General Brown out help

Lee

You must have a spare RX pack around from your gliders. Plug the RX pack in and remove the red wire from the ESC. Then spin up the heli and see if it browns out. That will tell you for sure if its the esc.

xokia

You must have a spare RX pack around from your gliders. Plug the RX pack in and remove the red wire from the ESC. Then spin up the heli and see if it browns out. That will tell you for sure if its the esc.
good idea!

treff

Hello Lee. I have tried that, on the third rx latest one is the Spectrum AR6210 with satellite. Next week to make double certain I am going to put this heli on 35MHz. I have stripped the head out of the heli and there is nothing wrong that I can see. So I will have another go next week. What I can not understand about motors and ESC is that my motor will draw 50amps max load surely you need a ESC that will handle 50amps and more. What I can see from the Align set up is that they use a motor that can draw 40amps and more but they use and ESC that is only 35amps. If the motor is not going to draw more amps why not use smaller motor. I can see this being the ESC that is at fault not many people seen to trust the Trust lol. Cheers

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
just need to understand this.. even if your motor is spec'ed at 50A and esc at 55A. even in a stable hover, the heli is not going to draw (your size) more than 10-15 amps.. Not even in load. My 700 size pulled 80 amps on a HUGE pitch pump with 12 degrees collective and 8+degrees cyclic.. thats a LOT of pitch on the blades on a VERY huge bird.. So in a hover.. you arent gonna pull that much current. You could even hook it up to a 30 A esc (in theory) and hover it. you fly it around and you will see a power loss.. :)

but like LEe asked.. what was the result of the three tests you ran ?

treff

Thanks gents for the info. First test I did was to swap out AR6115e for Ar6210 with sat. No difference. I then Plugged an old 4.8v battery pack into the bind plug on the Ar6210 so that it had a continuous supply and ran the motor up again. This did make a difference, still brown outs because the rx started flashing but the motor did not cut out. I think somehow vibration or static is effecting the rx but how, I do not know. I am going to take out all the electronics and run the heli with everything wrapped in foil and not in contact with the frame just to see what happens. Cheers

Lee

When you did the RX pack test, did you unplug the red lead from the ESC? Sorry if this is a dumb question and i'm teaching you to suck eggs :D Just want to get this sorted for you.

treff

When you did the RX pack test, did you unplug the red lead from the ESC? Sorry if this is a dumb question and i'm teaching you to suck eggs :D Just want to get this sorted for you.

Hello Lee, Yes I pushed out red lead from bec plug to disable bec but retain throttle and then plugged in rx 4.8 volt pack into the bind/data socket on the receiver. What I did not see was that the old 4.8 volt pack was knackered, forgot to test it. That was dumb on my part. It was a long day. I will make up another pack and give it a try again. I'm sure it is the ESC bec not giving enough current. I have done some research into these Esc and by and large they do not do what the spec says being far overrated to get silly buggers like me to buy them. I think they are only good for about 3 servos in say a powered glider but definitely not a heli where the servos are working quite hard most of the time. I'll let you know. Cheers and thanks for the reply

Lee

I did notice in the specs it said a Max of 3A and a max of 55A. Very suspicious.

Lee

Yes Lee is right I have held the blade grips to stall servos I have even put sponge on the servo arms to make them work harder and it does not cause the rx to brown out. What does cause the brown out to stop. I removed the plastic blades from the grips and ran up the motor to full without blades and I had no brown out. I replaced the bladed ran up the motor to just over half throttle I get brown out. I changed the motor back to a smaller one and do the same blades on, blades off. With the bladed off I get a good run with the bladed on I get brown out. I can not see whats going on here. It very, very strange. If I get time tomorrow I will do a video. I thought the plastic blades maybe getting some strange vibration. The blade ends do look as if they are not running right and I do not mean tracking but it could be my eyes playing tricks. Also the head as developed a definite wobble at low revs so I am going to take every thing apart and have a look at the main shaft. There is something amiss but to my noob eyes I am missing it. Thanks for all suggestions. I forgot to mention battery in list which is Turnigy 2200MHa 11.1v 30/40c. Cheers

If there is some sort of movement in the system, it could possibly be transfereing load back down to the servos. I'm pulling at straws now. :D The best way for us to work things out would be to see a detailed video of the set up and a spool up showing the heli going into brown out. Wish you could just teleport it down here to Spain for me to have a look. Always nice to have a second pair of eyes. :D

treff

Hi Lee Well I found the problem. One of the servos was, is faulty and was causing the brown outs. Unfortuately that is by the bye. On testing I ran the helicopter to just over half way. The tail suddenly gave out, blew out any way the helicopter went into uncontrollable spin tipping over and destroying itself on the floor before I had the where withall to turn the damn thing off. Lots of damage to the head and blades both main and tail. I think I will now call it a day.

Lee

Lee, could the 3A and 55A be regarding the BEC/ESC respectively?

Yes it is.

Treff man!! You must have had all your bad luck by now. To find the problem, then have that happen must have really ****** you off.
I don't know what to say. As the heli kit was only $23, i would just buy a better kit and throw everything on that. Keep whats worth keeping from the old kit as spares.

treff

Hi Lee, Yes think your right but still do not know really what happened. Tail suddenly went clockwise so fast I could hardly see the damn thing. Time the old brain box realised what was happening the bl---dy thing was thrashing itself to death. Oh well, just have to put it down to experience an get on. For my next purchase I am going to get the mcpx bl which I quite fancy. Nothing to build, pop in the battery and your away or at least getting some air time in. Cheers

Lee

I love my MCPX. Great little heli.
Would you say that when it spun, it was the highest you had had the throttle so far? I'm guessing your gyro direction may not have been set right?

treff

Hi Lee I have discovered my fault. I had been messing around with the tail getting it dead centre on the slide and I had to limite the throw somewhat but what I did not do was to rebind the heli with the gyro set to HH. I sure it was set to the other position so the slightest twitch from nervous fingers and around and over it went. Here endeth the first lesson. Check, check, check, then check again. I will rebuild. This damn helicopter is going to see some air between it and the ground. I swear. Cheers

Slobberdog

Treff, depending non how much damage you have done you might want to consider the blade 450 3d, kings Lynn model shop has the for 130 quid fully built and ready to fly, might be an option for you, bind and hop of the ground.

Top Bottom