General Brown out help

treff

Hello all Well I am still suffering from brown outs and could anyone help. I have changed out rx and have now installed spectrum rx with satelite. I have lubricated belt and rerouted servo wires numerous times and still suffer from power drop out or loss. The ESC I am using is Turnigy Trust 55 amp. The bec is 6volts at 3amps. Is this enough current to run 4 sevos, gyro and rx? I am now beginning to get seriously fedup Any help, suggestion would be appreciated.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
The esc depends on the motor draw. If your motor is drawing all the juice then it doesn't mater about the 3 amps cause the motor is sucking it all anyways. Could be the motor is shorted and using all the power up. Or the esc is to small for what your trying to do. You need to get an amp meter and test it all and see where your at. Guessing is just going to get you frustrated at it all! You might have a bad servo sucking all the juice too!

treff

Thanks breeze400 for the reply. I have monitored the current and it draws less than 2 amps average but 4 servos and rx, with gyro is near impossible to measure except over a long period of time and in different situations. Doing a one off measurement tells you nothing. I have tested all the servos one at a time and all are in spec. The gyro pulls very little except when and if the rudder binds, in this case it does not. I have lubricated the belt with silicon and I have changed out the receiver. I can not think of anything else. I have also change the motor. I have come to a full stop. Again any, any suggestions will be most welcome. Thanks

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
were you the one who posted a video of the brown out too ? I wanna be sure who I am talking to. cause I think there are two or three people having this issue.. I want to know.. can you please remind me .. forgive me if I have asked you before..

Bird: ?
Radio : ?
What RX ?
What servos : ?

treff

Hello coolgabsi I have posted about brown outs before but have not posted a video on the subject. For what it's woth my set up is this ; 3 Emax ES08Ma servo. 1 max ES 9258 on rudder. Rx is Spectrum AR6210 with sat. TX is DX8. hope that helps. Oh, almost forgot the bird is el cheapo HK450 the cheapest of the cheap. The HK450 CCPM 3D Helicopter Kit (Align T-rex Compat.) Ver. 2 The 27. 99 special. I think there must be something amiss somewhere that I'm missing but at the moment it is impossible to get this heli in the air.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm betting its your esc motor combo. Esc too small or not working properly. Did you try running the servos with the motor unplugged?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
the bird is ok to start with I guess. BUt frame isnt your problem .. :)
ok.. so what we are looking at is a brown out.

is the brown out happening in the air or on the bench too ...

One way some companies tell you to check for brown out is hold the cyclics and collective all the way to the extreme points, and hold them there (pitch all the way up, and cyclic at a diagonal point) and hold for 30 seconds or more. (motor disconnected obvously) and see if you have a brown out on the bench..

then somehow hold that on radio and put presure on one of the servos with your finger puching it down .. and hold that load for about 30 seconds toa minute.. If you dont get a brown out .. then your servos are ok and BEC is handeling it fine.. then we can move on .. have you done a test like this before?

xokia

If you dont get a brown out .. then your servos are ok and BEC is handeling it fine.. then we can move on .. have you done a test like this before?
Sometimes the motor plays a role. On my 250 I kept losing power. The internal BEC was of the linear type. So if you draw a large load on both the motor and servos it was enough of a voltage drop for the 3GX unit to shut down and reset. Wether that was caused by the BEC resetting or the 3GX resetting I'm not 100% sure. I ran an external switching BEC and my problem went away.

His BEC looks to be of the switching variaty so motor wont play much of a role but its only 3A. I could find the operating current of those servos but not the stall current. I think I would still try an external BEC after stepping through the steps coolgabsi explained.
This is the one I am using on my 250
Castle Creations 10 Amp Adjustable BEC [CSE010-0004-00] | Electric Accessories - A Main Hobbies

Last edited:

treff

Hello coolgabsi. Yes thanks I see what your saying check each servo under load to see if bec can handle the load. I will get on with that. I will also see if the bec can handle 2 stalled servos ( maximum current drain on bec) at the same time to see what happens and get back to you. I should have thought of that, Cheers.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I ran a 5A BEC with a 2S lipo on my 700 for a bit and it did fine.. 10A bec is good but an overkill.. but still noting wrong with having it. May be that would fix it.

And like Xokia said. If servos stalled and such dont create an issue ,. then what I meant from moving on is going to the power train then. but let us know for now what you find out. :)

xokia

I ran a 5A BEC with a 2S lipo on my 700 for a bit and it did fine.. 10A bec is good but an overkill.. but still noting wrong with having it. May be that would fix it.
I didn't see where he listed the battery he was running. For me the 250 is 3S and the 10A is what the hobby store had on hand and it was relatively small.

Lee

Putting some resistance through the servos as Gaba said should show up any issue with current draw. You can hold the blade grips in your hand to give a bit of resistance. Also you can waggle the stick round and round to there full travel for 30 seconds or more. 3A BEC should be enough for a 450. Most ESCs of that size are 3A.

treff

Yes Lee is right I have held the blade grips to stall servos I have even put sponge on the servo arms to make them work harder and it does not cause the rx to brown out. What does cause the brown out to stop. I removed the plastic blades from the grips and ran up the motor to full without blades and I had no brown out. I replaced the bladed ran up the motor to just over half throttle I get brown out. I changed the motor back to a smaller one and do the same blades on, blades off. With the bladed off I get a good run with the bladed on I get brown out. I can not see whats going on here. It very, very strange. If I get time tomorrow I will do a video. I thought the plastic blades maybe getting some strange vibration. The blade ends do look as if they are not running right and I do not mean tracking but it could be my eyes playing tricks. Also the head as developed a definite wobble at low revs so I am going to take every thing apart and have a look at the main shaft. There is something amiss but to my noob eyes I am missing it. Thanks for all suggestions. I forgot to mention battery in list which is Turnigy 2200MHa 11.1v 30/40c. Cheers

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
battery is more than enough. Is it a bad motor I am wondering sending spikes back down the ESC causing it to do a shutdown to protect itself. obvioulsy its under load when it goes out. Tracking I wouldnt think has anything to with this. neither does vibration. put a foam under the ESC and try again. It shouldnt make a difference.

And loading the servos makes it not brown out too... you said.. Did you hold the pressure for a long while?

Running on the desk, the motor is pulling nothing more than probably 10 A anywaz.. with the blades, even.. Thats too is a stretch

When you turn the motor , does it have grittiness or a noise?

next thing just like you did on the servos. load the motor on the bench without blades..

take off the blade grips and rotor head yoke. .leaving just the shaft. (assuming tail bladea re off) .. run the motor up, and load it on the bench by grabbing the shaft with a thick rag or something to try to load it .. thats the only thing I can think of.. and yes try the foam under your esc too .. see if that helps (shouldnt) .. if it does,,, you might be looking at a loose ESC solder or something. (remote chance) but try this

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm telling you it's the esc! It can't take the load. If its browning out while spinning the motor with the blades and you changed the motor then get a good align or castle esc. I never heard of someone using a trinigy esc on a Heli.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I used a turnigy ESC on my EXI450 for a while.. IT worked fine. The ESC might be an issue but how where and when I need to know.. Normal 450 size ESC is 35A .. he says his is 55A.. which is way over spec.. so should (I SAY SHOULD) work fine

as far as the rag thing.. Be carefull .. remove the swash if you have to .. just be safe .. All I means to say is grab the shaft without destroying your hand / shaft in some way to create load.. so do it whatever way you would like. :)

treff

Thanks all again for the great input. I will have another go tomorrow if I get the time but I think it will be next week now. Yes the motor which again is Turnigy a helidrive will pull 50amps so I though better get a 55amp ESC anyway thanks again. I will try another day.

Graham Lawrie

You can check the motor and eliminate it the way Tony described by using his method on a drill and testing all three wires in various positions and checking the load. I dont know much, but i think breeze is right:) Good thread by the way:)

xokia

It's a 55 amp ESC but remember that's a turnigy ESC. ESC's are commonly rated differently depend on if they are using the BEC or not. Spinning the main blades is going to require more current then just spinning the motor up. I'd stick an external BEC on and see if that's enough to fix the problem. Otherwise replace the ESC JMO.

Top Bottom