Setups Derek's 1.3ghz FPV Experience

Derek

Thanks Lee! Now I need to go explain to the wife that I NEED this little piece, lol.

wolfman76

i need to look at what fpv gear i got now not sure what i have freq wise can't to see your setup n flight derek.. been putting my spider quad back together

Last edited:

Derek

I'm also looking into getting a 5.8ghz system....but that's for another thread, lol.

Derek

oooooooooooooooooo, i'm getting excited now!!!

I just spent the last 6 hours (maybe more, not sure, lol) working on getting the 72mhz receiver installed in my canard, getting the wires "some what" pretty, getting the 1.3ghz video transmitter and FPV camera installed, as well. Oh yeah! Finally done and I did a test run, here in my garage. I got everything plugged in and here are the results:

1. ESC initialized
2. Control surfaces move and they move in the right directions
3. 3 axis flight stabilizer is working properly
4. Wiring isn't "beautiful" but they are organized (sort of, lol)
5. Video transmitter and camera are functioning

ok, I'm sure I'm going to forget something....let's just say that once I got the flight packs plugged in to the plane and plugged a battery into the video receiver and then put on my Fatsharks....everything worked and I could see myself as I stood in front of the plane with the camera, obviously, on the nose.

On top of all that, the cg is "spot on".....just a tad nose heavy. The video transmitter is installed in such a way that it should get real good air flow without obstructing air flow to the ESC.

Just awesome!!!

The bad news is that I have to work my usual 12 hour shift for the next 3 nights, lol. So...I'm just gonna be happy that it's all set up and it will be waiting for me on Monday.

I'm using a 1.3ghz video system that I bought from StoneBlueAirlines (on Youtube). The 72mhz 6 channel Futaba transmitter was also bought from SBA. I got the 8 channel Corona RP8D1 72mhz Long Range Receiver from Hobby King. Fatshark Dominators from ReadyMadeRc. The plane is a scratch build canard designed by ExperimentalAirlines (Youtube). This plane is called the "Ansley Peace Drone". Originally, it was called the "Peace Drone" but ExperimentalAirlines added his daughters name to the name of the plane.

Since Monday's re-maiden flight will be with the new FPV system and the "new to me" Futaba transmitter, the first couple of flights will be "line of sight" only so that I can be sure that I get the plane dialed in...again. I was flying this plane with a Spektrum AR600 rx and my DX8. I had it all dialed in after 2 flights. I'm hoping for the same success with the Futaba tx and Corona rx.

Now...where did I leave my keychain camera???

Derek

The canard was a superb slow flyer on the Spektrum system but it was still capable of relatively faster flying, as well. I just hope that I can get the canard dialed in and get some FPV flights under my belt. I'd like to get a small video monitor so that my wife can watch the video feed, too.

wolfman76

If I read it right the set-up I have is a 5.8ghz is that good or bad the antenna for the base rx is flat and the part that goes on the aircraft is a whip style antenna? It also came with a 7" video screen and usb cord so I can use my laptop as the screen and some trippy X-MEN Cyclops lookin video goggles with attached earbuds

Last edited:

Derek

The way I understand it, 5.8ghz will have much better video quality than my 1.3ghz but the range of the 5.8ghz won't be as much as my 1.3ghz. You can also use 5.8ghz much easier with a 2.4ghz radio system, too. It all comes down to what you want. The 5.8ghz will also break up if you fly behind trees and building. The 1.3ghz will have the power to punch through buildings and trees. That fact, on top of 2-3 miles of range, is why I opted for the 1.3ghz system using a 72mhz radio system.

Now, I could be wrong but this is how I understand it.

Derek

I paid $300 for my 1.3ghz system. Its completely plug and play. There are probably lesser expensive 1.3ghz systems available but I trust the guy that I bought my stuff from.

Derek

It finally happened! I had my own FPV maiden flight. I used a plane that I am pretty familiar with. After a bit of LOS trimming, it was time to put on the Fatsharks. What an amazing experience!!! The video was flawless and the enjoyment was endless. I don't have any video, unfortunately, because someone (me) forgot to turn on the onboard camera, lol. Next time. Anyway...it was awesome!

Stambo

It finally happened! I had my own FPV maiden flight. I used a plane that I am pretty familiar with. After a bit of LOS trimming, it was time to put on the Fatsharks. What an amazing experience!!! The video was flawless and the enjoyment was endless. I don't have any video, unfortunately, because someone (me) forgot to turn on the onboard camera, lol. Next time. Anyway...it was awesome!

A likely story. :p
NO VIDEO, BAN HIM TONY!!! :biggrin1:

EyeStation

Congrats Derek. The skys have been great here in the great lakes area lately. Still waiting for a Buddy to Box with to get my maiden in.
Maybe I should use different terms when asking for assistance.

wolfman76

Congrats Derek. The skys have been great here in the great lakes area lately. Still waiting for a Buddy to Box with to get my maiden in.
Maybe I should use different terms when asking for assistance.

In our area Dave it's called a 6 pack.... lol

Derek

I've crashed my FPV plane beyond repair. Only had 3 flights on it. Bummer!! I really liked that plane.

Not being discouraged, I've started another plane for FPV and I've recently read that the servo wires and the wires from the ESC should be "shielded". Hmmm! How do into about shielding my wires? Also, what is the reasoning for shielding these wires?

Stambo

Bummer on the crash dude but as they say, stuff happens.
Do you know what caused it?
Nothing on my FPV quads are shielded, still seems to work fine.

Derek

No, I have no idea what caused the crash. The hand launch was smooth. The plane flew nice and smooth and level for about 20 seconds and then went into an uncontrollable death spiral to the ground. None of the electronics were damaged but the foam board plane was destroyed.

So, in my continued efforts to move on, I'm building a 49" flying wing based on FPV Trond on YouTube. Well, my wing is a combination of the wind designed by FPV Trond and the Rite wing Zephyr ii. Looks great so far. I'm in the process of installing the electronics.

Lee

Sorry to hear you crashed it.
Sheilding reduces unnecessary RF noise that can affect your radio and video signals.
Easiest way to reduce noise.
Pull the three servo wires ( + - and Sig) apart. then plat them back together. (get your wife to do it) :D LOL
You can also use ferrite rings on each wire, but i don't.

I have an FPV wing ready and waiting for electronics. Been sitting here for a year now. Should finish it off :D

Derek

Sorry to hear you crashed it.
Sheilding reduces unnecessary RF noise that can affect your radio and video signals.
Easiest way to reduce noise.
Pull the three servo wires ( + - and Sig) apart. then plat them back together. (get your wife to do it) :D LOL
You can also use ferrite rings on each wire, but i don't.

I have an FPV wing ready and waiting for electronics. Been sitting here for a year now. Should finish it off :D

Thanks Lee!

But...what do you mean by "...then plat them back together"? That must be a UK term that I don't understand. Are you suggesting to braid the three wires together after separating them? If that's the case, it would probably be better if I did the braiding. I braid her hair because I'm better at it, lol.

You also said to use a ferrite ring on each wire. Are you saying to use a ferrite ring on each of the three (positive, negative, and signal) individually or all three as they are stuck together?

I just did a bit of reading on "RF Noise" and "RF Interference". I was trying to understand what it is and where it possibly comes from. I think I understand that much. However, how does "RF Noise" interfere with the servos? I'm trying to understand why it is that I would need to braid the three wires and why that helps.

Top Bottom