450 EXI 450 Pro Shaft Version (TT, Torque Tube)

Tony

Staff member
Full build video is now in the first post. Hope you got time. It also includes the maiden flight, or what should have been the maiden...

Tony

Staff member
Okay, in the videos, I said that I was going to make a bracket so that I could mount my 9g servo in the stock location where the 26g is supposed to go. Well, I ended up putting the 26g off my 500 on there. As of today, I have made the bracket, and now have the DXI D213F digital tail servo on the heli, and it holds rock solid in idle up. But, as I was flying it today, I kept hearing a very weird noise come out of it. So, after about 5 minutes of flying, and bouncing this thing all around the place, I landed it. There are a number of teeth missing on the drive gear for the TT. I didn't hit anything, and they still broke. So, I'm going to replace the main gear, auto rotation gear, tail drive gear, and every other gear on this heli with Align, and if they still break in normal flight, I'm going back to a belt. The good news is I didn't crash it with this problem, so it's still in one piece. But, the canopy is rubbing the main gear, so I have to cut some relief slots in there for that issue...

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Were you flying when the teeth broke on the gear? Also, how many teeth are on your pinion gear?

Tony

Staff member
Yes, I was flying when it was losing teeth. But, it didn't strip all the way out so I was able to land it. I'm not sure about the tooth count on the pinion, it's whatever comes stock with the Alpha 400.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Well that just sux Tony. Glad you were able to land safely. If it were me, the heli would have been in a crumpled mass on my driveway, lol.

Tony

Staff member
Nah, it never slipped or anything, you ould just hear the difference in sound. So, I landed it.

Tony

Staff member
Well, while I'm sitting here waiting on Fed-Ex to show up, I decided to take the tail off of my Pro and do some inspections. As I already knew, the front drive gear that connects to the drive shaft is missing 5 teeth, and the related gear has 1 tooth chipped. The carrier bearing assymbely has a lot of thick oil in it and I will be cleaning that out shortly. The driveshaft in the center is covered in oil, so I know it had plenty of lube lol. Just the wrong kind.

I moved onto the tail, and I had felt a slight bind in the tail linkage, and I found out that it's in the bearings of the tail blade grips. So, I will be working on that as well.

Other than the pics, that is about all that has gone on with this helicopter since the maiden when the gears started stripping out. I think I was quite lucky to get this puppy back on the ground in one piece...

EXI 450 Pro Shaft Version TT 037.jpgEXI 450 Pro Shaft Version TT 038.jpgEXI 450 Pro Shaft Version TT 039.jpgEXI 450 Pro Shaft Version TT 040.jpg

EXI 450 Pro Shaft Version TT 037.jpg

EXI 450 Pro Shaft Version TT 038.jpg

EXI 450 Pro Shaft Version TT 039.jpg

EXI 450 Pro Shaft Version TT 040.jpg

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
It's really really bad!! Man!!! U got lucky getting it on the ground there.. There's something really wring.. Align this puppy!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I think when the paper went through the main gear that it damaged your tail gears. Then when you were flying her the damaged gear broke off and took out a few more teeth. They are quite a bit more touchy than a belt drive. Has far has the oil, is that not a bearing there in the tube like my align? Why the oil?

Tony

Staff member
What paper? I'm not sure I understand that statement lol.

And yes, there are two bearings in that cylinder that goes directly in the center of the tail boom. Why they put that much oil on them, I have no clue lol. I can assure you they will never fail lmao.

Tony

Staff member
Wait, were you talking about the sound when the lable came off the motor and I had to land it? That actually just hit the frame and didn't go through the gears. Although I think I did have a very minor tail blade strike on the grass. That may have been the cause of the gears going bad. If you look at the video, it sounded different after that.

I do have the parts on teh way to fix this heli. I have a new gear coming, as well as some other things. But, that will all be shown in the video hehe.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I just remember you saying something about a piece of paper going through the gears. A tail strike however miner it is will damage the gears though! I know. I have bought probably $250.00 in gears for my 600 since I bought it. One of the reasons I'm not in a hurry to fly her again till I get someone on a buddy box to help! Lol

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, if hobbyparts will get the belt tail in stock, I will be putting a belt on it no questions asked. Even though I can fly somewhat good, I'm just not liking the fact that a little wind gust that comes from behind will cause you to strip a gear. YOu lost very little with a belt, but I told everyone that I would try it and post my response to it. And my response is not looking good lol. We will see how the new gear goes if/when I get it. Friggin international shipping lmao.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I would think its the same had align you can get them anywhere. They even come 3 sets to a box. That is how I buy them. I always carry a few spairs in my flight box. I can change a set of gears in about 10 minutes. Lol

Tony

Staff member
Well, the work has started on the 450 Pro. I have replaced the gear that is missing teeth, as well as another part. What is this other part? You will have to wait for the video. Yes, it's already recorded, and I will upload it tonight when I get home from work for the final time for a while.

If you are not subscribed to me on youtube, you may want to do so. RcHelpDotCom is my username on there. I will have a LOT more videos in the coming weeks of this, and other aircraft. And it's going to be pretty exciting to say the least. Lets just hope not too exciting though lol. I hate crashes.

Top Bottom