Quad Dannys QAV500 build

SIXFOOTER

After several fits and starts I have picked this up again and decided to actually get a real quad together.
I am planning on using this thing for a photography and video platform for work mostly, but some fun too.
I build cell towers, so pics and vids of my guys up on the towers will help me a lot.
I finally figured out that I am not skilled enough to slap together a 500 class and fly it successfully.To that end, I bought a Blade QX180 to learn to fly, it has a camera and works with my DX6i and it has a stability mode for noobs like me. I have discovered that it does not do well in much of a breeze 100 feet up. It ended up in a tree 100 yards from where it was supposed to go but fortunately no damage.

I am still working on the Bluesky H4, it should be done soon as a couple parts come in and I can get the program tool sorted out for the KK2 board I have for it. Then I have to learn to fly that one.

I have been drooling over the QAV500 some of you guys have and managed to find one, it should be here in a day or two. Pics up as soon as I can.

This one will be serious, full on top shelf as best I can build. I have fab and build skills so no problem there. Where I will need help is learning enough about the technology to make the best decisions on component selection.
What I need it to do is hold a hover wherever I park it, return to where it took off from, do a circle sideways, focused on a point like the top of a tower

What I have available:
QAV500 frame
DYI 30 and ESC's with SimonK firmware
ImmersionRC EZOSD
2 KK2 boards
props
Immersion 600mw tx
Several RXs

So, how do I get there?
Power:
NX-4008 motors from HK or the Lumenire FM4006? Something better?
Zippy compact 4s 5000 batteries

FC:
Apparently the KK2 board does not have facilities for GPS and the whatnots for the abilities I want
So what to get?
Multiwii and Megapirate AIO Flight Controller w/FTDI? Looks like it will do what I want.
What is the FTDI?
What is Open Pilot?
Is there something more appropriate?

OSD:
Seems like something thats necessary, I have the EZOSD and the antenna tracker board, will this do what I want? Will the GPS in there work for the Multiwii?

Flight Cam:
I have a GoPro camera, it looks like a lot of guys are running that plus a flight cam, I can see why that is.
So a flight cam, recommendations?
I liked the look of Lee's gimble for the GoPro, might be a good way to go for the video and the price is right

RX:
Do I need a satellite RX?

I appreciate the help on this, I'll asking a lot more questions as I learn what I don't know about at the moment
So thanks in advance for the help.

Danny

Lee

Motors. The FM4006 I have feel really smooth so far. Can't go wrong with those.
Batteries. I would go for smaller. I run 3700mah Zippy Compacts, which gives easy 10+ mins flying. I found the 5000s made the quad feel very heavy and clumsy.
FC. For what you want it to do, I would go for something like the Naza M + GPS. My friend was a complete novice, but this gave him loads of confidence to learn without fear of crashing.
OSD. I would keep it simple first. Don't put the OSD on until you have a lot of hours on it. It will only distract you. I never fly with an OSD.
Camera. Gopro for the win :) and an FPV camera. Cant beat the PZ0420 from Security2000.com Fantastic clear picture and only $45
Gimble. Again, keep it simple to start. The gimble is very delicate and won't take a crash well. You need to be 100% flying it first.

I was actually contemplating selling my whole system today, but i'm not sure yet. Thinking of going in a new direction.

SIXFOOTER

Lee your machine is Bad A$#@, I love it.
Good point on the durability on the gimbal, I can see that being the first part to hit whatever is in the way.
Thanks for the feedback on motors and batteries, the math probably makes sense on the weight.

Stambo

From what I have seen, the Naza M V2 is easier to set up than a lot of other FCs but also a lot less configurable.
Someone else may be able to tell us if the NAZA is capable of waypoint navigation yet.
Before you make your decision I suggest you do a google search for Naza runaway.
Also, whatever FC you get, if it has a compass onboard, a lipo alarm is a BAD idea.

I may have to disagree with Lee on one point.
If you use a basic FC like a KK2 with no altitude hold, I think an OSD is not such a bad idea.
My confidence increased dramatically once I new my height, speed and battery voltage.

Lee

I do think OSDs are great. But i like to learn to fly by feel first, before relying on what the OSD was telling you. Each to there own i guess :)

I did the same when learning to Paraglide. I flew without a Vario and altimeter for a long time before buying one (able to afford one :D ). It taught me to feel what the wing was doing rather than what other guys did, which was, stare at there instruments, waiting for them to tell them what was happening :)
When i finally got my Vario, it was just there as a clarification to what I already knew was happening.

marcus621000

You can always get the version 1 nazza ,ive been using it for almost a year now and hold in wind is excellent,and you can get then quite cheap now.

SIXFOOTER

Naza 2 is on the way. QAV frame got here last night.
Will be next week before I can do anything on it since I am out of town this w/e.

Question about EZUHF - How is it connected to your TX? If I am interpreting what I am reading its really just a replacement transmitter piggybacked onto your regular Tx, then a corresponding Rx on the bird.
Will most or all TX's like a DX8 interface to the UHF Tx?

SIXFOOTER

I think I found the answer, there is a cable to connect the trainer plug on the back of the Tx to the UHF Tx, does it disable the native Tx output?

SIXFOOTER

Naza M V2 arrived today!
Tomorrow I'll start building this thing
Got new ESC's after I discovered one of the ones I got with the frame was bad.
Pics will be up along the way
1 holdup, Getfpv snet 2 of the wrong prop adaptors so I have to wait for them, hopefully Monday or Tuesday.
Also discovered that the Naza software is not available for Mac, so now I have to fix my PC.
This could take a while

SIXFOOTER

Well, been a while, work keeps getting in the way and then there is the never ending Honey Do list...
So I finally got the computer rebuilt and back alive, basically its a new computer with a Sabertooth board, i7 core processor, SSD and 16gig of ram with my old data slid in there. So, now the Naza software is installed and runs. I have most of the hardware dry fit on the frame and need to get it all wired and tested. Someday I'll actually fly this thing.
Next issue, I have Phoenix flight software and it worked fine before the PC rebuild. Now not so much, installed software and went through the calibration on both TX's and get the same issue: no elevator, works in the setup but not on the models. Also with the DX8 channel 1 and 6 respond to the throttle.
Tomorrow I may take a run down to Maniacs and see about plugging my adaptor and TX into their system and see what it does, any suggestions?
Also looking for Flight Sym with FPV, best choices?
Thanks

Stambo

Phoenix has a sort of FPV view.
You need to load an infinity scape flying site, then change to cockpit view, but it's not the same as for real FPV.
As for setting up the TXs, try starting from scratch with a new model. Don't delete the old ones yet though.
Westy has some good Phoenix setup vids on here some where.

Marius also has a very good setup series in the Phoenix section of Paid Simulators.

Last edited:

SIXFOOTER

The flight camera I have didn't come with a cable.
Any idea what this connector is called and where I can get one?
Small, white 3 pin

SIXFOOTER

Well, finally got this thing built. Wish I had read the manual before final assembly, would have been good to know I needed to calibrate the ESC's before everything else. Now I have to take it partially apart for that. Oh Well, they always say RTFM before starting.
Need a cable for the flight camera and have not settled on the final confiig for either camera, but that will have to wait until I learn how to fly this thing. Before that, got to get it programmed.
Its a lot heavier than I expected
Here it is:...

Lee

Very nice mate. Mine has been sitting on the shelf staring at me to fly it :)
My Goblin is getting all the love at the minute.

SIXFOOTER

Thanks Guys;
OK, here is where I am. All assembled and powered up, ESC's calibrated, RX bound.
PC plugged in and solid green light on the NAZA, but no indication of connection on the assistant software, blue and red lights on the screen not lit up.
Computer makes tone to indicate device is connecting, but thats it...

Top Bottom