Setups Derek's 1.3ghz FPV Experience

sarconastic

I am no expert on the radio stuff but I will say a wire that moves back and forth repeatedly in while flopping in the wind will eventually fail. The copper inside will break from the back and forth movement, and that will cause to you a ton of radio interference problem and or failures. It may take a while but it will happen.

Woody

Derek

Thanks for the comment, Woody! I have to admit, I have recently been thinking the same thing. However, I just read the comments left by my Youtube subscribers and they all said that I shouldn't have any issues. Several of my subscribers have said that they do it this way...with the antenna trailing behind. One of my subscribers even suggested using one of those plastic antenna tubes, like on rc cars.

Who knows! It may just be ok. I'm gonna wait to see what my RCH brothers have to say about it.

murankar

Staff member
I am going to stick with securing it. Nothing bad comes for it. Wort thing is if you have to front s couple dollars for the tube. An once of prevention beats a pound of cures.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tasajara

You can re-route it if you like. When I used 72mHz I had it just as you did out the end of the wing tip. flying in the breeze. The only difference was I had the RX closer to the center so there was not as much hanging out.
I have also ran them on top of the wing going from left to right in the shape of an "S" multiple times to where you may go back and forth to use most of the ant. wire.
Then let the rest hang out the end. I always taped mine down with 3M storage tape, it is the strongest packing tape and will stick for years. I used this tape on my 150mph flying wings on the elevons.

Derek

Thanks for that, Craig! I was just concerned if I did reroute the antenna wire back to the left of the wing that maybe I'd have issues with reception because the antenna wasn't straight. But, from what you are saying, it sounds like I'll be in good shape either way.

Tasajara

Just to be safe...and Sure, do a good range check with your Video TX turned on. Then the ant. down on your 72mHz TX. go about 50' (should have read 50 yards) if I remember right... and if you don't get any servo jitter you should be good.

Last edited:

Derek

Just to be safe...and Sure, do a good range check with your Video TX turned on. Then the ant. down on your 72mHz TX. go about 50' if I remember right... and if you don't get any servo jitter you should be good.

That sounds good, Craig! Thank you for that! I never even thought about testing the system with the antenna down. I may even test that before I go to work tomorrow.

Range checking a 72mhz tx.....is that the only way to do it? with the antenna down? It may be the only way to do it with my Futaba because I don't think it actually has a "Range Check" function. Anyway...thanks for that!!!

Tasajara

I made a little error... I meant to say 50 yrds not 50 feet on the range check with the ant down.

And yes that is how you range check a 72Mhz radio , anything past 35yrds is good but if you get 50yrds you should be solid.... :wink:

Last edited:

Derek

The non-stop sprinkles and storms today kept me from flying anything today. However, I did have my flying buddy over for a few hours today and he helped me test the range from my 72mhz Futaba tx to my rx on my FPV wing. I had him stay in my garage with my wing powered up and watch the servos. I grabbed an umbrella and my tx and, with the antenna down, I just began walking down my driveway and down my street until he said the servos twitched. I stopped walking, continued to move the sticks.....ok, lets just speed the story up, lol.

I followed Craigs suggestion for range checking my 72mhz tx. Using a range finder, I was able to get approximately 46 yards away from my wing. Based on what Craig said, above, I imagine 46 yards is quite good.

Now, please can I have a dry day, lol

Tasajara

One question were you in clear line of sight of your Wing? if not that can effect how far you get.
Also remember you have an air radio and it is designed to Transmit and Receive best in the air so it can sometimes get a greater range if the plane is held over head.
Just some extra thoughts to think on... If you didn't do either of these you may even go farther.. :welcoming:

Derek

There was a bush that was in the direct sight path, between the wing and the tx but other than that, nothing else in the way. Also, the wing and the tx were probably very close to being at the same altitude....very level with each other. So, if what you're saying is true, I should be in really good shape. Like I said, with the antenna down, I got to roughly 46 yards (measured with my hunting range finder) before the servos began to act abnormal.

Tasajara

I would think so, but always check when you get to the field again. One field i flew 72Mhz at had one spot that would mess with my plane. So I stayed away from that spot

Top Bottom