Micro Belted tail blow out SR

trainrider06

I know this is an old bird, but I dearly love my SR's....I have two of them, one is motor driven, flies just fine, have it dialed in nicely...
The other I put a belt kit on it. At first it flew great, until I came in nose in one day had a little right side tilt, caught the blades and
promptly busted my tail servo, bent tail boom, and of course a blade grip.....anyway, after getting it back together, now it blows out
the tail upon any throttle increase, the severity of it depends on how rapid it blows out (tail blows out to the right, looking at the back
of the heli) I use a DX6i tx on both helis. gyro gain sittings are around 60-65 HH and around 30 on rate. I cannot raise settings much higher
because I'll get tail jitters. Also this is in normal mode....I've tried idle up and had to switch back quickly and wrestle the heli back into shape
when I did. I started messing with sub trim a bit and that seemed to help some...
I'm lost as to where to proceed. Also servo pitch slider about as dead on as they can be....
Rodney

trainrider06

Have you checked the tail servo operation with the link arm disconnected?

Yes sir, it's a Futaba s3157, checked it with a servo tester first, and centered it.
I've tried 3 different servos, gyro's all same results..
Two gy48, 1 401 Futaba, and the stock 110 gyro..
I know there is something simple I've missed in
the setup....3 gyros, 3 servos can't be bad...

Derek

It sounds to me like you have something bent and you haven't noticed it or something else mechanical is wrong.

are you certain that the tail belt is twisted properly from the tail rotor to the frame?

are you certain that the tail blades on installed properly?

This tail conversion kit, did you get it from "freestyle hobbies" out of Australia?

trainrider06

Yes it's a freestyle kit, I am thinking it must be mechanical because
it flew perfect until I had my mishap.
Has a new tail boom everything turns as
it should servo cannot get any deader than 90
Pitch on blades centered it flies nice even can
take my left hand off stick and hovers nice, but as soon as
Throttle input comes on there the tail will start scooting right..

Derek

would it be possible for you to safely take a video of your troubles and share it with us?

trainrider06

I guess I can, I'll have to get the wife to film it or I guess I can prop
phone on something....am at work right now, but I'll try and do it tonight.
And get it put up by morning....would I post that video
Here or in the video section???
I just thought of something too, but I've checked for wear and seems to
be none....I did replace tail boom with an 8 mm
Knitting needle....wonder if that is rubbing or something
Doesn't seem like it though...

Derek

A bit of video might help us to see what's going on. Perhaps give us an explanation of what the troubles are, what you've done to attempt to fix the troubles, then spin the helicopter up and we'll see what happens. Since your video will be directly about your helicopter, you can surely post the video in this thread.

trainrider06

Ok thanks so much I'll be off here a while and get a detailed post of settings and such
and see about getting a video up...I gotta figure out how to post one lol
I'll have something up tomorrow for sure...gotta get back to work here...
Rodney

Derek

No problem, Rodney! We are here to help!

The easiest way to post a video, here in your thread, would be to post the video to Youtube and then copy and paste the URL to your video here in your thread.

trainrider06

Ok, I went to video this thing, and for whatever reason the tail just takes a hard hard right on me while in hover, never did that before. I could not even get the thing
off the ground for barely a minute.....tail would sweep around so hard it was like it had a mind of its own! I have no idea what happened but before it would hover nicely,
just would not hold the tail upon any sort of throttle up.....give it a little throttle, and it would flick out a bit, but I could right it with just a bit of stick. Give it a little pop!
It would swing around pretty hard to where I was looking not from the back anymore, but at its left side. So frustration kicked in powered it off, took it to the bench, and
am now in the process of taking it back to a motored tail.....so problem solved! Not really, this is unfinished business! But I am just tired of not being able to fly it like I do
The other one! I do have one more question though. right now it still has the GY48 gyro on it....I'll still be able to use this correct? I just don't wanna scrape all the sticky
stuff off it again.....lol

Derek

Are you certain that your "gyro correction direction" is correct? It almost sounds to me that the Gyro needs reversed.

If you do decide to go back to the motored tail, yes, that gyro will still work.

trainrider06

Are you certain that your "gyro correction direction" is correct? It almost sounds to me that the Gyro needs reversed.

If you do decide to go back to the motored tail, yes, that gyro will still work.
Hi, oh I have enough spare parts to probably build another heli, and just might
At some point, but I have messed with this thing for weeks now
and I am just fed up with it.
If the gyro had been reversed, how would it have flown in the first
place though? Because it would fly, hover abet, constant stick corrections.
Then last night, it started flying like it was in rate mode, it would
swing hard left, I'd correct it, then it would swing hard right...
I think the heli was mad at me for crashing it before...lol
Or it needed an exorcism....lol

murankar

Staff member
If I am following correctly you just converted to belt correct? This was a motor driven tail right?

With this conversion did you by chance reverse the tail rotation direction? It should rotate counter clockwise. Its possible the belt may not have the correct 1/4 twist it needs.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

trainrider06

I've had the belt on there for a while, when I first
installed it, it flew great, had a little mishap bent tail boom,
put it back together again, it would hover with little or no
Left stick input, then when I tried to pop it the tail would
blow out to the right looking at the tail, tried getting settings
gains adjusted, wouldn't hold, just kept getting worse and worse.

murankar

Staff member
Something mechanical is messed up. If your belt is installed correctly, gyro is setup right and the servo is working as it should then I have only one last thing to check. Is the pitch slider is installed backwards or setup reversed.

If your tail blades are leading edge control then you current setup is trailing edge or vise versa.

trainrider06

Something mechanical is messed up. If your belt is installed correctly, gyro is setup right and the servo is working as it should then I have only one last thing to check. Is the pitch slider is installed backwards or setup reversed.

If your tail blades are leading edge control then you current setup is trailing edge or vise versa.

Yes they are tail led connection type blade holders.
My tail slider actually moves in opposite way than
The forward link blade grips do...believe me that threw
me for a loop when I first set it up! That's the only
way I got it to fly anyway, and it works...stick right
nose right is what it does...other wise I was having to
Fly the tail with gyro reversed to where the pitch slider went left and nose
Right....I had to go left with the stick to make it go right.

murankar

Staff member
Okay when it was setup the other way did you by chance try reversing the channel in the TX? That should have fixed that issue.

trainrider06

Okay when it was setup the other way did you by chance try reversing the channel in the TX? That should have fixed that issue.

Yes, I sure did! But something funky was wrong with it....
I can't remember what it was....that was a month or
so ago....so forgive my memory. But I switched it
back to where it flew with the slider going opposite direction.

My mistake was I didn't realize the grub screw had come loose
and allow the blade holder to move back and forth
across the shaft, was the reason for my little fender bender
in the first place....after I put it back together, I still missed
this, and couldn't figure out why it was spinning on me.
I messed with the settings so much trying to adjust it, I got them all
outta whack from original, when it flew nice...
Only later to realize my tail holder was loose from the shaft...
That's when my problems began with this thing
kicking out on me...

Top Bottom