600 Dan's Trex 550e PRO DFC build thread.

danhampson

fixed it it was the brain/ikon software.

what ive had to do was connect the heli to computer and in the software check that i had 0% at low stick and 100% at high stick, turn everything off.

Turn tx on, put the throttle to mid stick and power up the heli and run the ikon software.

In the ikon software go to advanced setup/common/governor, move the throttle to the high position on tx and then slowly move the throttle max slider very slowly up until the esc gives conformation tone.

Lower the throttle to 0 (tx) and move the low throttle slider (slowly) until you get another conformation tone.

Job done.

ive not enabled external gov on the esc as its set to fixed endpoints as standard, im waiting for my castle link to arrive. I will have a look at the stick programming for it later on.

Last edited:

danhampson

Had a few things turn up today. Castle link, helioption cnc tail control links and a new 5000mah battery. Hoping to get out in the morning to finish setting up.

danhampson

Dan's Trex 550e PRO DFC build thread. self level setup.

ive been out this morning setting up the self level feature of the brain and shot some video and edited it so the results of the adjustments can be seen.

prior to the first flight the heli was set on a level surface and the set level button in the basic view was press giving the values of:

-2 ail angle for level
-4 ele angle for level

these settings are in advanced/bank2 (which ever bank you have self level active)/gov&stab.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slobberdog

Nice Dan, but man that blade folded well on initial spool up, then gave a good jerk when it straightened back out

danhampson

yeah i know i didnt have any tools with me, i forgot to put them back in my flight bag last night after taking the blades off to setup the governor bailout.

nipped them up when i got back.

i forgot to add to my previous post that the brain is mounted on a piece of align gel tape held down with some velcro and a large cable tie to isolate the brain from vibrations.

Last edited:

danhampson

its an amazing system. I set it up with the wizard to 600 3d preset and ive not really altered many of the settings the gains are stock apart for tail p (dropped 3%, gov (dropped 6%), both precomps (upped to pitch 75% cyclic 70%)

With these settings it feels responsive but docile at the same time. With the brain on the protos i had to turn down the agility to around 55% otherwise it was mental fast, the 550 agilty is 90 (stock) and im loving it.

Lee

Nice Dan,
As you saw from my Goblin, All stock settings, and its like a rock.
With self level, did you have the heli sitting flat on its skids?
One mistake people make when setting level, is thinking level is flat on the skids.
A lot of helis, when in the air, don't fly at that angle.
The best way to make sure the heli is "Level", put a bubble level on top of the motor, FBL unit or frame mounts.
Then adjust using paper under the skids, until bubble is centred.
Then press "set level" button.
This should give you almost perfect hover first time.

Last edited:

danhampson

Yes it was just on its skids when I hit the set button but I had bubble leveled the sensor first. And on its skids it was level, it probably could do with some fine tuning but I think if I get in trouble its close enough to flip the switch and punch out (ensure brain to thumbs is working)

danhampson

550 has been down for some maintenance and a radio change. Ive been over the heli with a fin tooth comb inspected and oiled all bearing, shafts and links (no oil here). everything is looking fine, after the mechanical i remove the spektrum sats, installed the r2008sb receiver.

The change in radios was reasonably easy once i had got my head around the futaba menus and terminology (i did spend most of the day playing through the menus to get used to it). The brain was fantastic with the futaba system, and was very straight forward to set up, there were just a couple of small issues but the tx manual is quite good and there are examples to follow which made life easy.

IMG_20140628_204348.jpg

hoping to maiden with new radio later today

IMG_20140628_204348.jpg

danhampson

Already done tony but thanks for the heads up, I checked throttle direction in the brain advanced menu.
I've taken her for a quick maiden (no video this time), I just need to adjust the stick tension a bit its a bit loose for me (a bit scary at first) but all in all the tx feels a lot more precise than my dx6i and I can reach the switches.
I do think that if I had no knowledge of transmitters then the setup could have been problematic. As there are not any 8j Heli setup vids that I could find (there are many for 8j and DJI quads with naza)

Tony

Staff member
Dude, going to this Tx from the DX6i, yeah, you are going to feel loads of difference. The gimbles are so smooth and precise. But yeah, loose sticks will make you forget where your sticks are lol. Little off putting at first.

And no video on a maiden!!! what the hell lmao.

danhampson

i did record it mate, its not really worth uploading there were quite a few people about so it was just a bit of hovering around and a flip, the stick tension put me right off. Ive got that sorted now. might upload it the vid in a bit.

murankar

Staff member
I really want this radio. I think its my next purchase when i can afford it. I really think with a better radio one can really progress faster. So the stock stick tension is loose?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

danhampson

Yeah tension is quite soft. I've adjusted it by about a turn and a half which has given the stick a far more positive feel. But its a bit of a personal thing.
It was a breeze to set up with s-bus more or less plug and play with the brain, once the switch assignment is sorted out.
I've still got a few things to fine tune (expo).
The difference from my dx6i is night and day it makes the dx6i feel like a cheap toy. I'm not knocking the dx6i its served me well for the last 14 months and will continue to so (on the sim) and I would not hesitate to recommend it to a beginners.

Top Bottom