Quad Dannys QAV500 build

SIXFOOTER

OK, 1 step closer, had to run the Driver Installer. Manual was not very clear at all on that, but I have it talking now.

SIXFOOTER

SUBTRIM!
Found out that you need to set the ATTI mode first useing Subtrim, Then set the endpoints in the servo setup.
So now IOC switch works, F Mode works and the failsafe switch works.
Need to rebind the Rx to get the Preset Failsafe to work. Then start in on the GPS and compass calibration.
One step at a time
This guy seems to know his stuff
Was a big help
Setup Videos - Spektrum Radio Programming Help

SIXFOOTER

Danny,
I think I gave you the wrong cable advice.
I don't think its the ZH JST
its the Molex 3 pin 1.25mm Molex 3 pin 1.25mm connecter with 30cm lead 89040999
They look really similar, but one is slightly bigger.
I hope you didn't order it already.
So sorry if you have :(

Parts came in today, Exactly correct, so Thank You.

Now, your the guy recommended the Naza M, how the heck do you get this thing to fire up?
Been all through the programing oon the software and the Tx, can't get it to spin up.

Lee

Really glad it was the correct cable :)
As for the Naza, its my friend that has it on his.
It works really well, but i don't have one and haven't set it up.
There are plenty of guys on here that have though, so they should chime in and help you out.

SIXFOOTER

OK, On to the next issue:
I can't get this thing to spin up.
Been pointed out that since I am not useing Naza ESC that I may need to "Calibrate" them. I thought thats what I was doing when I used the RX to set the throttle points, aparently not.
So, how the heck do you calibrate an ESC?
Naza manual says Governor off, Break Off and Normal start
What else is there to know and how do I do this?

Thanks for your help
Danny

SIXFOOTER

So...
Finally figured out that the cables from the FC to the ESC were flipped, ground on bottom instead of on top.
Flipped them and Whatta ya know, it spins u, Cool
Took it outside, Started it up in GPS lock and it promptly flipped over to the left, twice.
Now I am working on getting the flight camera to working.
Ideas on where to start with the flipping over thing?

EyeStation

I had two different things cause this on mine. Motor layout, and wrong gyro direction.
Try to spin it up SLOWLY to get the motors just spinning, and then safely grab tight the body and pitch the quad. You should hear the motors that you are tipping towards speed up. Try it on the elevator and aileron axis'.
Trying to do this with stick movements when spooling up to a hover will toss the quad over every time if the above is not set properly.

Last edited:

Tasajara

I always leave the props off, NEVER spin it up for the first time with them on your multirotor. Just keeps from damaging your props or yourself LOL
I use painters tape on the shaft to tell which way they are spinning ( make a little flag). Always plug the battery with it sitting the way you will be flying it. Never plug up a Multirotor upside down then flip it over it tends to screw with the gyros.
When I plug mine up I tend to let it sit for 8 to 10 sec before I touch it.
Not sure if any of this will help, it's just a few things to think of.

Last edited:

SIXFOOTER

Finally got all the bugs worked out of this thing and tonight it actually Flew!!
Got a few more little things to work out, get the flight cam working, install the gimbal for the GoPro. Also got to get the Ground Station put together but that can take some time while I now learn for to fly this thing reliably.
Thanks to everyone that answered my questions.
Got to post a video now.

SIXFOOTER

Well now,this one goes in the "Who Knew" category.Thoughts on waterproofing ESCs?
3rd short flight out over the canal behind the house, Compass vibrated loose and rotated a bit to the left. That in turn played hell with my directions, forward stick made it go somewhat left. Took a bit for me to realize what was happening, I started to compensate for the weird stick control and Almost got it back to dry land, but not quite, I had to dodge over hanging tree limbs and Banana trees and ended up in the water right at the edge, no more than a couple inched deep.
My son to the rescue, pulled it out and I immediately disconnected the battery and took it apart and blew out what I could and packed all the touchy parts in a bag of rice for a few days.Go Pro powered up but today its not doing so. 2 dead ESCs., dunno bout the rest yet.Motors and Rx all seem to work.
Got to check out the FC Vid Tx and OSD setup one at a time yet.
dammit

- - - Updated - - -

One more thought.
Anyone come up with a way of waterproofing?
Maybe fill the ends of the heat shrink with Silicone?

Lee

Bad luck dude.
I never fly over water unless I am 100% sure of my aircraft, and even then, i'll think 2,3,4,5 times before doing it.

SIXFOOTER

Yea, GF's first comment was "So why were you flying over the water"?
I'll probably do ti again, the view is pretty cool.
Got to do some research in water proofing.
Oh, and tripple check everything is secure.

SIXFOOTER

Anyone got details on EZOSD? The port that goes to the camera has power, ground, vid, L&R Audio
Book shows VCAM out at +12v, mine is putting out 5v which would explain why my flight cam is not working. Is that output switchable?

Top Bottom