Batteries Battery Calculations, Definitions and Disposal

Heliman450

Hi all, as part of my research into the battery side of the hobby, I've picked up lots of stuff on the subject. Many have great stuff, but one must trawl around to find all aspects. I've tried to create a 'one-stop'' source and have put together an Excel spreadsheet (see attached pdf).

Also attached is a pdf I published some time back to explain safe disposal of LiPo batteries, which I've used myself a couple of times with no problems.

As always, please feedback comments and maybe I can modify the original to include them.

Bye now!

View attachment Battery Data.pdf

View attachment DISPOSAL OF LI PO BATTERIES.pdf

Tony

Staff member
That is fantastic information. However, it will not let me edit the blue boxes. Could just be my version of adobe reader though. I have programs to get around this lol. But fantastic information.

Heliman450

That is fantastic information. However, it will not let me edit the blue boxes. Could just be my version of adobe reader though. I have programs to get around this lol. But fantastic information.

Hi Tony, there's no intention of anyone making changes to the pdf as it's only my starter for discussion. Of course, I could put the Excel sheet up but I wanted it to be a finished article after feedback.

My question is how many multiples of 'C' are acceptable as a charge rate? Up to now I've stuck with 1C on my new charging system and it takes about 40mins for two 6S. Each channel is rated to 20 amps and 360 W according to the manual so I'm sure that more is OK.

Tony

Staff member
Ah okay. I was going by what the first box said with the blue and yellow colors.

As for charge rate, your battery manufacturer will tell you the max c charge rate. Most now days are going to be 2c, but some are as high as 5c charge rate. It just depends on the battery and who it's from. 1c is always a safe bet, but I have never found an issue with a 2c charge rate on any battery I own. I have some 6s 5000mah here now that I charge at 10a to 15a with no worries.

Smoggie

Good work Phil,

I'll feedback some comments later via PM if that's ok?

As for disposal.. I have a method that falls firmly into the 'DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME' category which involves a metal spike and a hammer :yikes: Joking aside, the 'hammer/spike' is actually not so crazy a method providing it's all done with suitable safety precautions and understanding the risks.

Heliman450

My puffy lipo's always get handed over at Home Depot, or Lowes hardware stores!

Great that you have a location for disposal and someone to do it for you. Over here I'd probably have to pay for that. As it is, I can do it and drop them off at the recycle depot. I once saw a chap at our flying club with an almost round battery, horrifying :warning:

murankar

Staff member
All I am saying is I have not shot my S&W M&P Shield or my Rugar SR40C for a while now and I have a few packs that could be disposed of. Not saying I will shoot them but then again I am not saying I wont either.

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I get rid of mine just like Rodney does, Lowes is about a mile away from me which comes in handy.

Heliman450

Hi all, so here's the spreadsheet attached.

To change the blue-coloured fields the password is: RCHELP

Tony, I'll send you the password for the spreadsheet per PM.

Hope it works ok :chickendance:

Oh no! It won't accept .xlsx files...................... over to you Tony.

Oooops! I forgot, Steve told me about zipping the invalid files. Apologies for my senior moment :waa:

View attachment Battery Data_01.zip

Last edited:
Top Bottom