General Blade 120 SR or NOT??

zenmetsu

My brother in Florida has a 120SR, so I will be taking my 250 and my 500 out there in a few weeks when I visit for the holidays. He's never flown CP helis, so I expect a few mishaps. :) Tempted to let him start off on my 500, but that could get expensive really fast. I might have to get a training gear for him. The 250 is just too fast now with the new motor. :evil:

xokia

As others have said it really depends on how fast you pick things up. I've never flown any helicopters before and my first one was an Align 450 DFC 3gx. I was able to just hover and fly around tail in at first. Then I picked up a mcpx. It's the smartest purchase I have made by far. It's a lot tougher then it looks. A simulator is nice but just doesn't model real world flight characteristics that well. I like to think of the mcpx as my flight simulator. I've only been into this hobby for about 3 months now. I can fly around nose in, nose out, flips, rolls, and inverted. I'm still working on the inverted flight.

The CP has a steaper learning curve. But I like the additional challenge.

- - - Updated - - -

I want to pick up a blade 130x next I think.

Derek

Here pretty soon, I have got to get a smaller heli...whether it be a 120 sr, MCPx, or the Nano...something. I'm hoping that I can get the smaller heli flying around and get over the fear that I have of crashing my 500. I do well at hovering tail in. I do pretty well at both left and right in, but i haven't been brave enough to try nose in yet. i can fly my 500 around but I start to shake uncontrollably and then I have to set it down and collect myself, lol....then try again.

BOKI

I have a 120sr & I never had any trouble doing nose in ! Just make a left or right turn slow & bring her back slow! You can always pick up speed later! They are a zippy little bird though! The Best flying it !Safe flying & have fun! The Best! :lol: :twothumbsup:

xokia

Here pretty soon, I have got to get a smaller heli...whether it be a 120 sr, MCPx, or the Nano...something. I'm hoping that I can get the smaller heli flying around and get over the fear that I have of crashing my 500. I do well at hovering tail in. I do pretty well at both left and right in, but i haven't been brave enough to try nose in yet. i can fly my 500 around but I start to shake uncontrollably and then I have to set it down and collect myself, lol....then try again.

Get the mcpx the only downside is it flies a lot slower then a 500. Flying my 450 there is still the additional fear factor to get over. But the mcpx is great at learning orientation. If you fly over grass most of the time you can just pick it up and fly again. My next move will to probably get the 130x.

Lee

I have the MCPX. But i think as a stock bird, the Nano is a better bet. I almost decide to sell my MCPX, but today after a little over haul were i hard wired all the cables to the circuit board, i took it out and put 5 batteries through it. I'm in love again. :D

BOKI

xokia; The 130x is a pretty fast little helicopter ! A friend of mine told me not to buy it because it was to fast for my experience level ! But go with what the guy's on the site here tell you they are experienced! :twothumbsup:

xokia

Well the extra speed is what I'm hoping for. The mcpx is to slow in stock form IMO. It's what I picked up real quickly when I switched over to my 450. The 450 responds way faster and my reaction times were used to the mcpx. I've did the hole upgrade route with RC trucks and it just turns into a money pit. Most of the time stock is best IMO. So instead of converting te mcpx to brushless I picked up the 130x. The mcpx will remain my I door heli. I still think its a lot of fun

BOKI

xokia; Extra speed you will get for sure with the 130x! A friend of mine fly's Synergy & practices 3D before airshows because its fast & he can do all his 3D & maybe not make any mistakes in the airshow! Then he fly's his Synergy for practice on his new 3D stunts! But you have to decide what you want to do! :twothumbsup:

Last edited:

xokia

The mCP-X is unresponsive? Come on down to Oklahoma and grab ahold of mine lmao.
I dont think its unresponsive, but it is kinda slow in stock form compared to the big birds. I think brushless like you have is probably the way to go.
But I did all that upgrade stuff with my HPI Savage and had around $2k into that truck. Once you upgrade you have to keep upgrading to fox all the weak links. I just recently spent another $450 to convert it to brushless :( so that saga continues. So I have been down this route before and I kinda learned stock is usually best IMO. So instead of spending the money to upgrade the mcpx to where it should be I just bought the 130x.

Maybe horizon hobby will introduce a brushless version of the mcpx this year and I'll revisit that then. For now I am really liking the 130x.

- - - Updated - - -

Will the extended stock tail hold up to the C05 brushless motor? My motor on my mcpx I think might be dieing since every once in a while on a flip it will trip the current protection and shut down. So if I have to replace the stock motor I just might swing the brushless.

Tony

Staff member
Horizon will never go brushless on the mcpx, not this design anyway. You did what I would have done if the 130x was available when I got my mcpx. don't get me wrong, the mcpx is a great heli, but the 130 is slightly larger, seems from what I hhave heard is much more stable and fun. and the TT tail is the way to go.

And you will either want to upgrade to a 120sr tail motor and blade, do the dual tail mod or go brushless if you want to put the C05 in it. As you stated though, stock is the way to go. If you want more power, get a bigger bird.

xokia

Horizon will never go brushless on the mcpx, not this design anyway. You did what I would have done if the 130x was available when I got my mcpx. don't get me wrong, the mcpx is a great heli, but the 130 is slightly larger, seems from what I hhave heard is much more stable and fun. and the TT tail is the way to go.

And you will either want to upgrade to a 120sr tail motor and blade, do the dual tail mod or go brushless if you want to put the C05 in it. As you stated though, stock is the way to go. If you want more power, get a bigger bird.
The 130x is much better then the mcpx. A bit more of a pain to repair though. Flies just like the bigger helicopters. I flew in really gusty wind today and the 130x handled it with no problem. And not having the tail blow out was great!!

So if I replace my mcpx motor I will stick with the stock motor than. Thanks for the info!!

Lee

To make the MCPX i better flying bird, all you need is the Brushless motor/esc and i use the 7mm tail motor and mount. I have the CO5M which doesn't give you that much more power than stock, just more consistent and you don't have to replace it every 100 flights or so like stock.
I have a new CO5M motor if you ever decide to change it.

xokia

To make the MCPX i better flying bird, all you need is the Brushless motor/esc and i use the 7mm tail motor and mount. I have the CO5M which doesn't give you that much more power than stock, just more consistent and you don't have to replace it every 100 flights or so like stock.
I have a new CO5M motor if you ever decide to change it.
We are kinda driving this thread off topic. But what is the 7mm tail motor? I know HH released a newer tail which is longer and solid instead of hollow. Are you refering to something else? The not much more power then stock is what I was looking for. Stock the thing will put marks in sheet rock and I want to be able to continue to fly it indoors without the wife killing me :)

Microbus

I have a 120SR and my indoor flying space is fairly small so I really have to try and keep it under control. One thing I can say for sure is it really hurts when you fly it into yourself lol! I like it for working on my orientations though because it's not as fast as my mSRX or my Nano. A lot of times I panic when I get my little birds out of control and just have to kill the throttle, whereas, I can usally recover my 120.

BOKI

I have a 120sr & just love it & it seems to dip it's nose a bit at times other than that it's a nice helicopter!

Kamper

I have been flying the 120 SR w/ a DX7s TX for quite awhile and really enjoy the experience. I started with a Blade CX2 RTF and really had alot of control issues, ended up having a catastrophic crash, I then bought the 120SR BNF.

The 120SR is much easier to flying than the CX2, less body on the 120SR makes outdoor flight more controllable. The dual rotors of the CX2 are a P-I-T-A, IMHO. The CX2 will give you first and secondary crash damage, first when you hit the ground, secondary when the rotors get into each other. After crashes with the CX2 I was always adjusting the pots trying the get better control, it seemed after crashes the trim adjustment was always more than what I could do on the transmitter. The 120SR with the single rotor makes it much easier to trim and maintain. I will add that flying in minimal wind is the best, the more wind the more I struggle. I fly in Arizona only and there are few days we really have enough wind that I can't fly. As a rule an hour after sunrise,(cooler and calm thermals) and a hour before sunset is awesome for flying. I have enough time on my 120SR that I have had to replace the main motor once because the bushings got to be so rough.

The FP has been a good place to start for me, I have recently upgraded to a Align 450 but also considered the newer Blade 130X and will let you know if this has been a good move or not. I run a Macbook Pro and found the AeroFly Simulator works very well with my DX7s transmitter. Sims are a good idea, I fought myself for awhile to buy one, but I think they will save you crashes in the long run, also gives me some means to get some flying experience when it is not possible back in Wyoming (working and too much wind).

I hope this info helps..

Just my $0.02

Ken-

Top Bottom