Projects Building The RC Help Edge 540

RRacer

I really like this plane, but would like it to be more floaty, so I'm thinking of a slightly bigger one.
I tried to put the tiled pdf plans together using inkscape, but there were some issues with that.
I'd really like to play with the dimensions to make an iteration to my taste.
Will of course share here if it turns out any good.
I'm looking at a target wing span of 100 cm (the foam board available in Sweden is 100x70 cm and a bit more dense than the Dollar Tree variety).
Tweaking print scaling options could achieve this, but I'd like some more control.

So, is there an untiled plan available, or even the original drawing?

Tony

Staff member
At this time there are no untiled plans available for the Edge 540. If I get some time today though, I will see if I can make one up for you guys.

regme40

Just print it on A3 paper rather than A4, that's what I did

After joining all the pages together the size of the plane is roughly 800mm long with a wing span of 1050mm.

This is roughly an increase in size of about 300mm from the A4 version.

Tony

Staff member
I have a metal one that I put in the video on the start of the Edge build. Yes, I started the video, then got stupid busy and never edited it lol. But I do have one that has inches and MM. Great way to know the conversion lol. Or, you can just use simple math to figure it out. If your plane is 30" on the wing (which the Edge is), all you have to do is divide 30 by .3937 and you get 76.2cm. There are 10mm in each cm, so you can either multiply 76.2 by 10, or you can just move the decimal point one spot to the right to get 762mm. Once you do it a few times, you will get the hang of it. Just remember, there are .3937in in a cm. Once you memorize that number, you will be able to figure any plane out.

RRacer

It took some time, but now the 40" Edge 540 flies.
I modified the elevator a bit. The connecting bit between the halves is quite thin, so I made it bigger and put a CF rod in it.
As this moved the tail further back the stabilizer needed som trimming, which I forgot to do before painting it :/
I put a 6 mm solid CF rod in the wing. Making a score and scraping out the foam made no sense so I just cut out a strip for the rod.
Initially ran it with a too small motor. It would fly, but not below 80% throttle.
When I gave it an NTM Prop Drive 35-36A 1800 kv it came to life!
A 2200 3S lasts about 5 minutes of mixed flying.

Anyway, remaiden with new motor:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom