Projects been thinking on this for some time now!

Tony

Staff member
I have thought about it. It would take a while to machine all of the blocks and getting the transmissions to work correctly. But I have definitely thought about it.

Tony

Staff member
Sorry Lee, even though that one is cool, it's not correct to scale. The front main shaft is angled forward compared to the rear. When the heli is on the pad, the rear blades will be horizontal and level and the front blades will be angled forward. When it comes to these helis, I'm all about the details. I have done everything but talk to the mechanics that actually work on the real thing to get some specs that I don't know if they can give out or not.

murankar

Staff member
Yeah plus it will be missing that rotor flap that the 46 has.

Get all that put into it then it on like donkey Kong.

Tony

Staff member
Lets just say screw it and build a 1/4 scale model of it.... Anyone have a CNC machine I can use? :chuckles:

Lee

Two. My neighbour has one and a friend down the road who designs surfboard fins.

murankar

Staff member
I got one in my back pocket. I am on my way. We may need a spray gun for the paint job.

I wish I did have one for this. It would be a great project.

Tony

Staff member
Oh, I have paint guns (yes, plural). I'm a mechanic / paint & body guy, or I was until I got into truck driving and then law enforcement. And I work at an army base, and you are in the army, so getting the correct colors is not a problem lmao.

murankar

Staff member
The real deal is the best. I would love to see an accurate rc version. The hardest part is the front rotor tilt. I think that would put a high level of wear and tear on the bearing blocks.

I am not sure how the servos would work. Would you use to full sets and then connect the two ail with a y harness then the pitch to pitch then elev to elev.

Tony

Staff member
Actually the front pitch would not be that hard to accomplish. It's just a simple U-Joint connection. I have it pictured in my mind, I just can't explain it.

As for how to make it work, remember the Chinook does not have a rudder. It works in the same manner as a coax. But in this case the blades are separated. Needless to say, I would NEED the DX18 to do all of the mixing that this heli would require. aileron would tilt both rotors left and right. Elevator would add collective to the front with back, and to the back for forward. Rudder is where it gets fun. Left rudder would give left aileron to the front rotor and right aileron to the rear rotor. And collective would be up and down to both.

As you can see, there will be a total of at least 6 servos on this bird just to control the flight. Not to mention everything else that you would need. It can be done, there would just be a lot of planning to make it happen. It does have my brain in overdrive though lol.

murankar

Staff member
That would take some mixing from heck to get it to work.

Think of how a 3gx or beastx would get setup. My god the confusion. I really don't want to say this because we all have said it at some point, if I had a limitless amount of money. This could be a great project to tackle.

callsign4223

Staff member
For rudder couldn't you just speed up one rotor or the other? If you were running them off of a single motor, you could install a device similar to a car differential and have a braking system on the output shafts. Applying a light braking force to one shaft would increase the speed of the opposite shaft, thereby giving you one rotor turning at a higher rpm. I wouldn't think it would take a lot of speed differential to get a decent yaw rate, your not looking for lightning fast piros in this thing anyway.

Just my small thought on this very interesting brainstorm.

murankar

Staff member
Thats what makes it interesting. Adding the main rotor components from two helis and making it work. You probably could do one motor but I think you might want two. Well that just shot flight times, unless this thing had the room and ability to lift that much weight.

Top Bottom