600 Align trex 550pro dfc build

cml001

? I'm not using the talon 90, opted to use a 120hv... Haven't posted in awhile.. Still gotta get a fbl unit..

xokia

? I'm not using the talon 90, opted to use a 120hv... Haven't posted in awhile.. Still gotta get a fbl unit..
It's been a wile since I had the 730mx in there. Maybe I did have extensions on the motor wires. Is that what you are finding to be to short?

Merv49

Yes so I made up extensions and got everything working great now and placed where I want. Had a buddy fly it for me yesterday so I guess I put it together right. LOL Can't wait until I learn how to fly myself.

xokia

Yes so I made up extensions and got everything working great now and placed where I want. Had a buddy fly it for me yesterday so I guess I put it together right. LOL Can't wait until I learn how to fly myself.

Very cool how did you set your ESC up?
Here is how I had mine set ignore the 2900 part I have it set that way so it doesnt try and govern the speed it makes it like 100% throttle. I also moved idle up 1 to 2400 rpms.

550_esc_setting_zpsa9384fc2.gif

Last edited:

Merv49

Here is how I had mine set ignore the 2900 part I have it set that way so it doesnt try and govern the speed it makes it like 100% throttle. I also moved idle up 1 to 2400 rpms.

My friend here set my ESC for me using his numbers and they are just about what you have on yours. Thanks

Merv

- - - Updated - - -

My friend here set my ESC for me using his numbers and they are just about what you have on yours. Thanks

Merv

cml001

CC 120HV installed... Next up.. FBL unit!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The regulator is on the inside rear of the frame opposite the tail servo.. And rx pk on the outside of the right frame.. The ESC I was gonna put inside the frame.. But as big as this bird is, room isn't as roomy as I had imagined. Ended up under the battery tray. I used some fuel tubing between the aluminum tray & the ESC for cushion and it actually helps hold the ESC once the wire ties are snugged up. Anyone see issue with this set up before I make it permanent.. Suggestion are more than welcomed!

- - - Updated - - -

And I don't know y the pics rotated.. They just did.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

cml001

Why did I not finish this thread.. Prolly cause I did a poor job.. Anyway.. I did some rearranging. ESC went inside the frame... Regulator went on the outside.. I piggy backed the flight pack to the RX pack.. I'll take a couple shots of her in a sec and post them. Thanks to all the guys that helped me here.. Posts, phone calls, emails.. Thanks! I may not fly like Bert or Kenny or Matt.. But I can build a clean bird! She flys awesome.. A little more tweak'n as I get used to the iKon.. But she rocks.

cml001

My 450 crashed awhile back.. On that bird my ESC was under the tray.. It was a hard enough impact to bend the KDE battery tray.. Now the ESC was fine. But it didn't stick out past the tip of the tray.. This 550 on the other hand did hang out front off the bottom of the tray.. $230 ESC... I thought it better in the frame.. I do wish the motor was designed as a top mount on this bird.. That would have let me push the ESC a little further forward to help with CG.. But being I'm using a rx pack.. And have it hook & looped to the main pack.. Balance is good.

- - - Updated - - -

ESC actually sits right under the gear.. So it doesn't help or hurt the CG.

Dirk

That makes perfect sense. I'm considering moving the esc on my 700 from the back to the front to get the cg closer to the main shaft, but it means my esc will be vulnerable in case of a crash. I guess I'll just leave it there. Heli flies fine as is plus the esc sits in the main rotor downwash.

cml001

On the 700 I think it's got it's own platform right? I'd leave it if it's where I'm thinking it is. Rotor cooling it is a plus! Heat was the first thing I thought about when putting mine in the frame.. But on the 550.. The 120HV may be a bit of overkill.. But it doesn't get up to more than 145•... Need to check my logs again.. Think that's right.

cml001

155• - 164• were the max temps.. I think that's normal.. The auto gear acts as a fan too so.. I can hold a finger on it after flight.. I'm not sure what the average temp on a 120HV ESC should be.. But I think it's fine.

Dirk

I assume that temp is Fahrenheit? My 120HV in my 700 has never gone above 52 degrees Celsius. No 3D flying, but pretty aggressive sport flying.

Hey cml001, Wow that looks VERY overwhelming to a "Newbie" like me! But, you've done it before with your 450, right? You're probably done by now based on the posting date?

On a side note...What's the Blade SR tail mod you've got on your lab table? Looks interesting...

All the best,
Terry
"HeliBaby1527"
Va. beach, VA

cml001

I drop'd the tail motor and got a belt driven tail conversion kit from freestyle hobbies. Works pretty good.. I had a minor crash awhile back and haven't got it back in the air.. I need to work on it... But it did just fine before I smacked the ground with it.. Lol.. It never got to be a "3D" machine.. But it could do a little something.. Was my first collective machine.

Thanks, cml001...yes, I've heard of that conversion before, but never have seen one installed. My "tail" could use a little work on it too! lmao

All the best,
Terry
"HeliBaby1527"
Va. Beach, VA

Rico

Hi there cml.

Werry nice heli you build there, i like the red disk's and tail looks great.
i saw that you ask for cabel drag in your thread, i know it is too late now, but i tok some pic's of my 550E i will poste here :)

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

Greetings Rico

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg