Projects Derek's RCH Edge 540

Tony

Staff member
Yes, 8x4 or 9x4.5. 9 may be a bit too much for the motor, it will just depend on the heat of the motor.

EyeStation

I do have a 8x4 at home. It IS a much better match for the 1700 and 3 cell battery. even heat between all three components. Great call Tony!
Here it is at about 70% stick with 80% Travel limit.
[video=youtube_share;lwxu8mxvigs]http://youtu.be/lwxu8mxvigs[/video]

Tony

Staff member
It goes without saying, do NOT try that at home lmao.

Looks like it has plenty of power. Now, just take it outside and give it a good flight. you must have over nighted that sucker to you lol.

Derek

I watched your video, the first time, on my phone while I was at work last night....pretty cool! Now I'm home and I just watched it again. Like Tony said, it looks to have plenty of power. Is that the Exceed RC Rocket 2215-1700KV? Also, can you add some washers, or something, behind the motor mount to give it some right thrust? It looks like it wants to turn to the left while hovering? One more thing....I see that you have the rudder and elevator servo's mounted near the rear. Did you have any CG issues?

Tony

Staff member
You guys have me wanting to get my plane done with the 1300 motor. I tossed my plans in teh trash and have no where to tape them together. Someone cut the plans out and mail them to me lmao.

I'm sure this plane is loads of fun, and should be perfect for my little flying area.

Derek

Ok, I took the RCH 540 out for another flight today and had a blast. I had some other planes with me, too, but we'll get to that later. As promised, I did take the video camera with me today and got video of the 540 in the air, performing. My wife says that she lost the plane a few times and I haven't seen the video yet, myself, so I just hope that she got some good footage. I'll upload the video soon. What a fun little plane!!!

Tony

Staff member
I'm glad that you are enjoying it. Can't wait to see the video, but will have to wait until I get home to watch it. I think I have about 400mb left on my dataplan lmao. Thankfully, it renews tonight at midnight, or so I hope lol.

Derek

Well, I hope you get a chance to watch the video. I just finished adding some captions and it's saving right now. I'll get it uploaded to Youtube as soon as it's done and then I'll get the video linked to the site, shortly there after. It was a lot of fun.

Again today, my cousin was out with my wife and I. He has never flown an rc plane before but he's very interested in learning. I think he's "eye-balling" the RCH 540 as well as the RCH Trainer....but that discussion is for another thread, lol.

Tony

Staff member
Trust me, I will be watching the video. I'm just as interested in seeing how this thing flies as anyone. It's sounding like I need to do some more small tweaks to the plans and put it back up for others to enjoy though.

As for your cousin, put his butt on the DX6i and hook him up with a factory stock rch trainer. Make sure to put the dihedral in it so that it will self right it's self. The 540, not such a beginners plane, but being made out of foam, is easily rebuilt out of two sheets of foam.

Derek

What kind of "tweaks" are you thinking about?

In regard to my cousin....I'll gladly let him use my DX6i if he'll get the other parts and pieces. Building an RCH Trainer for him would be simple enough. I'm going to have to build another one for me. Mine crashed pretty hard today, but that's for another thread, lol.

This 540 is a blast!!! Very maneuverable in high rates with high expo. I can't wait til I can order the new motor.

here is the video from today.....with high rates

RCH 540 Test High Rates - YouTube

Here are the Dual Rates and Expo settings that I'm using currently:

The servo travel is set for 150% on aileron, elevator, and rudder

Low Rates:

Aileron: 25% D/R 0% Expo
Elevator: 25% D/R 0% Expo
Rudder: 25% D/R 0% Expo

High Rates:

Aileron: 75% D/R 60% Expo
Elevator: 85% D/R 60% Expo
Rudder: 55% D/R 20% Expo

Tony

Staff member
I couldn't resist. Had to burn up some data lol.

Here are some suggestions. I think that motor is plenty powerful! That plane was smokin' through the skies! Slide your battery back about 1/2" and try it again, but try to go slower. The tail will want to drop easier and allow harriers and hovers easier. But during your aileron rolls, the nose dropped a LOT. This tells me it's still a bit too nose heavy for a 3D plane.

But the plane looked great. Just needs to be flown slower and lower hehe.

Derek

I don't like this motor because it won't climb. it just won't do it. I do have several flights where I am flying it slower. I was just showing some other things in this video. Next video, I'll try to remember to record some slower flights and harrier attempts. I won't be entirely happy with this plane until it will climb vertically. I can move the battery back a bit. I have a 5inch strip of velcro on the side for the battery. I wanted a long piece to allow battery positioning.

More flights to come!!

EyeStation

The 8x4 prop was a nice pairing with the 1700 kV motor. I tip stalled it without even trying to throttle my way out. My left hand is becoming Plane dumb as I am also learning to fly my 450 sized heli's. Thank goodness I still have lots of foamboard left.

Following video includes one Free Walk of Shame,
Removed due to language

If ya want to see the WWII "Battle of Aachen 1944", check out this link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tcNq6uyDOQ&feature=share&list=PL721D7314713A8F19"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tcNq6uyDOQ&feature=share&list=PL721D7314713A8F19

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Hated to do it bro, but had to remove that video due to an F-bomb being dropped in there. Sucks about the crash though. YOu can just make up a new front nose piece and glue that on. Gotta love foam board.

EyeStation

After reviewing it I am surprised there was only one on there. LOL, I have to get used to having that keychain cam on ME instead of on the planes wing. Sorry 'bout that.
I spent the weekend thrashing the production department. Not worth bleeping it out and re-uploading just to watch a crash though.

Top Bottom