General blade pitch ? ?

walt2014

Hello well after reading a lot of post about blade pitch, I am still missing something,
I have a Blade 400 with updated servos fabatu all round and a gyro 401. every arm is set at 90 to servos.
after going in and setting every thing up from the manual, I cannot seem to get my pitch settings correct,
all servo arms are set with a caliper, and my swah plate setting are left side 59.35mm right side 59,53mm and front 16.35mm all should be 16.25mm , all blade are set at mid pitch . with a manual pitch gauge.
blade 1 0 pitch =+4 positive pitch =+ 11 and negative pitch = -1
blade 2 0 pitch= +2 positive pitch =+ 11 and negative pitch = +1
I have a x6i transmitter here are some settings
swash mix -75% -75% +85. swash type ccpm 120. thro cut ACT.
D/R expo D/R EXPO Gyro rate sw-gyro
aile 1 = 80% aile 0 100% + 30 0: 70%
elev1 = 80% elev 0 100% +30 1: 40.5%
rudd 1= 70% rudd 0 100% +30
THRO CUR
NORM 0.0% 42.5% 60.0% 80.0% 100.0%. PITCH Cur Norm 35.0% 42.5% 50.0% 75.0% 100.0%
THANK YOU FOR LOOKING

Tony

Staff member
I think I missed the question in there. What was the question you were needing answered?

walt2014

hi just one more thing when I put my right stick into a full positive pitch my swash plate goes down.? is this correct.?

Tony

Staff member
If you are running mode 2 on your Tx, which most everyone in the USA is, then the right stick (cyclic) should push the swash pitching forward. Front down, rear up. Sounds like your elevator servo needs reversed, then go into Swash AFR or Swashplate menu in your Tx and take the number from a positive to a negative to reverse the direction.

Hey Walt,
I'm not sure I can help you, but I'm gonna give it a try. I have a Blade SR and I recently setup and leveled my swash plate using John Salt's ebook "120deg/140deg Swashplate Setup and Leveling"...
During the book he mentions that the Blade 400 was one of the few heli's whose swashplate lowered/"went down" when you increased the collective/throttle stick! Well so does the Blade SR, and I pulled my hair out trying to setup my pitch curve at the end of his book! I got help from my HobbyTown Heli Guru and what we came up with works very well. The easiest way to give you the info is to attach a copy of my setup sheet, so you can compare notes if you'd like? I really hope this helps...
Setup Sheet0001.jpg

Setup Sheet0001.jpg

hi just one more thing when I put my right stick into a full positive pitch my swash plate goes down.? is this correct.?

Hey Walt, that heli sounds all wrong to me.. Full positive(up) on right stick should tilt the swash forward, and down should tilt it backward...

Left stick throttle(collective) push up and swash should go down, and down the swash will go up...

I suggest you grab hold of the blade 400 manual and read it right through..

PLEASE take precautions if your playing around with your heli. REMOVE 2 of the motor wires before you connect battery.

Follow the manual mate

Forgot about mode 2.........!!

Last edited:

walt2014

yes its a mode 2 and on my blade pitch is off after setting every thing to the manual ,all rods set as per manual specs , after doing all the setting why are my blade pitch still off

- - - Updated - - -

yes all is ok on my mode 2 settings with the stick left stick full forward swash plate goes down and pulling down on it will make the swash plate go up right stick all ok . left stick push forward tilts blades forward pull back down tilts blade back move to left blade moves to lift and right moves blade right . just don't understand why my blade pitch is off after setting up every thing my my manual ,

- - - Updated - - -

thank you helibaby1527 I will look in to it and let you know.

walt2014

hi helibaby1527
after going over your settings and putting them in my dx6i here is the pitch
blade 1 0 pitch at 0 pitch with left stick set at mid pitch
put the left stick full forward I get a pitch of +1.5 pulling the left stick all the way down gives me a -5 pitch
blade 2 0 pitch at 0 pitch with left stick set at mid pitch
left stick set full forward pitch is + 4 with the stick pulled all the way back my pick is - 1.5

Not sure I can be much help, I had a blade 450 3d, and I do know one generally works from the bottom up..

I always disconnect 2 wires on motor first..
Zero all subtrims in tx
Make sure you have 0-100 linear curve on pitch. I use stunt mode for that..
With throttle at MID stick (50%) no throttle hold on
Starting at servos, make sure the horns are 90 to the link arms. Use subtrims to 90 each servo
Make sure swash is level
Up to washout arms, make sure they are both absolutely level.
Then check the flybar cradle is level
At this point if all is perfectly level then check pitch of blades against the flybar

Last edited:

walt2014

ok thanks ,done all that. one more thing do I have to rebind every time a change the setting in my transmitter?

Hey Walt, Sorry for taking so long to get back to you! Zero pitch at mid stick is a great start...Looks like Blackwarrior has got you back on tract with a very similar heli. You won't need to do an "initial bind" (meaning: turn on heli first, then transmitter with trainer switch forward) just "normal bind" (meaning: with DX6i on first...wait, then connect heli battery).
I hope I have been a help...hang in there, there's a lot of people on here who will bend over backwards to help!

All the best,
Terry Branch
"HeliBaby1527"
Va. Beach, VA

Hey Walt,
If you're still having trouble...check out the Sticky Thread Starter by Tony on 12-05-2012 entitled "Setting Proper Blade Pitch" in this Forum (Beginner Help). It's really good and easy to follow! Or check out the ebook I mentioned in my previous post to you...

Happy Flying!
HeliBaby1527
Terry

walt2014

thank you for all your help, update well after burning by esc 25 amp, by hooking up the power wrong, I had to wait till the new one came in which is a 35 amp esc, I just could not come to terms with having a li-po which had a higher amp out put than 25amp which did not add up when my battery put out 33amp, any way I am back to my blade pitch, which I am glad to say I got it 0 pitch on both blades then had some fun adjusting for my 10+ and 10 - but I got it still have not had any flying time yet, I did try once and had to reset the tail blade due to it slow moving to the right, with the tail facing me, and when I spooled up just passed mid stick my helicopter tried to lay over to the left, but now ,I will try and fly today,
fyi the blade 400 swash plate move down when you give full throttle , lol stick moving all the way forward as per manual.
I re- set all my setting as per horizon hobby for first time flyer's.

Tony

Staff member
Remember, the battery doesn't push power, it pushes voltage. The motor draws the power. So you can have a 150a rated battery on a 10a ESC and it won't hurt it unless your motor is drawing over 10a. Just something to remember.

murankar

Staff member
My battery supplies about 77 amps and my esc is rated at 50 amps. My motor is rated at 45 amps continuous. So a bigger battery should not be an issue.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

walt2014

had to reverse my gyro now its stop spinning ,but when I spool up it lifts and act like its going to lay over to the right, any help on whats going on would be nice, or is it just me not wanting to crash it lol , spooling up the landing skid gets light and then the lift side lift off befor the right side skid, that's why I am thinking it will lay over.

had to reverse my gyro now its stop spinning ,but when I spool up it lifts and act like its going to lay over to the right, any help on whats going on would be nice, or is it just me not wanting to crash it lol , spooling up the landing skid gets light and then the lift side lift off befor the right side skid, that's why I am thinking it will lay over.

Hi Walt, are you sure the swash is perfectly level at mid stick mate and you have no trims set, either could cause your current problem. I do recall a time I was carrying my tx and didn't realise I inadvertently pressed the aileron trim a few times, then on spool up I had the same prob as you.... Banking to left on mine before lift off.. Took me ages to discover what I had done... I know it's scaring when it doesn't lift straight up...lol

That's about all I can give mate, just a novice myself...

Top Bottom