450 EXI 450 Problems

Whirlybird

Once you reverse mount the servo as suggested, you will have plenty of room to get a good 90 on the tail control linkage by sliding the servo assembly on the boom :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
@Jolly at first I did not understand what you said there, I am sure U were saying it right, lol, but I am a little slow.. Then I saw tr911's pic and understood what y'all were talking about... THANKS A LOT for the feedback I really appreciate it. About the second comment, I was sure when I eyed it that it was straight, and yes, I use the same way to line it up, but after the video realized. ohhhhh it was not. I will correct these two things tonight. any thing u can say about the binding / locking ?

@tr911. THANKS a lot!! for the pic, really helped me understand what everyone was talking about. I appreciate that!

@keith The head and tail on this are metal already, M not sure if the pitch slider and all are supposed (or can be) metal too... but if not, then I am stuck literally.. lol

For everyone else! I thank you for ur feedback. It helps me a TON! please do watch my coming video on the final final setup of the tail. I hope this thing finally gets in the air steady! :)

Lee

The binding is due to the pitch arms becoming completely locked straight. They then cannot bend again after that. As said you need to turn your servo round then you can get the pitch slider in the middle of the shaft and the binding will be gone.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Alright guys!! the D days is here.. or as I would think. lol.. My tail is all set. The screw that had gotten loose in the last post, now just broke because i tightened it too much. Luckily they have given me a spare and I replaced it. The tail was setup like y'all recommended.

I limit the servo movement. I am not sure if -->59% travel is good or not. if its too low, let me know. I did have to give quite a bit of right rudder to make it go right while hovering.

Some guys were partying right by the grassy area where I was hovering, so I had a hufe audience, all lined up to see this monstrosity hover. lol. Well, I gave one of the guys my phone to make a video, started the recording, and everything still he didnt record it... NOTHING! guess they were too drunk.. lol.. anywhew...

issues : The problem of spool up and loos of power returned, and this time with some wierd noises ( like sparks) but i couldnt see any) .. anywaz.. i kept spooling it up, and broke out of that issue and spooled up fine after that. It was like the battery was not delivering full power. The first battery was working fine, but it was half way gone already this oe was charged, but I had changed it last try(when i made that "wierd tail issues" video) thinking that it was not charged, but found out it was a voltage issue with esc or someting. Any waz.. it finally. started flying..

The first time i tried, the tail went ina freakin pyro.. at 50 perc throttle. I freaked out, but realized that the gyro needs to be reversed. Then after that. Again tried a hover. Tail was steady as a rock. i was too happy. It needs a little trim here and there. But apart from that. I did a full battery and a half on it just hover. And landed safe. just beautiful! :) I am very happy !

posting a video of my tail pitch slider after the changes. I think I have 90 degrees on both ends of the rod... and well, any suggestions are welcome. i will oil this though... it'll definately help...

but do tell me something about the power loss. I will charge the batteries again and try if it happens again..

photo 2.jpg

photo 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

L PLATER

The travel adjust depends on whether you have enough movement to control the tail.

Check all connections on the rx as well as the esc, having said that, some batteries don't hold charge for any extended period, if the battery is puffy it may have some bad cells, get a voltage checker they are very helpfull when looking at cell damage.

Cheers

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Tail looks purdy good. What do you have the gain on the transmitter set at? The battery and power issues will be a Tony question. He knows all about voltage, amps, and watts of other stuff. :D

Tony

Staff member
As for your travel adjustment, I always take it right to the point of binding. I have had it as low as 30%, but then I moved the ball in so I would get more servo travel out of it. If you had to move the stick a lot just to get the tail to move, then you need to lower your expo. I have had that problem as well. If you are at 35%, lower it to 20% and see how you like it (on the tail only if you are happy with the cyclic).

The power issue could be a number of things. It could be a weak battery (but since you used other batts, not likely). It could also be an ESC that is starting to go out. This is where I would put my money. If you are hearing noises like sparks, then something is wrong. This could be a short, or it could be a bad bearing making that sound (Yup, I have heard it lol). So, the next time you fly a battery through it, right after you land, you need to check everything for heat. Resistance creates heat, so if it's hot, then there is some kind of resistance. This is normal with the batt, motor and ESC, but not with bearings.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
OK tony... i will definately check the bearing for heat.. major bearing to check would be the main block, feathering shaft, tail grips right or are there any other ones that go too fast??

let me know! I will charge the batteries, and see what happens in the next flight.. I'll try to record the sounds if I hear them again. I heard the sounds when i was loosing power, but as soon as gained the power back, I tried stopping and respooling again and again, never heard a thing...
Donno...lets c.. :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Well guys... My 450 has not stopped amazing me yet... Lol...

If any of y'all have read my crash thread, my battery or something basically pooped out on me mid flight and I made a very bad auto rotation attempt... well... After rebuilding it all, I did what Tony said... Hovered it on both batteries. To my surprise the battery in suspicion lasted me whole 5.30 mins of stable hover. And my other battery too... So back to back I hovered this bird for about 10mins... Non stop. No issues. It hovers beautiful. Needs rudder trim, but that's fine..

Any thing you guys night suspect?? I am not sure what else to check. Don't want it to go out mid flight again. Let me know! :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Guys, I need help...

I am on the verge of putting my 450 in the closet here.. lol.. just because the money is tight, and the LHS just charged me ridiculous amounts of money trying to fix my main center hub, and i told him it would be still wobbly but just because he didnt have an align part (which i went to get anywaz).. Well, here I am .. heli all set and as everone said... crazy vibration. Now please keep in mind, money has gone too too tight after today as i bought a bunch of spares for mcpx.. which didnt work by the way for some reason too. (just having a bad day i think), but anywhew.. m stuck.. Now I cant spend 27 bucks +shipping on one part. I need this :

http://www.hobbypartz.com/exi-31101.html (which obviously is out of stock)

so I have these similar looking deals... ( i will probably grab two each of any of these and one or two pair of blades) so please help me pick what I need for my exi 450.. IT IS NOT A PRO HEAD.. IT IS A SPORT / OLD TREX HEAD.

These are my options :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11468
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9197
http://www.hobbypartz.com/hy-450-602.html (i dont think this may fit... but just throwing it in there)
http://www.hobbypartz.com/18h-mm0002.html

PLEASE HELP ME! THANKS A LOT GUYS... I really really appreciate it!

Lee

Be sure which you have, You said its a Sport Head. The sport head is the V3 which is slightly wider. What you are looking at it the V2.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Be sure which you have, You said its a Sport Head. The sport head is the V3 which is slightly wider. What you are looking at it the V2.

Hey lee. I measured my head... Exactly 17mm damper to damper and the diameter of the neck where see saw sits, is 9mm... Is it
A v2 head? Please let me know then is it ok to buy that HK head or
Not.. thanks! :)

Xheli lies for it being a sports(v3) then lol. let me know! :)

Lee

Yep thats the V2 head. I bought mine to replace one from my original HK450GT head but i'm using a V3 Sports head now so the whole V2 Head is spare. If you want the whole head with the new Head block i will sell it to you. Not sure how much the postage would be though. Might not be worth it to you.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hey lee. M interested. How much do you want to sell it for? Is there a way to figure out the shipping? My zip code is 76013 US. if you bychance have any spare head blocks just lying around, I'll take those too. But, just let me know how much you want for it, and I will see if it's better to buy from HK...

Lemme know. :) thanks ! :)

It's a full HK450gt head right?

Top Bottom