Spektrum Dx8 Lipo

Slobberdog

Just received a lipo for my Dx8 Gens ace 4000mah thing that's concerning me is does this have the protection circuitry to stop charging when full,

Has anyone used one of these or am I the first.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Post a link. As far as I know gens ace does not have a protection circuit (may be they came out with a new special pack for transmitters with that feature)

Hyperion LiFe :: what I use for my jr does.

And I actually puffed and destroyed a life pack leaving it on charge hoping there was a protection circuit in there .. But there wasn't ... Luckily it was life... As the LiPo would have caught fire.

Tony

Staff member
The DX8 has built in lipo detection as well as charging circuitry to charge the battery. However, with that being said, I would keep an eye on it and when it's done charging, I would pull it off. There was a guy on here that purchased a brand new DX8 and plugged it in over night and the NiMh cells vented pretty much destroying the case. Luckily it didn't destroy his house...

Slobberdog

that's exactly why I wanted the lipo, as the stop charging only works on the lipo.

- - - Updated - - -

never charged the batteries in the dx6 either use to remove and charge them

Tony

Staff member
On NiMh, it's charged with a trickle charge. The voltage is set so that it can't be over charged. I assume this other guy had a bad battery pack, it happens. But, I would toss the charger into the DX8 and see how it does. If you are like me, you will take the cover off and pull the battery out of it (still plugged in) and just keep an eye on it for a while. That is what I would do anyway.

Slobberdog

got a charge cable on its way, will be here tomorrow, can charge it like a normal battery then on my 3010, safer and quicker.

wolfman76

like tony said you can change the battery type in the tx to lipo and it is suppose to shut off automatically when done charging this is the pack that i have in mine
Turnigy 4000mAh Spektrum DX8 Intelligent Transmitter Pack.
i charged mine with the battery door on the tx but i had to remove the padding for it to fit the size it is fits just right without too much padding i have a couple of photos showing how the padding and the lipo fit i actually used 2 strips of double sided gyro padding on the back plating of the case and one of the supplied black foam padding at the bottom of the pack and it doesn't move around... they are on my phone so as soon as i can i will post them up...
the pcb circuit that is in the lipo you got i believe will shut power off to the tx when it falls to 2.8v to prevent cell damage to the lipo not to keep from over charging it the link to the one i posted does have the overcharge protection i think you are looking for correction i just reread both links for both lipos they both have the same feature the pcb will protect the lipo from falling below 2.8v and from being charged above 4.2v so the gensace lipo is what you want the only difference is the price the gensace is 29.99 US and the turnigy is 17.95 US hope this helps

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Thanks Kyle, I got the Gens Ace pack before I put up the post, TBH I don't want to be in a position where I have to deal with HK anytime soon, I have a few good suppliers here in the UK that I can get product from overnight, if i order with HK it takes a week to come from the UK warehouse, I just can't put up with that anymore,

The Gens Ace is exactly the same size as the HH pack so I can use the supplied packer piece that came with the radio for use with their lipo,

I have the battery charge lead coming to be able to charge this on my balance charger so its not to much trouble. Just curious as some say the cut off circuit is in the TX some say the lipo.

wolfman76

but the lipo does have a 4.2v cutoff in the lipo pcb circuit too though so i guess it kinda double insurance

Tony

Staff member
Take that with a grain of salt if you are dealing with a turnigy battery. I would not trust it myself. But, as stated, he is going to use a regular charger so no worries.

wolfman76

it is always a crap shoot probably with any battery i guess i just wish blue lipo wasn't always out of stock they make a pretty decent lipo for the $$$$

Derek

When I get a Lipo for my DX8, I'll be using my regular charger as well. I charge my batteries in a Lipo safe bag each time. So, if something bad were to happen, I'd much rather have the loss of my bag instead of the loss of my tx, and God knows what else.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Many batteries specially manufactured now have protection circuit ..
My hyperion does .. I see my adapter stop giving charge automatically when it is charged. That adapter is not automated .. Battery is

I am not sure about this gens ace .. But just letting you..

Slobberdog

Well I got my lead and put the battery on charge and sat in amazement at the battery being that far out of balance after the initial surge it showed 0.17v difference.

Balanced now will see how it goes from there, think I will send hobby store an email to see what they say.

Top Bottom