Scale Cal Fire UH-1C

Boogs

Got some color on her. I'm not happy with this brand of paint, had better results with a less expensive brand. No matter how long the cans were shaken, the black would spit and the red dried flat. At least the clear went on good.
DSCN2906.JPG DSCN2909.JPG DSCN2915.JPG
Now to let this round cure for a week and finish up the red, apply graphics and clear. Meanwhile the mechanics are being sorted for fit and alignment, test flown.

Tony

Staff member
If the can is spitting, put it in 110ºF water for about 20 minutes. This will help atomize the spray that is coming out. Or better yet, get your hands on an airbrush. It's coming along nicely though! And remember, if you are spraying clear, it is actually better to spray satin or flat paint first. Gives the clear something to hold on to.

Boogs

Thanks Tony, I'll try that. I'm hesitant to mix paints at this point and will finish using the same brand. Orange peel would really ruin my day. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Having both gravity and siphon airbrushes and an automotive touch up gun.......

Hey Ivan, thanks, hows the Coast Guard project doing?

Tony

Staff member
If you want to use the same paint out of the can, you can get a solvent safe container, put the nozzle of the rattle can in it and cover it with a paper towel. Use latex gloves to hold the paper towel on and seal it. Then, just empty the can, or spray how much you need for your airbrush into the cup. And presto, you have the exact same paint from the can that you can now spray in an airbrush with much more control and better atomization.

As for orange peel, I have found very light coats after heating the can (unless it is over 100 outside) almost eliminates it.

Boogs

Just a progress report. Gave in and ordered the right kit rather than try to adapt something that may well end in heart break, The kit is "Out for Delivery" and the order includes a FBL. A couple shots of the Huey and the mock-up frame (Thanks Ivan!)
DSCN2918.JPG DSCN2917.JPG

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Look at you go Rick. It's looking real nice. That's the same kit I have that I flew for along time and now I have that frame and electronics in the 450 Coastguard heli. :confused1: Hmmm.... I use to have a frame that looks like that Lol. Keep the progress report coming and pics too! Thanks for sharing :)

Boogs

Hey Ivan, thank you for the frame, it was just what I needed to get on the right track. It worked perfect for the mock up. Got the kit, amazing how they can pack it into such a small box.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Your welcome Rick and remember, dynamite comes in small packages Lol! Enjoy the Tarot kit. I always did :)

Top Bottom