600 Derek's Align Trex 600e Pro DFC

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Derrick any heli sight will have them under the tools sextion! Here is one sight that has them. I'm not sure what diameter the balls are you need to mic the balls for the size.

Experience RC

Ps there the ball link reamers!

Derek

Thank you, Sam! I appreciate the link. Never even thought to check Experience RC. I don't order from them much. Thanks again!

Derek

Ok, after getting a few of my other projects completed (both rc and around the house), I am finally back to working on my Trex 600e Pro DFC. I keep a logbook, of sorts, of each of my projects because I tend to bounce from one project to another and I don't want to forget to check something that needed checked or rechecked. I was going through my log book and it seems that I wasn't happy with the solder joints that I ended up with on my ESC, batteries, and EC5 connectors. I remember being very afraid that I was going to have some cold solder joints. Now, with a 12S helicopter, spinning two 600mm blades and the whole heli weighs in at more than 8 pounds....colder solder joints are UNACCEPTABLE. I will be going to the hobby shop tomorrow in search of a good soldering station. I've watched several videos on Youtube of people soldering EC5 connectors and 10-12 guage wire and it seems that they prefer to have a temperature of over 600 degrees. That seems a bit high to me (inexperience and uncertainty talking here) but I do know that my little soldering iron that I currently have is no where near that high temp.

I'm looking forward to getting a good soldering station so that I can get some confidence in my solder joints...especially on my 600.

Derek

Here is curious issue...I was just looking at the Castle Creations ESC programming and I don't seem my ESC listed in the preset list of ESC's. I have the Phoenix Ice 2 HV 80 ESC on my 600. According to the CC website, this ESC is a discontinued item, along with all the other Phoenix Ice 2 HV ESC's. The Phoenix Edge ESC's have replaced the Ice line of ESC's.

Can I just choose an HV ESC in the programming list that is closest to mine in order to be sure that the ESC is set the way that I want it?

Tony

Staff member
I'm with westy on this one. When I solder batteries or connectors, I'm running my Hakko (get a Hakko!!!) at 400ºc to 450ºc. I have found this to be perfect for large wires and joints. I will turn it down to 325ºc when doing things like electronic board repairs and such. But trust me, get a GOOD soldering station. Not one of these knockoff's that will burn your house down. It's a one time investment!

As for the BEC, don't get me lying.

pvolcko

I just ordered a Hakko and am using a Weller now. For these big connectors I've had bad luck with the Weller, even at high setting it has a tough time heating up the large guage wire fast enough to prevent excessive wicking of the solder. So I use a micro torch on the big stuff. I' hoping this Hakko will deal with the big stuff better. From what I've heard on the Hakko it is much better at fast heat up and maintaining tip temperature under load, which should make it much better at handling heavy gauge wire soldering.

pvolcko

FX888D with a mess of tips. Hopefully it will cut it. NExt step up is a pro-grade setup and I'm not looking to do that unless I start fabricating custom FBL and/or Quad/Hex controllers. :)

yardner

I will be going to the hobby shop tomorrow in search of a good soldering station. I've watched several videos on Youtube of people soldering EC5 connectors and 10-12 guage wire and it seems that they prefer to have a temperature of over 600 degrees. That seems a bit high to me (inexperience and uncertainty talking here) but I do know that my little soldering iron that I currently have is no where near that high temp.

Derek,
I had the same problem when i was setting up my 600 Pro batteries with the EC5 connectors. looked at a couple of videos and saw a couple of guys useing a soldering TORCH bought one, tried it, and it work real well. I really don't have many occations where i need to use it other than making EC5 connectors but I didn't own one so it just gave me an accuse to buy a new tool.
This is what i bought, there are cheaper ones out there if you look. But this one has served me well so far.
It's really good at heating up the large connectors.
http://www.amazon.com/Weller-P2KC-Professional-Self-igniting-Soldering/dp/B000WOHSHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390528452&sr=8-1&keywords=Weller+P2KC+Professional+Self-igniting+Cordless+Butane+Soldering+Iron+Kit

Anyway, just wanted to share what i use to make my EC5 connectors.
Hope this helps.

Derek

Thanks, Yardner! I love coming up with an excuse to buy a new tool, lol. Paul has talked about using a small torch for his connectors, too. I never did make it out today to get a soldering station and since I have to work this weekend, I'll go looking for one next week...along with a small torch. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tony

Staff member
If it's any consolation, with my Hakko, I have never had an issue soldering. If I had an issue, I just cranked up the temp lol. And I'm using a small tip. 1/4" or so. I need to get a 1/8" tip though. I will push the Hakko till the day I die, they are that good. I have had mine since 2002 I think. Still working strong.

Derek

Here is curious issue...I was just looking at the Castle Creations ESC programming and I don't seem my ESC listed in the preset list of ESC's. I have the Phoenix Ice 2 HV 80 ESC on my 600. According to the CC website, this ESC is a discontinued item, along with all the other Phoenix Ice 2 HV ESC's. The Phoenix Edge ESC's have replaced the Ice line of ESC's.

Can I just choose an HV ESC in the programming list that is closest to mine in order to be sure that the ESC is set the way that I want it?

We seemed to have skipped over this one. Any thoughts about the ESC question?

pvolcko

Hehe. Thread jacking is fun. :)

The Ice2 120HV's programming should be the same as the 80. Find the closest higher current rating Ice2 HV unit from the list and roll with it. While the Ice2 line is discontinued, they should still be showing up in their setup software. Many people still use them and there is a used market for them.

Generally the software should auto detect what is connected. If it isn't make sure your connections are good. Sometimes I plug the throttle servo lead into the usb dongle the wrong way and get confused by nothing is working. :)

Derek

Well, unfortunately my personal life and my "responsibility" has gotten in the way of getting a new soldering station...this week. Next week, however, should be a different story.

Tony, you were giving me a hard time the other day (jokingly, and I understand that, lol) about me not flying my 600 because I don't have the RC Booya canopy mounts ordered yet. I also need to order that reaming tool for the ball links. Remember, I ordered the titanium turnbuckles from Heli Option and they came with new ball links that are just too tight on the 600. That needs fixed, too. But...other than the reaming issue, the canopy mounts, and the doubt that I have in the soldering...this 600 is ready to go. I'll also need to get out of this below freezing temperatures before anything flies.

pvolcko

Yeah dude, put the stock parts on for flight testing and getting some circuits in. When the good stuff comes in, swap it out, post some pics, and fly some more! :)

Derek

Or, I could just simply wait for the flying weather (above freezing) to get here, then go flying a bit. By the time I order the new parts and get the ball links reamed, the better weather should be here.

cml001

That a new icon/emotion thinggy Tony? Werd? Lol.. Lol it.. I'm not big on using those things bit I love seeing them... Especially when it's something I say a lot... Werd!

- - - Updated - - -

I was looking at those links.. Might shouldn't try'm... Keep us up on progress!

Top Bottom