Projects Derek's RCH Edge 540

Derek

I was pretty sure that the first motor wouldn't work out well, but I had to try it. I have nothing else for it to go on.

However, the second motor that I listed, above, sounds like it will be much better. Will it be the perfect motor? I dunno. But, I was comparing my 540 to a profile GeeBee that Hobby King is selling. My 540 is a bit shorter, a bit narrower, and about half the weight of the GeeBee and it looks like the motor is the same size as the one that I have here, from Grayson Hobby. The only way to find out is to try it.

Youtube is still not permitting any uploads right now. Bummer!

Derek

Finally youtube is done with their difficulties and I finally got the Maiden Flight video uploaded. I'm really sorry about the wind noise. It wasn't real windy, but it was gusty and my wife was holding the camera so that the wind went right across the camera's microphone. We'll work on that on future videos.

Ok..i'm done rambling...here is the Maiden flight of my RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RCH Maiden Flight - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
Just an FYI bro, when you are flying a 3D plane, and you want to do 3D, you want it a bit tail heavy. It's easier to prop hang, harrier, rolling harrier and so on with it tail heavy. The plane looked great in teh air. I think the other motor will wake it up quite a bit. Can't wait to see the next video.

Derek

according to the specs on the second motor, it can turn a 10" prop successfully. I don't have a 10" slo fly prop. I have a 9x5SF and some 8x3.8SF. I guess I need to get back to the LHS for more props. Thanks for watching the video, Tony! I'm certainly no pro. I'm learning with each different build. I think it would be pretty cool if we could get the details ironed out and post the plans for the members.

So....I guess I'm done for the night. Time for bed! Second flight of the RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane tomorrow!!!

Tony

Staff member
Put a 10x6 prop on it with that other motor. Rule of thumb is for 3D flight, you want the pitch to be half of the length. So 10x5, 11x5.5, 12x6 and so on. You need some more speed for more basic flight (I'm guessing) so a 10x6 will be perfect for you.

Derek

I have 10x5 and 12x6 props, but none of them are slo fly. Would that be ok or should I wait for a trip to the LHS???

Derek

Looked Great Derek! Apparently you modified your original wing?

Yeah, I had originally made the wing with the Kfm2 airfoil, but Tony reminded me why this plane needs the Kfm4 airfoil. So...I cut out another piece of foam board, taped it up and added it to the wing.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got the next motor option mounted to the RCH Edge 540. I'll get the battery charged up and we'll see if this other motor will perform better. Hopefully I don't tear up the plane.

Tony

Staff member
Derek, I don't know why you are hooked on SF props, but STOP lol. SF props are made to be used with a gear box, not direct drive. Stick that 10x6 on there, hopefully an APC prop, and it will wake this thing up. When I build this plane, I'm going to use the same motor that I Have on the RCH Trainer (which sustained damage in the move :()

Derek

I'm not necessarily "hooked" on slo fly props. It was just my understanding that smaller, lower KV, motors should use slo fly props to be more efficient. If this is not necessarily true, let me know. I'm just going off of what I have been told.

Tony

Staff member
About the only thing that I have heard of slow fly props is they put a lot of heat in a motor when directly driven.

Derek

Ok Tony! I need some help. What else is new, lol.

Anyway...I took my RCH Edge 540 Profile plane out again today with the other motor and a 10x5 (not slo fly) prop. It did fly....and it flew better than the first test with the first motor. It was speedier and very predictable. It stalls very well and does not drop a wing tip. I was very happy with that. However...NEED MORE POWER! (not shouting, lol..just emphasizing, lol)

Here are the specs again for the motor that I used this time:

GH2212-13 Technical Data

Input voltage: 11.1 volts
Max Continuous current: 12 amps/60 seconds
KV: 1000
Weight: 47g
Max Watts: 175W
Prop range: 10x5

175 watts just is no where near what this plane needs in order to perform. I did weigh the plane with the new motor, esc, and prop. It weighs 16oz. I'm starting to think that this plane needs to have something closer to 350-400 watts, or more.

I saw this motor, from Grayson Hobby:

2814-08 Motor Stats: Perfect for Aerobatic airplanes up 35 – 65oz flying weight

Li-Po Battery: 3 / 4 cells
Max Current: 35A / 60 sec
Shaft 4mm
Weight : 100g (3.52oz)
Watt Range: 230W - 350W
Kv: 1100
Recommended Model Weight: 1,000 - 1,900g (35oz - 67oz)
Recommended Prop: 11 x 8 on 3-cells(11.1v) and 10 x 7 on 4-cells (14.8v)

It's quite a bit heavier than what i have on the plane right now, but it looks like it might work really well. I think it was $50 for the motor and 40amp esc. I'd like to see if I can find something a bit less costly. What are your thoughts?

Tony

Staff member
That motor is heavy as hell, and I think it's a bit too much for the Edge. Check out the Exceed 2215-1300 motor that I'm running on my Trainer. This is also the motor that I am running in my Edge 540 mini as well as the Extra 260, both balsa planes. It works great.

Derek

Ya know....you have suggested that I look at that motor many times before and I always seem to forget about it. From Hobby Partz, right?

Ok....just looked at Hobby Partz. Naturally, they are out of stock...but it's a 60grams motor, 300 watts, and the max amps is 14.8, so the 25amp esc that I have will work. If I could get this motor "In Stock"....I think I'd be a happy camper....well...a happy 540 flyer, lol.

Derek

WOW 1700kv...that should be cool!!! I'll have to upgrade the ESC as well. I'll talk to the wife and she if she'd mind if I put the order in for these.

BOKI

mountaindewdude76; Derek you did a Great job on your Plane & Video ! Don't know where you get the time woking ! Hope it Fly's good for you & Thanks for your Video !

Derek

Thanks for watching, Dave! A lot of my time is occupied by time in the workshop (aka very messy single car garage, lol). I have flown this plane 2 times. Once with a very underpowered motor, but it did fly, and I was able to take it home with nothing broken. I flew it again today with a bigger motor (sorry, no video. camera issues). The 540 flew better than it did yesterday. It was very straight and predictable. The stall characteristics weren't unappealing at all. I did a couple loops and some sloppy rolls. It just needs more power. I've already discussed it with Tony and he has given me suggestions for a new motor. I'm gonna let the wife know and i should be able to order the new motor and hopefully have it by this weekend and we'll try the flight again. Hopefully the camera will work and hopefully the new motor will try to rip the packing tape off the plane, lol.

Tony

Staff member
If you put that 1700 kv motor on it, it will have some speed and power for sure. And, you don't have to wait on china for it. I have had good luck with the rocket motors which is the only reason I'm suggesting them. If, when you are flying, you get any fluttering, back the throttle down immediately. It can and will shake a plane apart.

Top Bottom