Spektrum Dx8 Lipo

Tony

Staff member
Roger that. Gens Ace is one of the best brands out there so there should not be any worry with it. And you should only have to charge it about once a month lmao.

Slobberdog

Yeah I don't think I will have an issue with it but we will see, and yes should last me ages.

Just was not liking the heat given off by the Nimh pack in the tx, not inspiring me with any confidence at all,

Derek

I'm still using the Nimh pack in my DX8 and the only issue with it that I have is that I have to charge it pretty regularly. I've been using my DX8 for flying (obviously), setting up my new plane, and on the Phoenix sim, so it does get regular use. I haven't had my battery pack put off very much heat at all. Yes, it gets slightly warmer when charging but never warm enough to give me any concerns. I am looking forward to the extended life of having the lipo.

Slobberdog

Yeah only warm when charging, but I just don't like that very much, I like having the thing charged in 30 mins safely and I know it's done properly then,

Derek

I surely can't see any fault in your way of thinking, Kev! It sounds like you are right on track.

BOKI

Slobberdog ; I have a DX8 & I charge my SpektrumB 2000mah battery pack in the transmitter with the trickle charger that came with it for a couple years now & it's always been OK !

Slobberdog

Well just had a response from Gens Ace and the Dx8 lipo does not have the circuit inside and they recommend charging on a balance charger not in the TX,

Also had a reply from the vendor saying it was on the cusp of being a return item and due to the fact it balanced when charged I was asked to cycle it and see if it remained in balance if it does not then send it back.

Slobberdog

Well I was looking back at this thread as I was wondering when I bought my DX8 and lipo, when I started this thread it was the 21-11 so just coming up to 6 weeks ago, that was when it had the first charge, and it's the same charge that is still going,

I have used my tx a lot in the last fortnight with the Mcpx and I can't believe that the battery is lasting so long,

Dirk

I've had a Turnigy pack in my DX8 for about 6 months now. Working perfectly, but I do keep a beady on it while it is charging with the standard DX8 charger. It only needs recharging about once a month. :hdbng:

Slobberdog

Yeah I would keep an eye on it as well, I got a charge lead to put it on my icharger, I have not charged mine apart from the initial charge, now it's on 11.5v or 3.75v per cell, and last charged at 25-8-13 so I am pleased with that,

Derek

I bought the Turnigy 4000mah 7.4v Transmitter Pack for my DX8. Maybe it was my ignorance or inexperience but I thought there were going to be separate battery leads so that I could charge this battery with my charger. There are only two wires, the red and black, that plug into the DX8. Can I still use the same charge cable that came with the DX8 to charge this battery or should I be looking for another way?

Dirk

Hi Derek,

I've got the same battery in my DX8. Just use your standard DX8 charger. Just remember to go into the Spektrum menu and specify that you are using a lipo.

When the battery is fully charged, the charger switches off automatically.

I've been flying my helis and planks almost every weekend and have not had to charge my DX8 for almost two months now. Cool!

Derek

Thanks Dirk!

So, I should just unplug and remove the Nimh battery, install the new lipo, then go into the settings right away and make the change? That about right???

Dirk

You got it 100 percent right! I still do keep an eye on it whilst it is charging though. I still don't trust lipos 100 % yet.

Derek

It would be nice if there was a battery that could be purchased that had the appropriate wires that would allow us to simply remove the battery from the DX8 and charge it like I normally do....in the garage with a lipo safe bag.

Slobberdog

the gens ace one I have for my dx8 does, that's how I charge mine, on the icharger like any other old lipo

Derek

I'm having troubles finding a Gens Ace lipo for my DX8. I looked at the Hobby Partz website and didn't see anything. I may have missed it. Would you mind finding me a link?

Top Bottom