Spektrum DX6i Travel Adjustments

luciandrew

Ok guys, here is my question. regardless of which plane you purchase,the manual will state the control throw distances recommended for high and low rates,usually in mm's or increments of an inch(7/16,1/2 etc.). So in the travel adj settings,a specific %(let's say, 80% for elev) may correspond to 1/2 inch up and down for high rate. Once I adjust all the throw %'s for each control surface and let's say these are for high rates,then I can go to dual rate/expo adjustments to set dual rates. I would use position 1 on the aileron,elevator and rudder set to 100% for my high rate,this would keep my previous settings intact from the travel adj correct? then position 0 on these switches would be set at some lower % to achieve low rates stated in the manual.( Keep adjusting % and measuring throws). Am I correct on this? Also,since expo settings may not be mentioned in the manual,what would be a good starting point (+50%) ?
Thanks, Jeff from Ohio.

Lee

You are correct on all points Jeff. As for expo 50% is a lot. Depending on the plane, I would have about 20/30% except for my funjet where i had 40% as its capable of 130mph and one wrong twitch of the finger and it would be taking a dirt nap. :D

luciandrew

Thanks Lee,I watched Tony's video on this and was not totally sure,but thought I was on the right track. I will try the lower expo rates ( 20 or 30 %) and give it a whirl. Thanks again,Jeff from Ohio.

Lee

Drop the expo say 5% at a time so you don't get a shock if it suddenly become twitchy. Just take off do a couple of circuits, land change and go back up and do the same again, until you find the sweet spot for your particular plane.

Derek

What Lee is saying is absolutely right. I have a DX6i and a Trex 500e. When I first had the heli setup for me, it was done by the guy at the local hobby shop. He called me and said it was all set up and ready to go. This was before I knew anything about anything. I took my 500 out for the first few flights and it's an amazing miracle that I didn't crash it. Everything was super insanely sensitive. I have since learned, mostly by trial and error, how to adjust the settings to suit me...well, until my nephew changed the settings while on my sim, but that's another story...ugh. Any changes that you make to your Dual Rates, Expo, or Gyro....make the changes bit by bit. Good luck buddy!!!

Tony

Staff member
As stated, you are spot on with how to adjust the high and low rates.

I run +65% expo on my Edge at full throws but that is only because I take off and land in high rates and I like a soft feel on teh stick for landings. 65% will make it really soft around the beginning throws but it will be stupid sensitive at the end of the throws. But with a 3D plane, it works out.

I always suggest, on here and in the videos, start at +35% Expo and do exactly what Lee said, play with it and make it your own. I like 35/50/65 on my edge, but I'm running 15/25/35 on my helicopters. You just have to play with it and find what feels right to you. But from what I have found out myself, read and watched, 35% is a great starting point. Just remember, NEVER go into the negative on the expo unless you want a stupid twitchy control.

Top Bottom