450 EXI 450 Problems

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Tony!! Man m in trouble. The 450 build has started ok ok... :( I think I spoiled a servo by touching blue thread locker to it, the hole where it sits is withering.

Took my head assembly off to work on the rest of the heli like lock titing and all, but now I am noticing a considerable wobble in the main gear so much so that I tried mounting the motor I can see the pinion making contact and then getting less contact, tried the revisit paper thing but this wobble is killing me..

Exi managed to strip one of my h screws in body. Totally circular, can't even unscrew it. Donno what to do. Not so important but still...

Couldn't get any ball links to open. All too tight, so didn't bother trying too mich they were just getting stripped, wanted to locktite but couldn't, don't know now if it's good or bad.

The tail. I tried taking screws out one by one.. Well, didn't just strip a few, but it seems a little tight. I put all washers in place, and also tried loosening some, it helps but I have nothing to compare to the smoothness of tail pitch servo arm.

That's the major ones till now.

Can I fix my servo by using some material, or do I just order a new one? I am just scared to put anything else on it... I knew I should have had a spare for servos... (dang it!!)

Also the tail servo Arm is too long if I put those clamps to lout the servo on. How to shorten them?

What time are you on chat on this forum now? It'd be great if I xxould talk to you!! Or someone! Thanks man!

Help me!!!!

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Re: You Log In, You Post In Here

Tony is on in the evenings and into the morning ... kinda surprised he wasn't on when you posted this :chuckles: Sounds like you have a few "challenges" there. I hope they all get worked out. Good luck and I hope things go better.

Tony

Staff member
Hey bud, I moved this here so that it's in a better spot for others to find it.

Man, sounds like you are having one problem after another lol. Welcome to the works of knock off kits.The servo I would need to see to let you know what you need to do. I'm sure that the servo will be fine, but I would still need to see it to be sure.

as for the rest, I will be on here most of the day if you want to hit me up. Well, unless the wind dies, then I'm going flying lol

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
my elevator servo which sits on top of the main gear, is not fitting right in the frame. The alignment is off by almost a full mm. PLease help this... pic is attached!

photo.jpg

Tony

Staff member
wow, that is interesting. I guess you have a couple options. One, you can drill a new hole so that it will mount. Or, you can widen the mounting hole on the servo and use a washer to keep it in place. either way I don't like, but it looks like you have no choice. All of mine line up perfect on my heli, so I don't know what changed for the pro version....

Lee

If you do find a screw is too tight and is starting to strip. STOP! Get a soldering iron and hold it against the screw head for a few minutes. That will break down the threadlock and it should come out easier. Also check the allen key head as they are used more and more they start to round off. It happened to mine and screws started to strip where before i had had no problem. I just grind down the key to get rid of the bad bit. Bad luck mate, seems you got some issues there.

Keith

That's a good tip Lee... Probably will not work with the handle ones as there's not a lot of head to grind down, but will definitely try it on the Allen keys..

Anyone recommend a good screwdriver type 1.5mm hex.? You can get a lot more leverage than an Allen key with a good one...

Most things I buy I go for a good price but I don't mind spending a bit more to get good reliable tools...

Tony

Staff member
Another way to get stripped screws out is to take a dremel with a cutoff wheel and cut a slot in the bolt. Then, just use a flat screw driver and take it out.

As for tools, I use the set pictured below. I can take out every screw on every helicopter except the 250 (small torx) and the 600 (blade grip bolts). It's an excellent set of drivers.

And that is a great tip about the soldering iron Lee.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I purchased those a LONG time ago lol. Those actually were not mine, just a pic, mine are in way worse shape hahaha. See below for the actual pics. But, you can get them at any of your local hobby shops.

These are mine. Like I said, they are old haha. But, the only one that I have had to replace the tip on, is the red one, the .050. That brings up another thing, these are ASE, you need metric on these helicopters. And yes, the lid is broke... Again.... for about the 6th time lol. A little CA, and it will be good as new.....

77af137e.jpg

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
hey y'all.. thanks for the reply.. i am excited about this build...

I am working out the issues slow ans steady.. i have stripped a couple screws, and also gotten some crappt screwdrivers rounded off in this one build...

I have made a video on my phone of the 450 to have you guys look and hear how it sounds like.. My tail servos are on the way, i havent mounted / sorted any wires correctly, just installed the electronics..

Now.. the video shows my wobbly gear. The one it came with was wobbly too and didnt have the shim on it (or i lost it), so i replaced it with a replacement i had ordered. THe main shaft, came pretty good, but i stripped the hex screw on the middle of the shaft that acts as a stop so i took it out and put a replacement one in it.. that one came with a built in stopper no adjustment involved. just straight on metal ring as a part of the whole shaft.. it seemed pretty straight to me.

Now, the heli sounds, I am not sure if they are right or not. I just ask for suggestions from the video.

I am thinking about doing a full write up of all the problems I had in the build. i donno how i'll get all the pics, probably will have to take apart some parts.. but i'll see..

I also found out from TRAVIS (on Mikeys) that his EXI 450 had the same problem of the elevator servo not fitting. It was 1 mm off the hole provided for it on the frame. So, he also did the same as I did and as I was suggested by tony, I made the hole bigger on the servo and used a 2mm flat washer. that worked perfect... so its in now.
here's the video i was talking about...

Regards
Gaba

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
That actually sounds really good. The "chopping" sound that you are talking about is coming from the warpped main gear. sadly, that is normal for the cheap gears. The only way to get rid of it is to get an align main gear and Align pinion. Everything else sounds great. That is just how they sound. Just wait until you put blades on it lmao.

You have a great start. Keep it up and you will be in the air in no time.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hey y'all.. this is how far I am right now.
its all mounted.. just the tail servo, which will be in any minute.!!

wires all done, rx mounted. Please remember this is my First build so things might not be as tidy...

please leave suggestions, Critics and comments. Anything you think wil help me at this stage. things have been pretty smooth after the servo crazy.. just waiting for the last servo and my pitch gauge.. then i will be hovering (hopefully) lol.

PLease feel free to critic this as much as u want. Any suggestion is welcome and happily accepted! :)

Thanks for y'alls help!!

image-3.jpg

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

image.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-7.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-6.jpg

image-5.jpg

Looking great Gaba, yeah as Tony said thats the main gear making that noise all the cheap gears do, I also have to get new main gear for my 450 too.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hey guys.. I am a pickle I think knee deep... :( HELP!! this tail is getting on my nerve!

So... i installed the tail servo and connected it to the gyro and all.. centered the servo arm and u know the usual... now.. tried to move the rudder.... i thought it was moving in the wrong direction (notice i didnt change the DS switch yet, it was off i think ) . So, took my ittle screw driver, and put the DIR switch in reverse direction. The servo made a noise, and it all "looked" ok. SO, I realized that crap the servo is actually going in the wrong direction now, i was looking at it wrong, and now it needs to put back in where it was. I see and notice that the DS is off, so i say -- crap! and I change it. Then i try to change the dir switch, it slides to the opposite direction but i dont see a difference in the direction of the servo. it is still reversed, i say right the tail slider goes right and i say left and the tail slider goes left. The tx and RX were all on at this point. And then i thought i should restart the system. .. NO CHANGE... I reversed the direction of the rudder in the TX, but that only corrects the direction not the gyro movement. the gyro is correcting wrong i think. I am stuck.. did i break it?? is there a way to fix this issue on the TX without touching the gyro.. can i open the gyro and make adjustments in it?
TONY.. i know you have opened a gyro before man! can u tell me that is there something that can be done? or am i doing anything wrong? I saw your video for tail setup too, thats how i found out that the directions were wrong finally.

Also,, the tail gets locked because the links move too far in, in one of the directions. (if it was turning the right way, If i push the right rudder, and the rider on tail goes all the way back.. it gets stuck because the link bends in too much. Can i fix this on the tx or rx or gyro.. or hardware?? please help guys!

THANKS A TON!

Tony

Staff member
You got it correct that if it's backwards with stick input, you reverse it in the Tx. If it's backwards when you move the tail (gyro correcting) then you need to reverse the gyro switch. It's kinda hard to see, but you can see it. Just turn the limit all the way up so it moves more. Also, unless you have a digital servo, Don't turn the DS switch on, it will burn up that MG90S quickly. Let me know if this helps.

And do not open the gyro lol. There is nothing to adjust in there.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yes it helped! The tail is moving right and correcting right! The locking problem is still kinda there.

Also I am not sure, when spoiling up, in hh mode, tail wants to go to the right. How to fix it or say where! ? Limit?? I have my limit, say if the max of limit is 140 I think, mine is like 80, dead center of the dial. Where to fix this! Or say how? My gyro in tx 65 perc in hh as shown in your video.

Please lemme know!

Thanks! :)

Tony

Staff member
Spooling up will make the tail want to go to the right (Nose Left). Just try to spool up slower. To make the adjustments to the gyro, you need to get it in the air first.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
hey tony,

can you please tell me what measurements to use from the TREX manual.. i mean which manual to use and or where to find it?? I am hoping to finish the setup tonite.. I have more than two adjustable linkages. Please let me know what mm size they are supposed to be. I have this video link... please tell me how valid will it be for mine? it had only two linkage lengths decribed, probably the others are fixed. Is there any way i can now the lengths of the fixed ones? so i can set my adjustables to the same?

anything... :)

HELP !! :) :)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom