FBL Gyro Another one with Ikon Issues!

Westy

LEGEND
Grrrr this is getting not funny now ... had enough!

my new Goblin is giving me grief.....

I just do not know what to do with thie uselessl IKON now!... (I is probably me)

Reset the gyro to factory and started again after mucking about with the cyclic gains .... am in sport mode and it just will not stop oscillating badly too.....

I have tried lowing the tail gain heaps ... in increments of 5% and no change ... seems as soon as it starts ..... oscillating, it just keeps going and going. Makes no difference .... then for a few seconds it is like a dream. then it comes back.

What is going on????

Here is a Video I have just uploaded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXoMwwZaamY

Last edited:

Karubah

Could it be that when it hit the house it jarred the Ikon and thats causing the issues. I know you have already checked but could there be a vibration that you cant see causing this. Just a noobes thoughts

Westy

LEGEND
It was like it when I first set it up from scratch..... before the house incident ;)

I guess it could be vibration .... I return the settings back to standard start point again .... and try adding some more tape and give the cables a bit more room to move .... see if that works ... dark now ... so too late!

Last edited:

Karubah

Looking at the video it does not seem to oscillate until you move the elevator control. Could it be a servo causing this and the gyro is trying to compensate? Its just that I noticed it seemed to start when moving the heli in a forward direction. Just another thought could it be that the head speed needs bumping up a bit, might be worth a try. I read on another forum that that could be the trouble

Last edited:

Graham Lawrie

I had this with vibration on my 450 with the 3gx. It was coming via a tight wire. I had to re-route the way I had wired it to the gyro.

xokia

To much head gain makes it oscillate like that. I think ikon calls it cyclic gain turn it down.

Tony

Staff member
Looking at the video, that thing is not wagging, it's oscillating. If you look at the main shaft ,it's going in a circle. Try taking a zip tie and wrapping it around the gyro, or even a Velcro strap and see if that works.

Westy

LEGEND
Looking at the video it does not seem to oscillate until you move the elevator control. Could it be a servo causing this and the gyro is trying to compensate? Its just that I noticed it seemed to start when moving the heli in a forward direction. Just another thought could it be that the head speed needs bumping up a bit, might be worth a try. I read on another forum that that could be the trouble

Cheers.... was just getting that same info on the headspeed ... .been told to bump it up to 2200+

Seems to be in any direction .....

Tony

Staff member
Also to go with my above post, take the ikon apart and check to see if there is movement of any parts inside it. If you can that is. I know you can take the BX apart, not sure about the ikon.

Westy

LEGEND
I had this with vibration on my 450 with the 3gx. It was coming via a tight wire. I had to re-route the way I had wired it to the gyro.

yeah . I am gonna pull up the wiring and cut back all the nylon sheathing and see what happens as that does transfer a lot of vibration.

I will set all the other stuff back to standard (Settings and advanced settings, I have logged all the changes I have made so they can be reversed).

and go through the whole process again ...

I want to know what the cause was .... if I to everything .... it will not help me confirm the issue ... only that one of the things fixed it! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at the video, that thing is not wagging, it's oscillating. If you look at the main shaft ,it's going in a circle. Try taking a zip tie and wrapping it around the gyro, or even a Velcro strap and see if that works.

Cheers Tony..... I got told the Tail Gain or P gain in those Controllers ... does and can effect oscillation like that..... SHRUG..... who would know ;_)

the cyclic gain was not fixing it ... so I went down the tail path for a while

Lee

Thats cyclic gain for sure. My Warp did the same thing. Just reduce it like i said before by a few % and it should go away. Also i would maybe try a higher headspeed to check if its just too low and giving you the nodding dog.

Lee

Ok just watched the video again.
In the first post you say you're adjusting Tail gain by 5%, but in the video you say the cyclic gain. Which was it?
How do you have the radio set up to adjust cyclic gain? Is it changing anything in the unit? As it looks the same, what ever setting you changed, i would be checking that it is really changing something.
It still looks like a cyclic gain problem to me. If you increase the headspeed and the wobble gets faster then it 's 99% sure a gain issue. If it goes away then it was a headspeed issue.

xokia

Ok just watched the video again.
In the first post you say you're adjusting Tail gain by 5%, but in the video you say the cyclic gain. Which was it?
How do you have the radio set up to adjust cyclic gain? Is it changing anything in the unit? As it looks the same, what ever setting you changed, i would be checking that it is really changing something.
It still looks like a cyclic gain problem to me. If you increase the headspeed and the wobble gets faster then it 's 99% sure a gain issue. If it goes away then it was a headspeed issue.

Yup that's what I said a number a posts ago and agree its a cyclic gain issue. I don't recall the cyclic gain being adjustable via the remote. You have to go in and adjust via the pc if I remember how the ikon works correctly.

Lee

Before his maiden, we talked about it on Skype. I said to reduce the gain by 3% and that did the trick, which is why i think what ever he was adjusting in the radio, is not doing anything.
I never saw a way to adjust cyclic gain in the radio either :D

xokia

Sweet glad he got it sorted. In normal mode no one should have any issues with the ikon. It really is pretty vibration insensitive in normal mode. Any issues should point to setup problems. The ikon does fly really nice in normal mode. It's only SL mode where after doing the setup correctly I would suspect something like vibes messing up the ikon.

Lee

Its not sorted. This was before the crash :(
I will have my Warp back in the air in the next few days. I'm going to look closely at the SL and see how it reacts with mine.

xokia

Its not sorted. This was before the crash :(
I will have my Warp back in the air in the next few days. I'm going to look closely at the SL and see how it reacts with mine.
He crashed it? Dumb stick or wobble?
That wobble in the video is definately a cyclic gain problem.

I think you guys with the nicer heli's will have better luck with the SL feature. The downside is they don't include a vibration log in order to work the vibes out. On my 300x I would have had to spend so much money to get the vibes out that it was cheaper for me to buy the HC. And now I'm hooked lol!!!

Westy

LEGEND
Thats cyclic gain for sure. My Warp did the same thing. Just reduce it like i said before by a few % and it should go away. Also i would maybe try a higher headspeed to check if its just too low and giving you the nodding dog.

I had already adjusted the CYCLIC gain .... down from 39 to 27 and it made ZERO Difference at all (in a previous flight to the video). Should I have gone further? I wsa doing it in 3% lots and nothing ... so I basically went about 30% below what the setting origitnally was.

So after some more research and net trawling, was going on someone elses concept that excessive tail gain can cause the same issue. So that is what I was doing.

IN THE VIDEO......

I had set the 2 pos on the Gyro switch for 57% (which is the recommended software start point of 45%) and went POS 1 = 52 and POS 0 = 47..... no difference

Make sense? ..... then ..... when none of that worked .... I reset the gyro back to POS 2 (57%) and

I had another flight mode set up on my mix switch (IKON FLIGHT MODES) for the STD 600 setting which is 39 Cyclic gain .... and I had also copied the 500 class heli gain setting .... which is 34 CYCLIC gain.

I have had it all the way down to 27 and no change at all!

flight modes.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

someone has also said the Head speed is too low ..... so here is my plan of attack today! Fresh day .. fresh attack plan!

1. Check software settings again from scratch...... including max Cyclic range
2. Set Beginner setup in 2 flight modes,

• 1 with 39 (600 class standard Gain) ...... Cyclic gain
  • 2 with 36 Cyclic gain.

3. Remove all blades and re check spool up head rotation..... will video! ...... I was squeaky clean yesterday when I checked it before going out to re test fly

4. Put blades back on and confirm tracking is perfect

5. increase head speed to 2200RPM (THIS IS THE PRIMARY CAUSE ACCORDING TO OVERWHELMING RESPONSES I HAVE HAD - HEAD SPEED TOO LOW)....Everyone is saying that is the classic low head bob a goblin with demonstrate .... they are notorious for it apparently!

6. Fixed .... hopefully! .... if not......

7. Remove Controller off heli and re check wires are not tugging on the controller.

8. re assemble and retest

9. apply UP gel pad under the controller (ALIGN) an zip tie it down with insulators between the Controller and the tie to avoid vibe transfer.

That should keep me busy for a few hours!

I can see the controller is awesome as when it was holding ... the heli was almost totally stationary!

flight modes.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom