Projects Derek's RCH Edge 540

Derek

I downloaded the plans for the RCH Edge 540 many months ago. I just saw that the plans are no longer seen in the "Store". Maybe people weren't interested enough in the plans. Who knows!! Anyway..I printed my plans out last night and started the build today. The plane is nearly done and I'm hoping to have some fun with this plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpzsBDssln0

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Looks nice Derek, hopefully be sweet for you in the air,

Oh btw love the Align advertising you got royalties coming for that one, lol

EyeStation

Looks great Derek! Cool to see the different component layouts. Kinda interested where your COG will wind up. I did the KFM4 wing. I like the look of the mono coat too. Well played sir.

Derek

Thanks guys! Actually, the coloring is not monocoat....it's colored packing tape.

Tony

Staff member
That plane looks great Derek! With the kfm2 airfoil, it will fly, but there are 2 issues you are going to run into. The first is that the wing will not be as strong. So hard snaps could fold the wings easier. The second, and this is why I opted for the kfm4, is your inverted flight will not be as stable since the airfoil will want to make the heli go down when inverted.

As for removing the plans, I removed then because it seemed that no one was downloading them, adn because I didn't have time to test them myself, I pulled them until I had the time, or someone with the plans did the testing. I would also like to make some changes to the plans, but again, don't have the time.

If I can find my foamboard and my electronics (need to order the motor since it's going to run on 2s), I might build it in the coming weeks. This weekend is full up trying to get an office setup. After that though, I should have a little time to do some things.

Can't wait to see this in the air!

Derek

That plane looks great Derek! With the kfm2 airfoil, it will fly, but there are 2 issues you are going to run into. The first is that the wing will not be as strong. So hard snaps could fold the wings easier. The second, and this is why I opted for the kfm4, is your inverted flight will not be as stable since the airfoil will want to make the heli go down when inverted.

As for removing the plans, I removed then because it seemed that no one was downloading them, adn because I didn't have time to test them myself, I pulled them until I had the time, or someone with the plans did the testing. I would also like to make some changes to the plans, but again, don't have the time.

If I can find my foamboard and my electronics (need to order the motor since it's going to run on 2s), I might build it in the coming weeks. This weekend is full up trying to get an office setup. After that though, I should have a little time to do some things.

Can't wait to see this in the air!

I did reinforce the wing with some bamboo skewers. Maybe it was a good idea, maybe not. I dunno! However, I didn't even think about the inverted flight, so it sounds like I need to add the other step to the underside of the wing.

Currently, I don't have any 2S lipos around, so i'm just using what I have. I have a 3S 1000mah lipo. The flight times may not be that long but hopefully the flights will be long enough to either have some fun or do some damage, lol.

Maybe we can get this thing tested and modified enough that others would be interested in it.....or not....who knows :)

Tony

Staff member
There is only one way to find out. I have been wanting to complete this design for a while now, I just can't find the time or space to do it.

Derek

Well, I'll see what I can get mine to do. I had a funny "after-thought". I probably shouldn't have spent all that time putting the colored packing tape on it. The first few "flight attempts" may result in some damage, therefore, completely wasting the tape. I should have just used clear packing tape.

On the other hand....it may turn out to be a "3D Master Marvel", lol

Tony

Staff member
The few times that I have seen this plane fly, it was a very stable platform. I think you will do just fine. Just make sure to get it on VIDEO!!!! (as finger hovers over ban button...) :biggrin1:

Derek

oh yes....the "ban button" threat again, lol. I've heard this one before. Can your finger hover over the ban button for a few days? I'm working all weekend, so the flight attempt won't be until next week sometime.

I still need to either make some light weight control horn or buy some small control horns. I have some thin music wire for the push rods...just need control horns. Then set the control surfaces, program the esc, locate the cg, charge the battery (3S 1000mah).....the it's SHOW TIME!!! Well, maybe we'll just call it "show time". I dunno it the flight will be "grand" enough for all caps, lol.

Tony

Staff member
You can use popcicle sticks as control horns. Cut them about 3/4" long, and drill a small hole in them. Then, cover them in CA so they don't split, and hot glue them into the foam. Don't glue them into the foam before you CA them unless you have foam safe CA.

And yes, my finger stays over that ban button. Like I say here at the base, if anyone is feeling "Froggy", all they have to do is "Jump" lmao. I'm ready!

Derek

Popsicle sticks and CA glue....got it. No, the CA glue that I have is not "foam safe" so I'll apply that before I hot glue the popsicle sticks to the foam.

Sounds good!

Tony

Staff member
You being the "foamie guy", I'm surprised you didn't know about that lol. But now you know. You never know what you know until you know it!

Derek

It's amazing what I knew "then" and can't remember "now", lol.

I just saw a post from Eyestation, on Kyle's 540 thread, and I thought I'd just post my info here, lol.

I just got done adding the push rods and getting the base rates set on my DX8. I have the DX8 setup so that I will flip the AIL/DR switch from POS1 to POS2 and that will give me regular flying (I hope) on POS1. Then, flipping the AIL/DR switch to POS2 will give me the "OMG, what just happened???" rates.

I have an odd-motor choice (for now) and I know that I'm gonna catch some grief for using it, so I hope everyone gets a chance to poke some fun at my motor, lol, but I have a 9x5SF prop on the 540 and I did a test run by holding the plane, vertically, in my hand and running up the throttle...it wants to lift right out of my hand. Very nice!

I saw that Eyestation mentioned that his 540 weighs 20oz. I weighed mine (with 3S 1000mah 20C lipo) and it weighs 14oz.

I'm still not sure about the CG location yet. Should I go off the "1/3 rule"? 1/3 back from the leading edge??? If that's the case, my 540 is pretty close. Maybe I just need to do another video to "sum up" what I'm talking about here, lol.

I'll be back with a video! :)

Tony

Staff member
Yes, 1/3 chord is a good place to start. As stated, I pulled the plans because I have not tested for any of this yet. and I didn't want anyone to plow their plane into the ground and then blame me lmao. I'm the one that always gets blamed lol.

Derek

Cool enough! I'm pretty sure that I have a good CG at 1/3 chord. It might need a bit more nose weight. If this motor doesn't work out, I do have another motor that I'd like to try and it's a bit heavier and a bit less KV.

I can understand why you pulled the plans. No problem! I'm certainly not a "great" pilot nor a "great" builder but I have fun along the way. I'm gonna give this plane a fair chance and I'll share the results. Who knows....this may become a popular plane.

here is a video update. I'm just waiting on my wife to get home so that she can be my camera person. Besides that, she likes to be around for the maiden flights of all my planes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEdiLfT-fqA

here are the Dual Rate and Expo settings (these are subject to change)

Aileron POS0 25% D/R and 0 Expo POS1 75% D/R and 50% Expo

Elevator POS0 25% D/R and 0 Expo POS1 85% D/R and 50% Expo

Rudder POS0 25% D/R and 0 Expo POS1 55% D/R and 20% Expo

Tony

Staff member
On high rated, I HIGHLY suggest you put 35% or more expo in there. those controls get really twitchy. Remember, this plane is made to fly slow. More of an indoor flyer than anything.

In the video, it looks like your right aileron is pushed down just slightly. And it also looks like you have more down deflection than up. Might just be camera angles though.

I'm sure this plane will fly fine. Use low rates, get it in the air and trimmed out. Then keep it in low rates for the first battery or so and get used to it. Even on your low rates, at anything over half throttle, it's going to be very responsive. Put that thing into high rates, and hold on, because you are going to go for a ride lol.

Can't wait to see the maiden video. Wish it was my video, but yours is second best to me lol.

Derek

right now, on high rates, I have 50% expo on everything. It's gonna be one hell of a ride, no matter what, lol.

Thanks for that compliment, too, Tony! That was cool!!!

Derek

So...I took the 540 out for it's maiden flight today. It was a bit gusty, but not horrible. I'm waiting on Youtube right now. They are performing some kind of work and it's not letting me upload anything right now.

The maiden flight went pretty well. I did learn that the motor that I have on the plane right now just isn't going to work. It was pretty hot when I came down. I have another motor that I want to try on this plane before I order a new motor/esc. That test will be tomorrow.

Here is the motor that I used on the plane today:

hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1500kv

Here is the motor that I will be trying tomorrow:

GH2212-13 Technical Data

Input voltage: 11.1 volts
Max Continuous current: 12 amps/60 seconds
KV: 1000
Weight: 47g
Max Watts: 175W
Prop range: 10x5

The 2212-13 is perfect for slower flying planes up to 28 oz, 3D planes up to 15 oz, acrobat airplanes up to 18. Easily spins a 10" prop.

Similar to AXI Gold 2212-26 or Eflite Park 400.

I'm gonna go see if I can get the flight video uploaded yet.

Tony

Staff member
Only 9 amps? wow, yeah that is a bit under powered. Also, look at the suggested prop in that link you posted. You had a bit more pitch than that if I remember correctly. Hence the hot motor.

Hope the next one works better. I'm trying to figure out what woudl be best on this plane. I think I just need to build the damn thing and start testing lmao. Looking forward to the video.

Top Bottom