450 AR7200BX Tail wagging

By the way I got email from another member's thread but not from you on this one. Is it because this is my thread?

did not see any bad gear on the tail housing but when I take apart the main gear I will check the gear for the tail there.

Tony

Staff member
Not sure on the email. I am looking into it though.

Usually when you hear grinding, it's a tail gear. Could be the auto gear under the main gear, or the main gear it's self. only one way to find out. As for the tail gears, look very closely. Those gears are very small and the slightest bit of damage can cause you to crash.

I took it all apart and inspected all gears, all looked good. But after inspecting the main blade I noticed it was split at the tip so I need to order new ones. Luckily I have a spare set. Also, glad I took it apart one of the feather-shaft screws was lose. I will have to test fly it maybe tomorrow, storm approaching, actually started to rain as I type.

Yes, it could had gone bad and you know the thing that I kick myself for is that I heard the a little voice saying bring the Tx close and my brain flashed the same scenario and I did not listened. I followed your advice and unplugged the motor which I have done in other occasion. Now I am ready for a test flight and see a perfect machine. I bet the backward tail had something to do with it.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, with that backwards tail blade, it will constantly be fighting to keep it straight. It's like holding a paddle in the water in a boat in front and trying to steer it. It's very hard to keep it centered after an input. But if you hold it in the rear, it will always want to center. Hope your next flight goes without a hitch!

Flew this morning and the heli flew nice but felt lighter than before maybe because I have different main blades or I did not set up something the same. Only have one battery, second one on its way so I fly for 5 min charge for and hour, oh well part of the hobby. Also have a second set of blade on their way. One thing I know when I had the 3Gx I was always apprehensive because it was unpredictable now I have the AR7200BX and I would never go back to 3Gx.

Tony

Staff member
Glad it's working out for ya! Now, we must have video proof that this helicopter is in the air!!!

leedude1

Gentleman,

Curiuos for 2 things
One: Do you lock tight your blade grip screws? Not used to this size heli and I've never done it in the past was wondering if with the lock nuts on main blades if it really required? None on the tail blades so my assumption there is Yes but please confirm.
Two: How tight do you set these blades, I think I'm comfortable and manual states the main blades should be fairly tight but movable. but the tail blades should they slop or use the same theory of firm and wont move unless I apply an outside force (I don't mean extreme here but basically stay wherever I put them until I spool up)

Still haven't been able to get the first hover in yet...raining today... ran her up in the basement before and I had to reverse the rudder on my tx as the gryo is moving in the tail blades in the right direction in my rudder set up pitch slider in opposite direction and trailing edge in the same direction however my stick inputs were pushing the tail in the wrong direction...

Thanks and maybe soon ill get that first hover in... ill report back once there.

V5.0 Seems pretty stable on the ground so far , up to 50% throttle just before the sweet spot...I may be a lucky one :wink:

Lee,

One - I do lock tight the tail blades. The main blade I do not since it has the lock nut.
two - The main blades are tight but movable. My tail blades are loses because they cannot tie snug.

murankar

Staff member
Blade tension on the mains is snug enough to let the blades drop 45° while in knife edge and jerked up and down briskly. Some run a tad tighter so the blades don't budge much under lower head speeds. If nylock nuts are used then no thread locker needed.

As for the tail blades. Mine are just tight enough to move to 45° when flicked. Again some run tighter and others run a bit more loose. Lock tight should be needed if no nylock nuts are used.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

leedude1

Good with that guys thanks will do.:thankyou:

Really looking forward to putting her up in the air shortly.. to windy today and I really want to see what she does (in terms of stability and etc) in the first few hovers...

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Once you get the AR dialed in, you should be a "Happy Camper!" Good luck on your flight and enjoy.

Tony

Staff member
That helicopter looks great in the air and great flying! :thumbsup:

And props to the wife (?) for the great camera action!

trainrider06

That heli looks good in the air! Great flying job! Man it looks like those power lines are real close! LOL
Nice job on the camera also!

Thanks, I am still don't fill comfortable for flips. I can do them all day in the sim but it does not cost when I crash. The camera, that was my 13 yrs old daughter.

Tony

Staff member
Your 13YO daughter? Wow, she did a fantastic job. Did her best to keep the helicopter in view, zoomed in when she could, and when she started to lose it (or you went too fast lol) she zoomed out. Tell her I said she did a fantastic job! I have a 13yo daughter as well, who doesn't really want to stand out there and film. lol.

trainrider06

Hehe yeah those orientations can be tricky upside down, but looks like your fine and dandy right side up!
As Tony said, that girl is a natural! She did a great job! My 15 year old son wishes he could film that good!
Well he probably don't care, but I wish he did! LOL

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey trainrider06, of course your 15 yrs old son probably doesn't care about filming. At his age, he's probably got women on his mind instead. Lol

jdfernan51, great job flying. Sims helps greatly but transferring your skills from sim to real life is different. To me, all the practice I did and learn on the sim is great but the real challenge is getting enough courage to just do it. I learn that a crash is a crash no mater how high or low you are. If your worry about crashing while attempting new maneuvers, 9 out of 10 times you will. If you just tell your self that i can do this on the sim so there's no reason i can't to do it real life, you have a better chance of success. I just went for it and surprise, I did. Now the odds are there to crash but if you don't worry about it, the odds are decreased. That's just mine opinion but good luck and just DO IT!

D.O.G, I hear you doing it for the first time is the hard part. In my mind I know I can do it and you are correct if I think I am going to crash it will happen.

trainrider06, when she get to be 15 years old I am sure I will be singing a different story but this time while I clean my shootgun and say good by to the boyfriend:wrongforum: sorry:duck:

Top Bottom