Spektrum DX6i in need of repair

Derek

That sucks that you are having the same issues that I was having. After talking with several people, here at RCH, we all came to the conclusion that I was basically abusing the scroll wheel or using it incorrectly. I never did read about "how to use the scroll wheel." That scroll wheel has two functions....obviously. To select an option from the menu, you should press at the top of the scroll wheel. That's where the "select" button is. To scroll from one option to another, you should scroll with the bottom of the scroll wheel. That's where the "scroll" switch is. It's an intriguing concept but it's also easy to "foul" it up.....obviously, because I did it, lol.

The scroll wheel on my DX6i is working much better now, although it is not back to 100%. It still gives me troubles every now and then. All that I did to mine was unscrew the 6 screws on the back and remove the back half of Tx. If you do this, be very careful because there are small wires that are connected to both halves. I located where the scroll wheel was and unscrewed the two small screws that hold the scroll wheel in place. I carefully lifted the scroll wheel out and unplugged the white wiring plug that connects the scroll wheel to the TX. Once I had the scroll wheel completely free of the Tx, I just simply blew on it several times. I removed the plastic scroll wheel from the scroll switch by lifting "very carefully" from the "selector switch" side (not the scroll switch side) and then slid the scroll wheel out from the "scroll switch." Set the scroll wheel aside then blow on the "scroll switch." Tony also recommended using an electrical cleaner and spraying the switch with that. Electrical cleaner can be gotten at Radio Shack or something of the like. I actually never did make it out to buy the electrical cleaner. This post has been a reminder to do so, so I will probably send the wife after some this evening. Anyway...after I blew on the switches and the small white plug a few times, I put it all back together and turned on the Tx. Several people here, including Lee and Tony, reminded me that the "scroll function" is at the bottom of the scroll wheel and the "select function" is at the top of the scroll wheel. I have just had to be very aware of what I'm doing. "Select" on top and "Scroll" on bottom. Something else that I would like add to this is, when you are scrolling at the bottom of the scroll wheel, for example when you are making changes on your Pitch Curve or Throttle Curve and you are going from 50 to 100, don't be in a hurry and scroll really super fast. I've heard that this can possibly cause damage to the "scroll switch" and I admit that I was doing that, too.

I hope this helps a bit. Will it solve the issues that you are having now with your DX6i? I don't know, but this is what I did and since my DX6i is working much better than it was...I'm not going to send it in to Horizon Hobby for repairs. However, if you do decide to do that....I did speak with Horizon Hobby and what they told me is that I have to pay to ship my Tx to them, then pay $30 per hour with a minimum of 1/2 hour, plus parts, then I'd be billed for them to ship my Tx back to me.

Good luck buddy!!!

RandyDSok

Wonder if you ever found a fix to your problem. I'm now having the same problem with mine and only had it since December 2012. Only paid $90 for it bought in out of China. If its going to cost over $75 or more I may as well buy another here in the USA as I see there going to $159 now.

Okay Like to know how you made out with your's ?

At that price... I'd be concerned about it being a fake Spectrum radio as has been reported before and many Chinese companies are notorious for doing just that . I believe there is ( or was ) a way to look up a serial number to check for this type of issue but I can't remember where I saw it now unless it was on the Horizon Hobby website. When a price is too good to be true, it usually is.

Tony

Staff member
At that price... I'd be concerned about it being a fake Spectrum radio as has been reported before and many Chinese companies are notorious for doing just that . I believe there is ( or was ) a way to look up a serial number to check for this type of issue but I can't remember where I saw it now unless it was on the Horizon Hobby website. When a price is too good to be true, it usually is.

:agree:

Tony

Staff member
what was the voltage of the batteries? This radio requires either Alkaline batteries at 1.5 volts per cell, or NiCd/NiMh at 1.2 volts per cell. If the voltage is too low, the Tx could do some weird things. Head to the drug store or walmart and grab some Energizer's and stick in it to see if it fixes your issue.

RandyDSok

REAL Panasonic batteries are actually quite good... and like the radio, batteries are often faked as well and it is a well known fact.

Derek

So...i'm back again, trying to work on my DX6i. I did get the electronics cleaner that Tony suggested and the tx is still not working properly. I have emailed HH in the past and they did reply (4 days later) saying that I could ship my tx to them, pay for service, then pay the shipping back to me. Ugh!

I just tried calling them and I was on hold for nearly 15 minutes and still didn't get to talk with anyone. Now I have to head to work. I'll try calling them again tomorrow. Wish me luck!!!

Sparse

Its ashame about your controller. But not to make you madder. weather you call or email they are going to tell you to send it in for repair, However if you can get a hold of your sales receipt and send that in with it depending on how long you have had it it may be covered under warranty. if it is fake there not gonna even touch it. it will be sent back to you. the warranty for radios is either one or two years i think.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.horizonhobby.com/content/_support_render-safe-buying-guide

this info will help you out on your quest

- - - Updated - - -

copy and paste the link it tells you want you need to do as far as fakes go.

Derek

Here we go again. I can assure that my DX6i is not a fake, so let's just avoid that road. I spoke with a guy at my local hobby shop that had the same problem. He called Horizon Hobby and they sent him a replacement scroll switch after he paid a couple of dollars.

I've had this tx for nearly two years, so I don't think its still under warranty.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I have the same problem. i got mine used and for sure i cant send it back. What i have done was bypass the schroll select button and solder it to the throttle cut button. It is a pain to have to schroll and then hit another button to select but hey it works and i dont need a new radio just to fly my park fliers.

Derek

Ok....many many months later, I finally remembered to stop and get some Electronics Cleaner that Tony has suggested before. It's a bit more pricey than I thought it would be, but I did buy a can. Now...should I remove the entire scroll/switch board from the tx and apply the Cleaner or can I leave the board in the tx? I'm curious to see if this will solve my issues.

EyeStation

The switch would do much better if you were able to spin it during the spraying. Will help allow any crud to be pushed aside and washed away. This will leave a slight residue, so don't go spraying all willy-nilly in there or your gonna get a slick thumb on your right hand.

Derek

Ok...where do I begin....This thread, and my issues with my Spektrum DX6i, started January 4, 2013. That's over 10 months ago.

To give a brief summary, the push button worked fine, but the scroll wheel was misbehaving. I really don't even know how to describe it. Check out my video that I posted at the beginning of this thread to actually see the issues. I brought this issue to RCH in hopes of some sort of resolve. Among the many responses, Tony suggested that I buy a simple can of Electronics Cleaner and spray the scroll switch with the cleaner. I was hesitant (mistake number 1, lol). I contacted Horizon Hobby, via email, to see what it would cost for them to fix the problem. They told me that I would have to pay to ship my DX6i to them, pay for parts, pay for labor (a minimum of 1/2 hour, $30.00 per hour), then pay to have my repaired DX6i shipped back to me. I can imagine that would get rather costly. So...I set the DX6i aside for a while. I then bought a Spektrum DX8 and I've loved it ever since, completely forgetting about my DX6i.

Now, lets fast forward in time to last week. I actually got thinking about my DX6i, once again. Hmmm, ok, I'll go out and get a can of that Electronics Cleaner and try it out. It's a bit more pricey than I had imagined, but I figured I'd try it. So I bought it....nearly $15 for this can. Well, then I forgot about it for several days. About 25 minutes ago, I remembered that I bought that cleaner stuff. Let's go ahead and open the DX6i up, pull the switch, spray it a bit....ok maybe a bit more. Yep...that smell surely smells like a cleaner, lol. I put the scroll wheel back into the switch and re-installed the switch and plugged it back in. Put the screws back into the back. Flipped it over. Turned it on and started to mess with the scroll wheel.

Did it work??? Did that $15 can of cleaner solve my issues???

I can't believe it!!! Yes! It's working again as if it were new. Unbelieveable!!! I began to go through all the models that I had programmed into the DX6i (only 6 models) and I was able to scroll to each one. Select each one. Modify each one....and I was able to do all of that with ease. It brought a smile to my face.

Thank you, Tony, for the suggestion of the cleaner. I will surely make sure that I keep a can of that around from now on.

Here is the stuff that I bought:

Precision Electronics Cleaner - RadioShack.com

Now, I don't know how far Radio Shack goes. Is Radio Shack around the world? I dunno. But...I wanted to share this with you all, just in case something like this happens to you. Try this cleaner out. It may just work and save you a bunch of money. I know that I saved a bunch.

I'm quite happy right now. Do I regret buying my DX8? Not at all! However, since my DX6i is working again....it's buddy box time. Then, when either my wife or cousin get familiar with flying, we can fly two planes at once...and I'll have someone to fly with. Outstanding!!!

Ok, I've gone on long enough, lol. Thanks a lot, Tony!!!

Graham Lawrie

Glad you got there in the end Derek:)

The bit I don't understand is how we get a better service in the Uk than across the pond?

Like I said before I called them and they sent the part free of charge, and I fitted it and it worked:)

Top Bottom