500 ALZRC Devil 420 FAST - build log

Smoggie

I understand the difference that the modified swash would make, but I would have thought that the difference that it made at the blades would be so minuscule that you would never notice it.
Yes, any difference is probably too small to notice. The 'upgrade' was more out of curiosity than any expectation that it would make a significant difference.

Smoggie

would the flight characteristics of the Devil 420 be the same as the Devil 505???

The D420 is quite a bit smaller and about half the weight of the D505, so the 505 will fly noticeably 'bigger'.. i.e. the larger heli will be smoother and more stable especially in the wind. But for a heli of it's size the D420 flies great.

Smoggie

That's a great deal.. Bear in mind though that you need a different power system to any '450' size heli, so if you have those parts left over from a 450 they arent going to work. The 380 uses 6S for starters but also it's bigger and heavier than any 450 and needs a bigger ESC and a larger motor with much lower Kv. The servos are the same as a 450 but you need decent quality servos in the 380.

Smoggie

I finally got around to installing the KST 'Contactless' servos in my D420. I've had these servos for a while but just never got around to fitting them because the regular KSTs seemed to be performing fine. These new contactless servos as well as using hall effect sensors rather than regular 'pots' have a lot more torque than the regular KSTs. They are a bit pricey but I got a deal on them from Banggood when I did the original build review for the 420
IMG_0361[1].JPG

I also fitted a HW 80A V4 ESC while I was at it, this is not really necessary to be honest, the 60A was doing perfectly ok, but i had another home in mind for the 60A. The 80A is a little heavier but that's not really a bad thing because it reduces nose weight requirement.
IMG_0363[1].JPG

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Nice going Smoggie. After watching your video I'm charging my 500 batteries so I can sneak a few evening flights :)

Top Bottom