600 Derek's Align Trex 600e Pro DFC

Lee

Yeh why you taking the Ikon off Derek? Its a better unit.
That is one amazing deal you got. How did you talk him out of a brand new 600DFC?

Derek

Well, I understand that the ikon is a better unit. I also understand that the AR7200 is a great unit. So...I want to put the AR7200 on the 600 Pro DFC and I have future plans for the ikon that I believe I will need a better unit installed.

I wish the 600 DFC was brand new. It is "lightly used". This was understood before he sent it to me. It's a rather long story as to why he sent me the heli with an ikon unit, AR7200bx, 600mm Align blades, Castle 20amp bec, Castle 80amp HV esc, and two brand new Gens Ace 6S 3700mah 35C lipo's. I'm just grateful that he felt that he should send me such an awesome gift.

It does need a bit of work but I'm up to the challenge. This is going to be a very fun project for me. I just left the hobby store with a set of new Edge tail blades.

Derek

So...I just made a deal with Paul for a USB cable so that I can program the Ikon unit that I have. Thank you for that, Paul!

Here is a video that I just uploaded that shows off the helicopter a bit and some of other bits...along with some of my usual rambling. Sorry about that. I tried to keep the video short. It's a bit more than 12 minutes long but there is a lot to show.

Derek's Trex 600 Pro DFC - YouTube

heli-maniac

A few tips for you
if you change the dampers in the head ONLY put the Align dfc ones back in in it
Get the hel option canopy mount that goes on the bottom of the canopy and only use the top back heli option quick release ones on the back .
Update the TT gears to the M0.8 black gears they are super strong
and put the front landing strut on the right way LOL

pvolcko

Derek, after seeing this video... The prior owner installed the Ikon with the USB port to the rear. It is going to be near impossible to get this plugged into it in that orientation with that small gap to the motor can. If you intend to use the cable to plug into it while that Ikon is on there you will run into a problem. IF you only intend to to use it on this mystery project you're talking about, then you should be fine.

Also, I see that the Ikon is setup with an external gov sensor. You will not be able to use this with the 7200BX, so you'll have to setup the ESC's governor.

Derek

Hey Jesse...I got the landing struts going the correct way now. not sure why I did that before, lol.

You also said to get the Heli Option canopy mount that attaches to the frame. This will hold the canopy in the front, very similar to my 500. You also said to just get the quick release mounts and use them on the top. So, you are saying to use nothing on the bottom two holes? Why is that?

Derek

Well, it seems that I've changed my mind. I had just downloaded the Ikon setup program and I was going through the Demo. This thing is even more impressive than I thought. I will be keeping the Ikon unit on my 600. I will, however, be moving it just a bit because of the way that it is currently mounted. I'm simply going to move it forward, just a bit, to allow access to the Ikon Programming Port. The way it is installed now, I just don't see how the plug on the USB cable can get to the programming port.

Nonetheless, the Ikon will be staying on the helicopter.

Derek

Derek, after seeing this video... The prior owner installed the Ikon with the USB port to the rear. It is going to be near impossible to get this plugged into it in that orientation with that small gap to the motor can. If you intend to use the cable to plug into it while that Ikon is on there you will run into a problem. IF you only intend to to use it on this mystery project you're talking about, then you should be fine.

Also, I see that the Ikon is setup with an external gov sensor. You will not be able to use this with the 7200BX, so you'll have to setup the ESC's governor.

Yes, you are right....the Ikon is installed with the USB port to the rear. There is a tight gap between the Ikon and the motor. I'm hoping that I can move the Ikon forward enough to allow access to the Ikon's USB port. Although, I was looking at the Ikon programming demo and it looks like I can mount the Ikon in a variety of orientations. We'll just have to wait and see what I decide to do.

During the mechanical inspection, I did notice a small electronic part that confused me. I had no idea what it was until I followed the wires up to the Governor port on the Ikon. So....I quickly found out what that piece was. Very cool!.

heli-maniac

Hey Jesse...I got the landing struts going the correct way now. not sure why I did that before, lol.

You also said to get the Heli Option canopy mount that attaches to the frame. This will hold the canopy in the front, very similar to my 500. You also said to just get the quick release mounts and use them on the top. So, you are saying to use nothing on the bottom two holes? Why is that?

You dont need the lower mounts if you get the bottom mount . But its up yo you on how you want to mount it

pvolcko

I mounted the Ikon on my 700E in the same place, but turned around 180 degrees so the usb port is coming out the front. Works great.

Derek

I mounted the Ikon on my 700E in the same place, but turned around 180 degrees so the usb port is coming out the front. Works great.

Great minds must thing alike, Paul! After going through the Demo Mode, on the Ikon setup programming, I did see that I could turn the Ikon 180 degrees and this would allow easy access to the usb port. So...that's exactly what I did. Because the wires were all bunched together, and I didn't know what wire went to what...I numbered them all and then disconnected them...turned the Ikon 180 degrees and began to reroute the wires back to the Ikon. Unfortunately, I did run out of time and had to head to bed, so I'll get back to the 600 on Monday, after my 3 day work weekend. By then, the usb cable that I bought from you should be here.

Perfect!!

Derek

As this is my first 12S helicopter, there are some wires on this helicopter that I dont understand what they are. I also have two sets of positive and negative wires coming from the Castle Pro 20 amp bec. Would it be possible to meet up with someone on Skype to help me identify what wires go to what so that I can get the plugs changed and get this heli powered up?

I'm at work this weekend, so I won't be able to work on it again until Monday, but I'd appreciate if someone could meet up with me.

Thanks guys!

Derek

Of course I'm not on Skype...I'm at work, lol. I seem to remember saying that I won't be able to work on the 600 until Monday, lol. Youre ADD is kicking in again, Tony, lol.

Lee

CC bec pro has two output leads. plug both into different ports on your receiver or
into two Y harnesses to carry the most current. Servo connectors are not intended to carry more than 5 amps continuously. if your application draws more than 10 amps continuously, please replace these connectors with a connector rated for your amperage.

Derek

Yes...the CC bec pro had both sets of leads plugged into the Ikon. I had to pull all the wires from the Ikon in order to rotate the Ikon 180 degrees. I wanted to rotate the Ikon to allow better access to the USB programming port. However, while I was pulling the wire leads from the Ikon, I did number each set of leads and I did make a note of where each wire lead went to. Now, it should just be a matter of rerouting the wire leads, in a tidy manner, back to the Ikon.

Dirk

Congrats on the acquisition Paul. Awesome heli.

Good choice to stay with the Ikon. I love the way the Ikon flies on my 550. One suggestion though - leave the self level off for the moment. There seems to be a special "mod" called the Milton Mod that seems to sort out the self levelling issues with the Ikon. ( Ask me how I know ) Also, DO NOT put power into the bind port of the Ikon. I heard it makes magic smoke when you do that.

Coming from a 3GX on my 450, I feel like changing to an Ikon/Brain for the 450 too.

If you need help to set up the 3 different banks on your DX8 just give me a shout. I am currently only using two banks that I toggle with my Gear switch. I initially had it on the 3 position Gyro switch so that I can use all three banks, but found it unnecessary to use all three.

Last edited:

Derek

Actually, the acquisition was mine. I'm Derek. Paul is the guy that has been kind enough to send me the Ikon programming USB cable for a good price.

I've decided to keep the Ikon on this helicopter and use the AR7200bx on an upcoming project. I'll look into that "Milton Mod" that you are talking about and do some reading. If you find something on this mod, please share it with me.

Thanks for the tip about the bind port. No one likes magic smoke!!!

Top Bottom