450 EXI 450 Pro Shaft Version (TT, Torque Tube)

Tony

Staff member
What's going on everyone. Some of you know that I sold my HK250GT, and I sold my HK450GT. That left me with the mSR, mCP-X, HK500GT and HK600GT. Well, the mSR is getting boring, the mcpx is still great, the 500 has pitch and tracking issues, and the 600 has no ESC or gyro. More importantly, I miss my 450. It was the best helicopter that I have purchased and flown. It is the most stable helicopter that I had, and I just knew that I would be able to fly every time I put a battery in it. So what was I to do?

As you more than likely read in the other thread, I told you guys that I would be getting the EXI 450 Pro Shaft Version (or TT, Torque Tube) to replace the 450. It's more expensive than the GT, but also better. No "Milk Jug" canopy on this baby. The deciding factor as you read in the other thread was the canopy. I wanted something that looked good (the red does NOT), and I wanted fiberglass. Even though it's only a single thin layer of FG, it's still FG. I have the same type of canopy on my 500 now because the canopy that came on it was total crap, and exploded into a million pieces in a small crash. So, the decision was made, and the helicopter is on it's way here.

What about electronics? I will tell you, I was really happy with the Alpha 400 motor, and the 30a Volcano Series ESC. So, those are going back in. The MG90S servos are also going back in on the cyclic. The 450 Pro uses a 26g servo for the tail, but I'm going to try something a little different. The HK500GT has backing plates for the servos so that you could run 9g servos if you wanted. There is no way I would do this. So, I'm going to use those backing plates on the tail of the 450 to mount a 9g servo where a 26g servo is supposed to go. I'm going to first try the EXI D213F digital servo back there and see how it works. It it's not so good, then I will get an Align DS520 for the tail. The gyro that I will be using is the Assan GA-250. I have had this gyro on my 250, and on my 600, and they both were rock solid! So, I'm taking the one off the 600 and putting it on the 450. Yes, I will be putting another one on the 600. The battery will be my Zippy 2200mah 3s 20c battery that I used before, but I'm thinking about getting the Gens Ace 2200mah 3s 35c battery for when I put a bigger motor in this heli.

At this time, I have no clue what I'm getting in the box. So, when I open it up, you will bet that I will have the camera in hand so we all can see. I will also be doing a full build log of this helicopter so you can decide if it's right for you. And finally, I will do a maiden flight of the helicopter to see if it's as stable as they say, and as stable as my HK450GT.

So stay tuned. I will be editing this post with video as I go along. The helicopter should be here about 07/05/2011. Then, the build will commence.

Here they are, the videos. More will be added and I will let you guys know when.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T4OrQAtZgn8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9bD3_KZADWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RCD

Glencairn Drone
I cant wait ontil you built it! I hope it doent become 'Nightmare2.0'. lol

Tony

Staff member
I will when I get all of the parts in. Or at least I will see. It may crash and burn. But, I am going to reset all of the links to the factory specs then reset the pitch. Just start all over from square one.

looking forward to seeing the 450pro, thats sounds like a great idea for the Tail servo, I made up brackets for my 450GT and 450BB tail servo's as they twisted the mounting arms under torque so with the brackets were much more robust

Tony

Staff member
I never did have a problem with mine twisting. And I know I won't have the problem with this one lol

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, they are a lot more brittle than a belt drive system. Most common is stripping the gears though. I don't think I have heard of actually breaking the drive shaft though.

Tony

Staff member
The helicopter is here. It showed up at 1740 today, way later than they usually do. But, it's here. And the box has some damage on it....

RCD

Glencairn Drone
I bought tail boom mounts for the rudder servo instead of making an adapter for the stock one. I like the easy way out.lol

Tony

Staff member
I took the easy way out as well, and I regret it. You will see in upcoming videos lol.

Whirlybird

Early copters like my Kavan Alouette 2 and Lark had a tail driven by a steel rod and brass gears . . . never stripped them. With my scratched built Polecat, a brass tube was used with brass gears . . . I guess that was an original "torque tube" :)

Last edited:
Looks great Tony, maybe its time to also get some of those adjustable linkages for the Lower links, as they can be adjusted without taking the link off the balls
Look forward to seeing the Build vids soon!

Tony

Staff member
I would, but the links are really not that hard to pop off. And, once you set it, it's done lol. Well, until I crash it again lmao.

Top Bottom