600 Align trex 550pro dfc build

cml001

Fellas, I couldn't wait any longer... I've had this sitting in the lab now for weeks... Maybe over a month.. Sitting here on my day off after play'n round w my little 120SR I decided to open the box... So u know what that means... I'm gonna start put'n her together. Opened the head bag and cleaned off all the parts.. I'll do the assemblies so they are ready to go.. I am still banking for the ESC & FBL controller... Still undecided on the AR7200 or the iKon.. Anyway.. it'll be a good while for this to finish. Maybe seeing the bird in wait will somehow speed up the bank. Lol. Now this is my first "Big Bird" so as usual, I'll be seeking the help & advise from the pros here at RCH, first ? Being that due to the fact she is a big bird and will likely be user more strain & stress than that of my 450.. Should red loctite be used on any bolts? Spindle or jr's use bolts for example? I use loctite brand locker and have blue, red, & green from lowes. I know to use the green for bearing retention in their housings.. Possibly for the TT bearings, but I'll likely use ca. I'm gonna clean this head up one more time and begin... Red or blue?image.jpg

image.jpg

Derek

Someone may disagree with me, and that's ok, but I say that you should take that red locktite and just set it aside. That's "permanent" locktite. It's very very very difficult to get that lose once it's setup. For heli usage, just use the blue locktite. The blue stuff holds very well but if you need to remove screws later on, the blue stuff will also let you do so.

Red - Bad
Blue - Good

Very cool, keep posting pics of the build. I have an IKON on my 250 and I love how easy it is to set up plus the bailout systems seems pretty handy. Although I havnt tried it yet....

xokia

Someone may disagree with me, and that's ok, but I say that you should take that red locktite and just set it aside. That's "permanent" locktite. It's very very very difficult to get that lose once it's setup. For heli usage, just use the blue locktite. The blue stuff holds very well but if you need to remove screws later on, the blue stuff will also let you do so.

Red - Bad
Blue - Good

I agree 100% I go even further. I don't use blue loctice on small screws. I use pink Loctite which is low strength. I use red Loctite on things that should never come apart. Like the balls links on the swash. If you damage those you will likely be replacing the swash anyway.

danhampson

Good luck with the build.

i agree with derek about the red locktight.

Ive never flow BX but have brain/ikon on my protos its really easy to set up, i like the way it flies and the self level has saved my wallet a few time, in fact it has probably paid of itself.

cml001

Good to hear guys. Thanks... Outside smoke'n one and sanding the frames now... Head is done.. Didn't loctite the elevator ball or the bolts mounting the dfc arm... Usually have to tinker w those on programming. At least I did on the 450... Easier to connect to the ball and then screw in the bolt... Dfc thing I guess... But it's gonna see some progress today. Thanks again.
image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Whole lot of purdy on that table. And yes, do not use red on anything, only blue. Keep the pics (and video if you get any) coming!

cml001

Time for a break.. Caffeine & nicotine... Tony I would love to video this, but all I have is the iPhone and the web cam on my laptop... Which I guess would work.. I tried to get a time lapse video figured out about a week ago.. Didn't have the patience to figure it out... But I'll stop and snap a photo here & there. Here is the beginning of the frame.. Just dry fitting right now so I know what's what on the side of the manual that never gets printed.. If ya know what I'm say'n. I'll play with this for another hour then iv got a picnic dinner thing at the park w the family. Any suggestions or hey don't do that.. Please let me kno if u see them.

- - - Updated - - -

Think I'm gonna need a bigger desk/bench in the lab!

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
It's all good, just keep the pics coming at least. Looks like you are chugging along with it.

cml001

Well.. Time to start pack'n the truck for this evenings festivities.. So I'll stop here. Shifts start back in the morn so I won't get back on this till Friday at the earliest. So as posted I've got the head done up minus the programming items to come. I clean all the frame hardware and sanded the frame pieces. A dry fit of the frame and skids was also done. When I resume I wanna start wiring servos.. Just figuring placement of the routing so that maintaince will be easy. I probably go ahead and braid the servo wires to so that I can just leave them once I have it sorted. I will be running a rx pk and a regulator.. Gotta see where all that's gonna mount... Lots to do.. Suggestions are more than welcome. I'll keep posting updates as they come.
image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpgimage.jpg
This is gonna be a little different.. Can't get over the size difference... Excited.. Sounds perverse.. Lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Somebody is nor messing around with this.

I bet your on cloud nine right now. Have fun.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Looking great, you got a ton done today. Keep the pictures coming. Makes me want to go out and buy another helicopter. (Not sure how wife would handle it)

cml001

Secret fund bro... Secret fund. But it does take a long time to build that fund do to it's secrecy! I just noticed.. The front mounting block is backward! Lol.. Fix it later.

I did that with a 1942 Mosin Nagant and it didnt turn out too well for me, I still have it but she was pretty sore at me for a long time..

I think I will learn to fly my 250 first then press for another.

Keep up the build it is looking great

- - - Updated - - -

cml001,

What is the neon color thing on the top of your head????

cml001

A level.. Pitch tool... It's just for prelim set up to get close, then on to the digital

murankar

Staff member
I used a old school pitch gage on my setup. I could not get my phone to work. It took me 8 hours for the set up with the phone and got no where. The next day I got out my pitch gage and was done in about 20 minutes.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

cml001

Oh yeah.. Digital pitch gauge is the way to go for sure.. Love mine! I did pick up that neon thingie.. I think its made by Fusuno... If I'm not mistaken Boto was the first one to make them.. It keeps 0 degrees of pitch thru the build/set up so u can get real close.. And then take it off and fine tune it per the gauge. Plus I keeps the head from flop'n all about during the build.. That's y it's on there at this stage.

cml001

Ok... Crack head just took over again... Went down stairs to braid the servos but needed to know the routing to make the right length.. Unlike the 450... There is some room and a lot more wire.. Anyone have a 550 they wanna show off some wiring to give ideas? I put on the tail case so I could see where I could route.. Anyone?

Lee

She's coming along nicely mate.
You are gone love that bird.
My friend has one. Its power to weight ratio is way better than the 600.

Top Bottom