Everyone read this!!!

It's all good. I think you meant to click the "you log in, you post in here" thread. This one is stickied right there with it to try to keep questions out of the lounge. No worries though.

That's right Tony I thought I was in the "you log in etc", it was early and before my coffee...lol

Heliman450

Hi all, I'm checking out the site to find my way round. Loads of things to see, however, lots go back years and I think clutter this amazing site. Do we really need to see photos of helicopters, which we can see anywhere. Must take up loads of server capacity. I hope to find photos of crash damage etc. to help out with fault diagnosis for example. There probably is some of this around but buried amongst other, mildly interesting stuff. Back to my surfing around the site!

Tony

Staff member
It does take up space on the server bit my server is way larger than I need in every way just for this reason. I do try to ask that members tag their photos so it's easier to search.

I do have some plans on Reworking The site So That It's Easier To Navigate. It's just going to take quite a while to get done, but I am working on it. Amongst other things lol.

Admiral

Hi Tony, just a thought, the name "RC-Help Lounge" may be contributing to the confusion, maybe change the name to the "Off Topic Lounge" or the "Social Lounge" something without RC-Help in it.

Tony

Staff member
That is a good point Keith. I will run some names by the staff and see what we can come up with.

That's a good idea cuz I thought this is the spot where we crack some beers and tilt are hat back and talk some helicopter Tech my bad LOL
Would be cool though

Tony

Staff member
Hey Ronald, this thread was created back when we were having a HORRIBLE time with everyone posting tech questions in here. I didn't have the help to move all of them and it was beginning to become a chore lol. So I made this sticky to hopefully help stop the tech questions out of here, and make this the off topic only section as it is supposed to be.

I totally understand and you're making the right decision this sticky will come in handy as you grow as a member and you could come in and chat off topic great idea. I can only imagine how big this thing is you must have a good team supporting you. I am a member of a few other forums I don't chat on them I just read information I love this one it feels more homegrown you're doing a great job you must put in a lot of time. And if you have a regular job you're awesome if you run for president let me know you got my vote

Tony

Staff member
I can assure you, I will never run for president lmao. No way. But yes, when I created this site, I did so because of the other sites and them bashing the ever loving crap out of the new guy/gal. Ask a question, and just get flamed horribly because it had been asked before. I was tired of it after only a couple months in the hobby. So I decided to start my own forum now knowing what I was getting myself into and it has grown ever since. I in no way know everything about this hobby and I'm corrected frequently lol. But that is what these forums are about. As for the team supporting me, we have a fantastic team. @callsign4223, @murankar, @Geena, @Smoggie, and I think @Jacob Davis will be joining back very soon. So yes, I have a fantastic team behind me. Then there is my server guy @Rc/Ken that has done a fantastic job of keeping this server going. It's not just me running this show, it takes every single member on here.

murankar

Staff member
We do our best to ensure everyone has what they are looking for. Yes we do not bash people for asking questions. If you don't see a place for your question then guess and we will place it.

Peter Vice

This section is NOT for help! If you post a question or thread in this section that belongs somewhere else in the forum, we will just delete it. We have spent over an hour moving over 50 threads out of this one section! We will not take the time to do this anymore and we will just delete the threads. Come on everyone, the lounge is for off topic chat ONLY, not to ask for help. If this section keeps getting abused, I will just delete the whole section and this forum will be for help only and no off topic chat. We can't sit on here for hours just moving threads every day. Help us out everyone!
Good morning
I am new to this site and frankly find it very difficult to work my way around it. I posted yesterday and a reply came back to post to the lounge at the beginning of my post I choose the lounge to put my question but it would not let me post there. Tony perhaps you should consider if the people you are trying to reach keep messing up they are either stupid or confused, I am one of the confused ones. I see this in some of the videos you make as you are explaining a set up you mention a whole lot of things that you assume the reader understands. I appreciate this forum but beginning to feel pressurized as I might just post in the wrong section. I also understand you have a wide audience from beginners like me and 3D competition flyers, suggestion: perhaps you can have headings Beginners....Novice...Intermediate.....Top gun . I am sure you are asked repeatedly the same old questions I tried a search before I posted and came up no results

Ken Jackson

Takes a little getting used to. I think everyone post something in the wrong place, part of the learning curve. Don’t take it personally, your not the first and won’t be the last.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
Hey Peter, This thread is from way back in 2012 when we were having a HORRIBLE time with people posting in the lounge and not in the other parts of the site. It was a very bad problem back then and this thread has hung around since then.

I completely understand people not knowing how to work their way around a forum structure. I find it a little hard even still on some things (mostly advanced searches and such). We are here to not only help out with Rc related questions, but also how to navigate and use the site as well.

I have been asked to do something like what you are asking many times, and some of them I have worked to put into place. Lets take the Helicopter section for example linked below.

Helicopters

This section used to be FULL of sub directories such as motors, ESC's, Projects and so on. So you would have to click on the Helicopter section, then click on the next section and then search for what you are looking for. After a long time of thinking about how to do it, how to clean up the forum so that it is a little easier, I finally found a way to combine everything into one forum directory, but have the options to split them up into different categories.

If you go into the Helicopter section by clicking on the link above, Once you are in there, at the very top of the forum you will see a bunch of different sizes and topics at the top from micro, 250, 450 to Scale and Projects, general and some gyros. I did this to help try and narrow down what is is people are looking for.

If you are working on a 450, and you need to find something about a 450, there is really no reason to have to search through the 600 size helicopters to find it. So you just click on "450" and the only threads that show are the threads that have 450 as a prefix.

I guess moral of the story is, if you have questions, not just with RC, but with the site as well, all you have to do is post up. This thread sounds harsh and back when it was made, it needed to be. I was pretty much the only one that could do anything on here and it was killing me at just how many posts were being put into the lounge rather than into the correct section. Now days, we have URI, Geena, Matt and myself who all have permissions to move threads if they are put into the wrong place.

You said that you posted here in the lounge with an RC related question. I hadn't even noticed until you said something lol. I go in and just read and reply since posting in the lounge is not that big of a deal anymore. So even I overlook things.

We are all here to have fun with out hobby. And that is what we are doing.

Top Bottom