FBL Gyro Another one with Ikon Issues!

Westy

LEGEND
one thing to try take the elevator stick pull back on it then let it go on its own while you are in the air. If your cyclic is unstable that will usually cause it to oscillate

Great ..... so if It does Oscillate .... how much do I drop the Gain? I am guessing I will be going into advanced mode to do this? and do each function separately 2-3% at a time ... and then work on the AIL?

nano-techs I see people complain about them but its usually from people who by a 35C battery that should have purchased a 65C and then complain when it puffs. I have only rarely had a problem with nano-techs. The one problem I did have was a low cell. So one thing to do which I always forget to do is measure each individual cell BEFORE you charge them. If one is low don't think that charging it will fix it send it back. That cell may get "fixed" but will always be droopy.

I have not had any issues with my Nanotechs .... Unfortunately .... I only have 1 left and 2 badly operating Zippy's (will never order them again)........

My packs are two low in C rating to go hard on this bird .... as with 4KW at full power ... she eats batteries for breakfast!

If it's reading that high of number its more likely the person didnt set the poles and gear ratio up correctly in the tx menu

there was about 4 guys saying the exact same thing..... all set correctly .... all having the same issue... perhaps it was an air ware issue?

xokia

Yes 2-3% should be good do it in both directions if its stable the try flicking it while dropping in elevation. And you can do this in basic mode. It's the last menu in basic mode I think. Again make sure you are doing it for the correct bank.

For the RPM sensor I don't know I guess I'd have to see it. I don't know how you could get an in accurate reading because you won't get additional pulses. Maybe the transmitter gets in a state where it doesn't do the division and it defaults to the raw data? I think that's an issue with the TX not the TM1000 that my guess. The TM1000 sends raw data its up to the TX to translate that to head speed.

Last edited:

Lee

Glad you got it flying mate. Which tach app are you using? Mine seems quite accurate.

Westy

LEGEND
HELI TACH! .....

Not flying now ..... due to snapping off a ball joint (Threadlocked) during replacement of my servo arms ... I was not happy with the short 14.5mm ones ... as the angle under the swash plate was very acute.

So I went for these:

h50113_1y.jpg
h50113_3en.jpg

h50113_1y.jpg

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
HELI TACH! .....

Not flying now ..... due to snapping off a ball joint (Threadlocked) during replacement of my servo arms ... I was not happy with the short 14.5mm ones ... as the angle under the swash plate was very acute.

So I went for these:

h50113_1y.jpg
h50113_3en.jpg

h50113_1y.jpg

FYSA...Are you running HV servos? if so i wouldn't trust those plastics servo arms.. they are plastics right? I had them on my GOB and stripped them from just trying a tic-toc.

Westy

LEGEND
that is what I heard too! ..... it showed the I was only pulling 1584 RPM head speed .... I have not re done the new speed as can't fly at the moment due to thumb injury and I broke servo ball off when trying to get it off the servo arm.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Damm thumb..lol cant wait to see more vids. I have now got a wish list jar where all my spare change goes to fund my video cam. going to be slow due to the sequestration on Monday. Grrr! but hopefully get there soon. I too need to load some vids. Oh an Tony where do I go about getting some RCH stickers? or do I just get it locally and sport the site?

Westy

LEGEND
my you tube support group and my heli buddies over here that I help out .... got me the repair funds needed to get the Heli back together!

Westy

LEGEND
wow ..... I am reading heaps and heaps of people having issues with the IKON SL mode causing accidents and crashes all over the world... surely they are not toyota's are they?

As what point do they do a product recall?

and to top it all off ..... I go Just now to look at their website to see if there is someone I can spew too about all of this...and low and behold ... the pinnacle of reliability!

TTOOOOOO MUUUCCCHHHHH! (READ BELOW)
----------------
Server error
The website encountered an error while retrieving http://ikonflybarless.com/product_in...?products_id=1. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

pvolcko

They won't do a recall due to failing SL. It is an optional feature that the user has to specifically enable. Most they would do is add a warning to their software if trying to enable it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully it is something they can address in a firmware update, though.

xokia

The problem comes into play when SL is used as a rescue. If you switch it on and leave it on it works ok.

I don't think they will do a recall either. As a FBL controller it works great and should be purchased for the FBL controller only. I'd be much more upset if a purchased a skookum which has similar problems and is much more expensive.

I was happy to sell my Ikons it only cost me a $40 lesson. There is plenty of information out now though regarding the SL feature. So people should be making informed decisions now.

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
I did not buy it for an FBL controller.... I bought it for a bail out feature sepcifically.

I was on the understanding that it would work and when it shockingly did not, I was annoyed. I was not even doing anything but a stable hover.

Anyway. Ikon are going to implement some of my ideas.Got a few emails yesterday thanking me for Ideas I have posted on the forums. Their head developer has contacted me also and will be implimenting a few of them as soon as possible, so the new firmware upgrade will be partly my conceptual ideas.

see here

Ken Jackson

I did not buy it for an FBL controller.... I bought it for a bail out feature sepcifically.

I was on the understanding that it would work and when it shockingly did not, I was annoyed. I was not even doing anything but a stable hover.

Anyway. Ikon are going to implement some of my ideas.Got a few emails yesterday thanking me for Ideas I have posted on the forums. Their head developer has contacted me also and will be implimenting a few of them as soon as possible, so the new firmware upgrade will be partly my conceptual ideas.

see here

Westy,

Haven't had a chance to keep up with your IKon issues. Been too busy this week. Found out my new balanced blades from hobby king that came with my new 500 kit has one blade bent. That is why I couldn't get the blade tracking set. I went through the set up 3 times thinking I missed something. Its ready to fly now and until I solve the tail problem I'm not ready to checkout SL.

My problem is my tail is stable until I do a punch out or decrease in throttle. It looks like a belt drive tail the way it kicks out. Doesn't matter if I am in normal throttle or Idol up. It kicks out the same amount. Does anyone have any suggestions or possible causes. I am thinking about turning on the pitch precomp although its not really clear what it does.

I have set my gyro gains up higher then the recommended 45. The tail was wobbly until I raised it. I'd really love to fly my new helicopter but not with the tail kicking out like it is. Anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 turn. That's OK for normal flight but inverted or into a loop it does that crap I'm not going to be a happy camper.

Help anyone with an IKon!!!!
Ken

Does anyone have their IKon mounted on the tail boom gear box. Its the best spot but I was told it would create problems. I have mine mounted on the side of the heli. Maybe this is causing my tail problem???

Last edited:
Top Bottom