Clone Flight, Lee, need your opinion!

Tony

Staff member
Gov on the YEP is done with throttle curve. They say not to go over 85% so you have a little head room for power bursts. From what I'm gathering from him, he is running .9 on the P Gain and .03 on the I Gain. And he is running regular Gov and not Gov store. If/when I get my head back together on this thing, I will be playing with this since i need to make the videos on the Gov setup.

Tony

Staff member
Um, I'm pretty sure I lost something here somewhere. I see that those "may" be turnbuckles, but I have vowed to never buy clone again. This 450 is the last clone purchase I will make.

PaulRC

You've been burnt, your buying the wrong stuff. Corona servos, they are horrible. RJX look alike head systems too much moving parts has more chance of slop, no room for simplicity. Assan gyro? The worse gyro to buy. Your going the wrong way in things. This is what I mean, you got too much on your plate, it's clouding your mind.

This is what I buy servos that are proven they work well. HXT900's, XGD's, Hitecs, (I've seen these servos doing smack 3D, you gotta have a gyro that supports a lot of different kinds of servos). DFC head and swash designs, pure simplicity, I add Trueblood dampers for crazy flying. As for gyros I use spartan quark, beastx v3 or clones, vbar or clones. Mainblades I use carbon fiber PRO3D and Radix clones(once again proven in smack 3D just check on youtube there tons of videos with them). ESC's I use YEP's for my 250 and 450s. They all work well.

I've been down that road before, buying all sorts of crap, expensive or inexpensive. There are crap things out in the market or over rated. You just got to make sure you don't get sucked into buying them, and making sure you are buying the right rigs

Tony

Staff member
Assan gyro? This bird is running a 3GX. I have removed the Corona servos and they are in teh trash pile. Back to the Assan, I have it on my SE V2, and it's actually pretty good for a $10 gyro. I have an Align DFC head on this bird as well. My dampers are solid plastic, very rigid. I'm running the YEP 45 esc. You say you like as do others, I'm not a fan of it.

I think there has been some things lost here. I didn't build this helicopter for me, I did it for the forum. I would have never built a clone, but I did it as if I was a new member just getting into it. It's a learning tool for those. Use my money and let them learn. about 70% of this helicopter is now align. Again, this clone was NOT for me. Just trying to completely shake it out to prepare for the next video where I post on video all the times and items that burnt me. And there are quite a few of them. But, it's all in the spirit of helping the new guy, so it's all good.

Tony

Staff member
Lee, just went out again and flew with freewheel on and Gov on (not store, not fast). 60 it was okay, had to use a LOT of collective. 65 was better and stable, but twitchy. 80% and I got a tail wag. I know it's not my gyro gain, I think the thing was hunting on me, but not sure. I will get this esc figured out yet lol.

PaulRC

So today I got the mainshaft that DAL sent me and I installed it. The vibration is there still so I'm thinking blades now. The blade tracking is not quite perfect, but it's not out by a lot. Only about 1/8" or so. About as close as I can get it with the DFC head.

My question is with the Gov on the YEP 45a. Shouldn't the Gov raise the head speed up, go past it's set point, then come back down? It doesn't do that when I throttle up.

Warning, this is a VERY boring video.

Align 450 Pro V2 Clone Flight YEP 45a with Gov Store on - YouTube

Going with your question here, the gov sets in, when you put the Throttle in 100%, preety much you are teaching the ESC that this is the max that this motor can do. That's when your heli will do the chicken dance. I do this on the bench without main blades or tail blades.

If your looking for a cheap gyro the HB790(spartan clone) gyro is apparently good. But I'm a spartan quark fan. :D

Tony

Staff member
Why do you keep bringing up gyros for flybar helicopters? I'm running a 3GX on this heli and the gyro is working perfectly.

And I did the Gov Store where you run it up to 100% and it was lacking on power bad. I think I'm just going to file 13 the idea of doing the gov setup on this ESC. I'm not a fan and I'm not impressed with it.

Tony

Staff member
lol. I like things that just work. I did my "tinkering" back in the day. Now, I just want crap to work, and doing a project like this is driving me insane lmao.

Adam

We are all insane and with you driving yourself insane we will stay out of your way.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah well, the clone project is finished. Helicopter stripped a servo and plowed it's self into the ground. Let this be a lesson for everyone, you buy cheap, you will spend more. I'm either going to replace the remaining pieces with Align, or I'm just going to purchase an Align kit without the gyro, pull the Align parts off this clone for spares, then scrap the clone parts. But, this experiment was a failure, but it helps teach everyone that wants to get into clones a lesson. Unlike Nike, Just DON'T Do It.

Lee

@ Graham
You will not get any more head speed out of the 600 using the GOV. The headspeed is maxed out due to the motor and pinion combo, not the ESC.

@Tony
I don't use freewheel, only GOV. My Warp is smooth as with this set up.

concept30

interresting Topic, i will only buy top line helicopters like "Blade" or "Align" eflight aka Blade isnt all the best mostly cause of the belt system they use on alease 40% of there helis, Align looks like there parts are made out of steel, if this is off topic im sorry, i seen that Tony wasnt happy with his clone, so i put my two cents in about what i think is the best selling helis

Graham Lawrie

@ Graham
You will not get any more head speed out of the 600 using the GOV. The headspeed is maxed out due to the motor and pinion combo, not the ESC.

@Tony
I don't use freewheel, only GOV. My Warp is smooth as with this set up.
@Lee. I had not done throttle settings right when programming the YEP:)

john2012

Banned
Hello all well i just want to tell you that i have the turnbuckle links for the for the grips for the pro 450 and yes they are for the grips????

john2012

Banned
Well no but this is for the dfc head and no i only bought the turnbuckle and the ball links thinking i could use them on my 450 sport but not happening but it is for dfc???? And yes i do have a T-Rex 450 dfc new style heli with the split servo holder and the new swash mixer links

Last edited:
Top Bottom