Projects Derek's New Project: Un-named 3D Plane

Derek

So, may of you know that I built a rather large plane over the last two years. Unfortunately, it met with some disastrous ends. So, now I have a rather large motor, a rather large esc (which won't be used on this new project), and several very strong servos.

I've done some searching around and I've decided to build a 72" 3D plane.

New 3D Plane Project - YouTube

Derek

I have the firewall cut out and dry fitted. Vent holes will be cut, eventually. Since I did make the firewall 90 degrees, I'll set the thrust angle with spacers. I figured it would be easier to set the angle with spaces than guessing the angle as I install the firewall.

My 3D plane motor mount done - YouTube

Derek

Thanks! My last "large" plane didn't work out too well, lol. I'm hoping this will work out much better.

Derek

Oh yeah! not all of my builds are successful, but I'm always learning something, lol.

Derek

The foam is 1/2" wall insulation foam sheeting from my Lowe's (my DIY store). I have a wing spar tube inside the wing that has a 15/16" ID. I need to find something that I can use for the actual wing spar that will slide into the wing spar tubes. To help give the wing some rigidity and solid-ness (<---is that a word, lol) I sprayed a bit of Expand-A-Foam into the wing. This will help hold everything together as well as make the wing more solid.

Unfortunately, I have to work the next 3 nights so I won't be able to get back to the plane until next week.

Derek

I was doing some thinking at work last night. I've decided that I'm going to redo the horizontal stabilizer on this plane. I just don't like how it turned out. I'll post some pics or video of the current stab and the new one when I get it done.

Derek

So, i've started to think about the landing gear. I'm going to build the front and landing gear, myself, instead of buying them. The steerable tail wheel and the landing gear are both going to be rather easy to build. I have no doubt there. My doubt does come when it comes to front landing gear placement. My plane is measuring out at 74 1/2" in length, from the nose to the tip of the rudder. I was aiming for 74", so I'm happy.

I've looked at some other pics of planes on the net, trying to determine the best place to attach the front landing gear. I don't want the landing gear to be too far forward but I surely don't want the landing gear to be too far rearward either. Does anyone have any thoughts about landing gear placement?

74" 3D plane landing gear placement question - YouTube

Hey Derek your build is looking good bro... I've just browsed the web for landing gear ideas. If you look at the 74" yak 54 it has it's landing gear just under the tip of the front wings

Here's the link to the manual

Last edited:

Derek

I appreciate that, Tony! I have just recently found a few good pics of some planes and you are right. The landing gear is just under the leading edge of the wing, where the wings meet the fuselage. Very cool!

I appreciate that you looked around for me and I appreciate the kind words. I'm quite happy with how the plane is coming along. Thank you!

Derek

I actually have all the electronics for this plane that I want, except for the ESC. I do have the Hobbywing 100amp esc, from my previous project plane, but since I want to run a 12S battery setup on this plane...the Hobbywing esc just isn't going to work.

I've gone back and watched Tony's (forum owner, lol) on Matching the motor to the esc to the battery. Very educational video!!! I want to run some numbers past you all and see if I'm thinking about this correctly.

For the batteries:

Tony is saying to find the Amp rating that the batteries will put out, to follow this equation:
MAH x C rating / 1000 = Max amps that the batteries will put out

So, I'm wanting to run two 6S 3700mah 35C lipos
that would be 3700 x 35 / 1000 = 129.5 amps Am I thinking this correctly?

Tony is also saying, for the motor, take the watts from the motor specs and divide that by the battery voltage to find the amps needed for a proper ESC. I'm using my Tacon Bigfoot 160 245kv motor from Hobbypartz.com. The specs say 2700 watts
so, that would be watts / battery voltage = motor amps
2700/44.4= 60.81amps

All that being said, I'd be very safe with a Castle HV 80amp esc. Right?

Hey Derek, I'm no genius on rc stuff, but those equations are spot on... My worry would be the 80 amp ESC. Your going to pull up to 61amps, does this include any surge current, don't think so mate. That ESC in my opinion is going to run pretty dam hot. I would be adding around 30% to those calculations, so 61amp + 30% = 81amp...

I could be wrong here but I don't think that ESC will last long tbh...something to think of

Derek

Well...that's why I posted my questions. I'm just uncertain. I fully understand what you are saying. No doubt! I'm sure the brothers of RCH can help give me some assurance.

Derek

Unfortunately, Castle doesn't list a surge (or burst) rating for the Phoenix Edge 80HV. It's quite possible, unless I hear otherwise, I'll order a 120HV. It's the next size bigger than the 80HV.

Top Bottom