General Blade 120 SR or NOT??

bmandery

Ok, so I just ordered a DX6i. Now I need to get a helicopter, a BNF. I have been looking at the Blade 120 SR. Would this be a good move from a 4ch CX type? Or should I skip the FP all together and go right to CP? I have read good and bad reviews about this unit. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

stokke

If you manage a 4CH, and I mean MANAGE - you can go with a 450 as well.
Also, get a simulator :D

Tony

Staff member
It all depends on your space that you have to fly. If it's small, get the mSRx. If it's a decent size place, get the 120sr. I would highly suggest going to a fixed pitch heli if coax is the only thing you have flown up to now. Collective pitch are very hard to fly and fixed pitch will give you some idea of what you are getting yourself into lol. I jumped right in to collective pitch and it bit me in the ass, hard lmao. Then I got my mSR and learned what I should have done in the beginning. I love and miss my old mSR...

bmandery

Thanks for the advice here guys. Never tought about the NANO. I will let you all know what I end up going with.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Nano is a great bird..More studier than the mcpx.. but smaller too.. so its your choice.. :) smaller it is.. faster it gets away.. bigger moves more slowly or gracefuly through the air. :)

bmandery

Well I had the 120sr and the nano in my cart, but decided to just go with the 120sr and a simulator. I figured if I can't do 3d moves yet, why get a heli that can. So I will fly with the 120sr for now and learn 3d on the simulator. I am guessing the 120 won't be that hard to fly after I run through a couple charges on the batts.... I don't have a problem with orientation. I did for a bit when the heli was sideways. Then used a mind trick to help that, which was. If the nose if facing right, right stick will bring it to me, if the nose is left, left stick will bring it to me. Once I figured that out, it was easy sailing from there.

Thanks again for the suggestions..
Brad

murankar

Staff member
The size of the bird would make it more tempting to try. Once you get orientation down you'll want to do it.

Learning inverted orientation on a smaller bird equals cheaper parts and less parts too.

I won't even attempt inverted on my new kit but if I had a smaller bird I would.

zenmetsu

Bigger birds are more forgiving of input errors due to inertial mass. My T-rex 250 has a mass of 369g, while my T-rex 500 has a mass of 1874g. With five times the mass, the reaction time will be one fifth that of the 250. In other words, my reaction time has to be 5 times faster to fly the 250 correctly.

This also assumes approximately the same thrust-to-weight ratios and the same magnitude of cyclic and pitch throw. As far as dealing with turbulence and other sources of external force, i.e. not transmitter input, the 5X ratio is spot on. This is somewhat negated, however, if you have a 3-axis gyro like the smaller CP helis have, but they will still be much twitchier and will easily piro fast enough to become a blur. I found this out when I lost my tail on my 250, lol.

The upshot of low inertial mass, however, is that crashes are much cheaper. There simply isn't enough momentum while doing simple hovering and slow forward flight in a smaller bird to do anything serious like break the frame, etc. Put a 600 into the ground with enough force, and you are likely to trash just about everything on the airframe.

The 120sr does seem to be a nice bird. It is much more stable than my 250 in the simulator that I use, but I believe that is due to the 3-axis gyro. What Tony said is true though, fixed pitch would be the next logical step, but going right to CP is not out of the question. My first heli was a CP, and I learned the hard way. But we're all in it for the challenge, right? :)

BOKI

bmandery; I have the 120sr it can be pretty quick & small so you need more room to fly it if your just learning! The msrx is smaller but quick & it can crash more with little or no damage ! & I also have a Trex 450 Se V2 bigger & really quick little more stable & more expensive if you crash while learning! So they are all nice helicopters & the best of luck learning! :lol: :twothumbsup:

Lee

Well I had the 120sr and the nano in my cart, but decided to just go with the 120sr and a simulator. I figured if I can't do 3d moves yet, why get a heli that can. So I will fly with the 120sr for now and learn 3d on the simulator. I am guessing the 120 won't be that hard to fly after I run through a couple charges on the batts.... I don't have a problem with orientation. I did for a bit when the heli was sideways. Then used a mind trick to help that, which was. If the nose if facing right, right stick will bring it to me, if the nose is left, left stick will bring it to me. Once I figured that out, it was easy sailing from there.

Thanks again for the suggestions..
Brad

Hi Brad,
The 120SR is a great hell and you will learn a lot about orientation with it. The reason i suggested the Nano is, because of what you state in your post "I'm guessing the 120 won't be that hard to fly after a couple of batteries" If you are the sort of person that picks things up quickly, it means you will grow out of it quickly and want more of a challenge.
A CP heli isn't all about 3D. It allows you to fly in stronger winds, even with such a small heli as the nano. And once you have got the orientation and circuits dialled, you'll want to start rolls and loops. Which ever heli you get, you'll have fun.
Cheers Lee

zenmetsu

Exactly what Lee said. Co-axials don't have enough cyclic authority to deal with winds... but they are still fun to fly indoors and good for teaching orientation.

bmandery

I see what you are saying Lee and that makes perfect sense. I guess I didn't look at it that way... I live on a acerage and have plenty of room to fly outside. Inside will be an issue with bigger helicopters. But in the town I live in the City Auditorium is public access and that is basically a big basketball court. I was only looking at a CP from the acrobatics stand point. One reason I am trying to ladder climb my way up is because 4 years ago a co-worker purchased a Walkera FP just because. Every time it was in the air it was wrecked with in 2 minutes. He ended up throwing it away because he never took the time to learn how to fly and was tired of fixing it. I just don't want to go through that as well. Granted I started with a 3ch, then to the 4ch CX. Starting with a 3ch wasn't a bad choice, but if I had to do it all over again, I would skip that. Not that it was a total waste, it did teach some skills, and that was not to PANIC when things get hairy and that fine motor control is a must, which could have all been learned on the 4ch. The 120sr will be here Monday. Can't wait. :)

Tony cetainly told the truth on his YouTube videos that every here is very helpful, and that certainly means alot to a noob. Thanks again guys for all the input.

Brad

Tony

Staff member
Exactly what Lee said. Co-axials don't have enough cyclic authority to deal with winds... but they are still fun to fly indoors and good for teaching orientation.

Actually no FP will handle wind that well because there is a constant pitch on the blades. It's like a nice rotating wall that the wind can push around quite easily. Whereas with a CP heli, you can adjust the pitch adn there is a LOT more head speed to make the heli more stable and the path that the blades take through the air is much smaller. Hope that makes sense.

zenmetsu

Actually, it does make sense. I never owned a fixed pitch, so i've never looked into how they actually work. Does the whole main shaft get tilted for cyclic control?

Tony

Staff member
The cyclic is the exact same as a CP heli, you just don't have any pitch control other than throttle.

Eflite-Blade-mSR-Helicopter-Rotor-Head-Closeup.jpg

Eflite-Blade-mSR-Helicopter-Rotor-Head-Closeup.jpg

zenmetsu

Ahh, so "fixed pitch" is a bit of a misnomer. The cyclic input does result in pitch variation of the blades, even if independent changes to blade pitch are not made. Thanks for clearing that up.

Tony

Staff member
That is exactly right. Both of the blades are actually locked together and when one gains pitch, the other loses pitch resulting in a cyclic response. Just talking about this makes me want to get another one lol.

Lee

You'll get bored quickly Tony. Save your pennies and get the 130X You know you want to :D

Top Bottom