Projects Derek's New Project: Un-named 3D Plane

Unfortunately, Castle doesn't list a surge (or burst) rating for the Phoenix Edge 80HV. It's quite possible, unless I hear otherwise, I'll order a 120HV. It's the next size bigger than the 80HV.

Yeah it just says that 80 amp is the maximum current rating, hopefully someone will verify this, but I wouldn't use it especially of your doing 3D stuff...

EyeStation

Your 2- 6S batteries in series or parallel ?
Parallel would only give you a 22.2 Volt source pushing your current to 121Amps.

Never mind, "but since I want to run a 12S battery setup on this plane..."
Found my answer.

Last edited:

Gerald

I am a little with the LG answer but at the leading edge of the wing is best! Trust me I have been laughed at for my landing gear that is too far back and I nose over on take offs and landings!

Derek

I've got the landing gear placement all marked out on the belly of the plane now.....just at the leading edge of the main wing.

Now, I need to sort out which ESC is going to work. I may just end up getting the Castle HV 120, just for that added reassurance.

Derek

Does no one else have an opinion? I'm guessing that the 80HV will be enough but I don't want to get the 80HV and burn something up. On the other hand, I don't want to spend the money on a 120HV if the 80HV will actually work.

Lee

Your motor is rated at 75A, so the 80HV Edge will be enough. It can run a continuous current of 80A and way more as a Burst.
The batteries will depend on the real C rating, not the sticker rating. Even If they were only 25C thats 80Amps.
So you should be good to go.

Derek

Thanks for that, Lee! How do I find the "real C rating" instead of the sticker rating?.

In regard to the C rating, I've learned my lesson. Initially, I bought some 20C batteries because they were cheap. Then I start flying better and flying harder...full throttle vertical climbs for excessive periods of time....then I noticed some puffing. Hmm, not good!!! Then I started researching more and learned more. Now, I spend the extra money for nothing less than 35C batteries. I haven't puffed a battery since.

Your motor is rated at 75A, so the 80HV Edge will be enough. It can run a continuous current of 80A and way more as a Burst.
The batteries will depend on the real C rating, not the sticker rating. Even If they were only 25C thats 80Amps.
So you should be good to go.

Excellent news, that will save a bit of cash Derek..

Lee

The real C rating is only revealed, once you buy the battery and test it your self.
Justin on RCHN did a review if packs last week. He talks about the real C rating.
Only packs he said had the same as the stick said was. Spyder packs from ProgressiveRC.

Top Bottom