, where the FatShark & ImmersionRC have SMA Female connectors for the Antennas

I thought about trying some of the new ReadyMadeRC VTx's
RMRC Cricket - 5.8GHz Video Transmitter with Race Band - 200mW
I have had mixed results in my area with the skyzone VTx, no issues with my FatShark 250mw or my new ImmersionRC - Race Band 200mW 5.8GHz

Last edited:

Derek

How have you been, Craig? I have had no issues with my Immersion gear, either, but I've also been considering getting the RMRC Cricket 5.8ghz. I don't know much about them nor any differences between the Cricket and what I have already....but....I'm getting into a few more FPV models and I'll be looking for onboard stuff. I hope you share your opinions and experience with the new stuff.

Top Bottom