Prop Extra 300 Foamy

talberter

I wish I could muster up that much enthuziasum. I don't have alot of stuff on hand and I have to run somewhere for something every time I turn around. Then there is always the matter of funds lately.

But, good job. I like the milk jug idea !!!!

Tony

Staff member
That looks like the RC Powers Extra 300. I have built and flown that one. Not real fast, but will get the job done if you are looking to have fun. Just get ready for it, the control surfaces mean business. Lots of expo are needed on this plane.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Ok, I finished up my El Cheapo Extra 300S made from the dollar foam board. I took it out today in the front yard and was going to try and put it in the air but the motor started acting up, it's like the bell is out of alignment or a bearing going bad. I have a BP Hobbies 2210-13 ith a 10x5 prop. I'm going to go to the hobby shop tomorrow and see if I can get another motor they only cost like $18 and are awesome performers. What little time I had I held it up and gave it throttle and it will hover at about 3/4 stick I guarantee it. So, I'll let you know what happens tomorrow evening. I have a 370 motor but decided that it would be to much for this plane.

My wife gave me $300.00 for Christmas so there is no telling what I will come home with tomorrow. I've already purchased a BP hobbies 2208-12, 18amp esc, another 10x5 prop, and four bluebird 9g servos. Oh, I almost forgot I ordered one of these too. I'm going to use it for a pattern.

gpma1129-main.jpg

Heres what my scratch built looks like now.. I built this one in a hurry. The next one will be perfect.

IMG_2968.jpg
IMG_2969.jpg
IMG_2970.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Do you have a spar on the under side connecting the two on top? If not, you may want to consider it. The wings will flex and tear right there at the sharp angle where they meet the fuse. Otherwise, it looks great. Can't wait to see it in the air.

Tony

Staff member
Yup. I used 2mm carbon rod on mine, and it only broke when I hit a power poll lol. If you have 3-4mm, it will be even better.

Tony

Staff member
Also, if you notice that there is just a little too much weight, take one of the aileron servos off the plane and use one in the center. That is the way most of them are setup, but they are also looking to be as light as possible. If you have enough motor, then it shouldn't be an issue. Now hurry up and get that thing in the air lol.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
I held it up today and spun up the motor before it started acting up and i can tell it going to be a good one. I weighed it with out the servos and hardware and it weighed 9.9 oz's. It's proly going to top out at about 14oz's without the bat.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
I went ahead and purchased a decent motor today. I got a Eflite 370 and two slow flyer props, a 10x7 and a 7x5 (i think) and a bottle of foam safe CA and a water acrylic paint pak for me airbrush. Anyways, the motor is awesome (couldn't fly because of the wind). I almost got a Extra 300 30s 51.2" wing span. It was on sale for $200.

I also started another extra 300 foamy, this time I am taking my time and making it out of the Dollar Tree foam board. The sheets are about 19" X 30" so I had to super glue two sheets toether to make it wide enough to get a solid 36" wing span. I like this board becase it it really light and rigid. After I cut all my parts out I weighed them ai it came to 4.5 oz. I believe I'm going to weigh in after all the electrics at about 8 oz. That is really light. I did put a 4mm carbon tube the full lenght of the wind span and added a 3mm solid spar in the front of the elevator and a 2mm spar on the actual elevaor. To keep it from twisting on me in flight I am going to put side braces on the legnth of the fuse.

If the weather keeps me in tomorrow i'm going to test some of the new paint colors on the new build.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Extra 300 Foamy Version 2

I took my time on this one and made it from the dollar tree foam board. Here is my progress. I tested out my new paints, Looks pretty good and weighs 4.9 ounces at this stage.
IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

As you can see every thing is line up perfectly.

zapster

That looks awesome i really like the graphics,way better than mine ,very sharp.After flying mine with a 2200 all i can say to you is mine the cg was 1/3 from the leading front wing edge witch in theory is right but was nose heavy. IMO use a 600-1000 to keep it slowed down and have fun.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Got some of the hardware mounted, All I got left is the Elevator and Rudder servo to go. It's been pretty cold here in Bama so it might be a while before I can get out.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, the weather here in oklahoma is turning to crap as well. Rain most of the day yesterday, then the temps fell, and they are calling for ice, sleet, and snow tomorrow. good times lol.

Top Bottom