Scale Cal Fire UH-1C

Boogs

With the added complexity of the 5 blade head and my limited experience I have decided to set aside the MD 500 E for now and work on my UH-1C instead. This is another 450 class project and will use a Blade 450X for mechanics. New motor, ESC and an AR7210BX will be used, this is a later release so it already has MG servos and a spiral cut main/pinion gear set. Some photos to show progress to date.2000-12-31 2000-12-31 001 005.JPG DSCN2800.JPG DSCN2802.JPG
And one to show where I'm going with this.CAL-FIRE-106.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Very nice Boogs! I need to get my 450 CoastGuard heli going again. Maybe this will get me motivated. Keep up the good work and keep the picks coming. :)

Boogs

Thanks guys :beerchug: Laid out and drilled for the navigation lights. The internal seam at the back of the dog house where the beacon goes gave me some grief, solved with a rotary file. I need to do a little patch work, should get to that today.DSCN2805.JPG DSCN2804.JPG DSCN2803.JPG

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Boogs. I tried to dig up a video when I had the Coastguard Heli with lights up and flying but I couldn't. I did find a picture when i first received the fuselage from a friend P3230085.JPG

Sweetfrost

aaah the sanding and sparteling stuff .. i know that almost too well. I am so eager too see where this i going - great!

Boogs

Thanks Geena :hdbng:

Nice! Good luck with the restoration D.O.G.

Yes, just when you think you're done, sand some more!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Man do I envy the members that have the talent and patience's like you, sweetfrost, Derek and his dad ... ect. to do such great detail work. Keep the pics coming. I'm enjoying them :)

Boogs

Man do I envy the members that have the talent and patience's like you, sweetfrost, Derek and his dad ... ect. to do such great detail work. Keep the pics coming. I'm enjoying them :)

Thank you sir! Jim hooked me up with the correct size riveting tools so I did my very first try on an old shell I had laying around. It's relaxing, and challenging at the same time. When I do the Huey,I'll put my magnifying visor on.
DSCN2872.JPG

Jimbo

Nice work Rick and the rivet lines look good. Just remember that the longer you wait before pacing the rivet, the larger the bubble gets. You have to get an eye for the right size bubble and move steadily, without stopping or going too fast. I find it better to work towards me. Keep a damp sponge nearby to wipe off the needle if the bubble is too large and if you screw up, use the sponge to wipe the offending dots off.

Jim

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah I know what you mean by magnifying visor. I'm blind as a bat @ 54 but it wont stop me from flying and having fun! It's all about having fun at what ever you do :)

Boogs

Thanks for the tips Jim, I find myself rushing a bit, not waiting for the bubble to develop. But I'm getting the hang of it. It's really not as bed as I thought it would be, relaxing as you've said.

I'd be lost w/o the visor Ivan. Got a few years on you, think it was around 45 that I had to start wearing glasses. Pretty used to them by now. Couldn't do these w/o the visor. 075.JPG

Started to "rivet" the cabin, sitting out on the back porch with the wife and "kids".

Tony

Staff member
That's it, I'm never doing a scale build. There is no way I can hold a candle to you guys lmao.

Fantastic work!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Absolutely Tony, those members that are scale builder are just awesome at what they do. I do envy them, that's for sure. I'll stick to flying, it just seem easier to me anyway. Keep up the good work guys and pics coming :)

Boogs

Here's another tip for anyone doing rivets. When you;re flushing out the "tip", make darn sure it's firmly attached to the syringe. If not. it can and will shoot of into parts unknown. Happened twice yesterday, had to take a break and while cleaning the tip, it shot off and went all the way to the fence. I found it that time, it also got a burr that had to be dressed. Second time the wife found it. Just glad the kids didn't find it with their paws.

Top Bottom