Spektrum DX6i in need of repair

Derek

Ok...so many of you know that the DX6i has a scroll button that is used to select various functions. Well, mine is acting up and it's rather frustrating. When I try to select something, the cursor frequently moves to another selection. I think I remember talking with Tony about this and he said that I'd probably have to send it in to Horizon Hobby for repair.

I emailed Horizon Hobby (instead of calling them because I stutter when I talk and I HATE talking on the phone) last week. I finally got a reply from them today saying that I surely could send them my DX6i for evaluation. Of course the evaluation would be free of charge but any and all repairs are charged at a minimum of 1/2 hour or $30 per hour plus parts.

My curious question is this...how long could it possibly take for them to replace the button under the scroll wheel on my DX6i?

oh...something else...prior to sending my Tx to Horizon Hobby, I should probably write down all my settings, right? I imagine they will end up pulling the batteries, at some point, to do the repairs and when the batteries get pulled, the Tx will lose all settings...right???

Tony

Staff member
No, the tx will hold the settings when the batteries are pulled. It's just like flash memory on an SD card.

And you may try getting some electronics cleaner and cleaning the board yourself. Just pull the 6 screws off of the back, pull the case apart (be careful of the wires) and remove the board. Then remove the wheel and spray the ever loving crap out of it. It's just a simple circuit so shouldn't be that hard to do.

Horizon will not only charge you for the labor, but also shipping and the part because they will just replace it. If I remember correctly, replacing the wheel will end up costing you about $75. Trust me, just do it my way first lmao.

Derek

electronics cleaner? You mean that compressed air, in a can??? I can try that.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, what Sam said. It's just like brake cleaner, but it's completely safe for electronics.

Derek

nah...the roller is fine...I think it's the button. I'll take a video and show you what it's doing. Very frustrating.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Looks like you have a problem there! Lol I think though your backwards on witch side the scroll verses click is. I have a dx6i , a dx7, and a dx8 and all three the top of the button Is click and the bottom is scroll. I know for a fact that if you continually click and scroll on the wrong side it will mess up the wheel.

Graham Lawrie

Ok...so many of you know that the DX6i has a scroll button that is used to select various functions. Well, mine is acting up and it's rather frustrating. When I try to select something, the cursor frequently moves to another selection. I think I remember talking with Tony about this and he said that I'd probably have to send it in to Horizon Hobby for repair.

I emailed Horizon Hobby (instead of calling them because I stutter when I talk and I HATE talking on the phone) last week. I finally got a reply from them today saying that I surely could send them my DX6i for evaluation. Of course the evaluation would be free of charge but any and all repairs are charged at a minimum of 1/2 hour or $30 per hour plus parts.

My curious question is this...how long could it possibly take for them to replace the button under the scroll wheel on my DX6i?

oh...something else...prior to sending my Tx to Horizon Hobby, I should probably write down all my settings, right? I imagine they will end up pulling the batteries, at some point, to do the repairs and when the batteries get pulled, the Tx will lose all settings...right???

Tony has a good video of stripping the DX6i, looks easy enough. I have a DX6i and i am sure it tells you in the manual NOT to press the bottom of the wheel as it will knacker the button.

Lee

Sam is correct. The button is at the top. If you have been pushing the bottom of the wheel all the time, thats whats probably killed it.

Derek

Yeah...that's probably what happened. I think it's just a poor design. I can't wait to get the DX8....all buttons.

Derek

ahhhh, I just looked at the DX8 on the Spektrum website. I see that it does, indeed, have the scroll wheel. I guess I had better just learn to use the darn thing appropriately, lol. UGH!

Derek

Ok....I have an update about my DX6i.

I did watch a few videos that others have done, showing how to take the cover off and how to get to that particular board that has the scroll wheel.

I took the back cover off of my DX6i, unscrewed those two lil screws, and inspected the scroll wheel. The scroll wheel seems to be in working order. The "selector button, at the top of that board seems to work just fine. I think that the problem lies within that switch type thing that the scroll wheel sits in. However...after blowing some compressed air, gently, at the entire board and both switches, then putting it all back together, my DX6i is working better. It's not as "glitchy" as before, but it is definitely better. I'm surely happy about that.

Also...a good friend of mine, from YouTube, says that he has a second DX6i that he has kept around for spare parts. He says that he'll send me, at no charge, the entire board and plug from his spare. He did mention that his spare DX6i does not work at all and that's why it's a spare Tx for parts, but "if" the board that he sends me works...then I am back in great shape.

Granted, he told me "no charge," but I'm sure I'll send him a $20 gift card to a nice restaurant or something.

Anyway...that's where I'm at now with my Tx. I'm happier.

wolfman76

hey derek i think you might be ok doing the electronics cleaner my dx6 was doint that too recently but the more i used it it has stopped mine sat for so long it had gotten covered in dust once i started using it again it stopped so i would try the cleaner first

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Derek spray some cleaner at that part. It just might take care of the rest of it. If blowing air thru it helped some, then cleaner should take care of the rest! Lol

Top Bottom