General Align Trex 450 pro DFC 3gx

Kram

Hi guys a newbie here. I was wondering if i can get some feedback on the DFC model that align have. My concern is BOOM STRIKE. previously i own a belt cp v2 i never get the chance to fly it, first time i try to hover it i had a boom strike. i ask some pro after it and they say that Belt cp is prone to boom strikes because the blades are low and the fly bar is on top of the blades. Now i am planning to get the DFC model but i am afraid that same thing will happen again. What i want to do is have a helicopter that can last for a long time where i can develop my skill. Hope to hear from you guys soon i also want to thank Sir Tony for his prompt response this morning i was having problem in my account i cannot post. i send him a message and he reply right away. Up for you Sir more power to this forum.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
The dfc will never do that. Boom strikes happen when blades fold under load because they are not the right tightness at the blade grips. Or the blades are soft flexible material.

450 comes with carbon fibre blades and those are what's recommended..

Seen the goblin, it's scary how short it is .. Never has a boom strike if built correctly. 450 is far from it. I throw mine around pretty bad and never even had a doubt... I even used cheap fibre glass blades and even they were fine. Just build with the right instructions and put the right tightness on your blade grips and go fly without a question

Don't know where your flying is at .. But dfc is a very responsive and a very highly acrobatic head design.. There are something's which you will be better off downgrading (small things like dampners to softer ones just so it's not as twitchy ) but its an amazing bird. If you hover around fine on your belt cp and fly around fine then you might be fine with the torque tube transmission. But just a heads up.. Tt transmission is not very well suited for beginners. One touch on the tail blades when you are trying to land or get off the ground and gears will strip. :)

Adam

On the TT part it does teach you to land alot better after you have to change it out 2 or 3 times lol. I love my 450 pro.

stokke

I have the DFC head as well, and it gets kicked around a lot - no boom strike.
I wouldn't worry :D

Kram

The dfc will never do that. Boom strikes happen when blades fold under load because they are not the right tightness at the blade grips. Or the blades are soft flexible material.

450 comes with carbon fibre blades and those are what's recommended..

Seen the goblin, it's scary how short it is .. Never has a boom strike if built correctly. 450 is far from it. I throw mine around pretty bad and never even had a doubt... I even used cheap fibre glass blades and even they were fine. Just build with the right instructions and put the right tightness on your blade grips and go fly without a question

Don't know where your flying is at .. But dfc is a very responsive and a very highly acrobatic head design.. There are something's which you will be better off downgrading (small things like dampners to softer ones just so it's not as twitchy ) but its an amazing bird. If you hover around fine on your belt cp and fly around fine then you might be fine with the torque tube transmission. But just a heads up.. Tt transmission is not very well suited for beginners. One touch on the tail blades when you are trying to land or get off the ground and gears will strip. :)

Thank you so much for your feedback Sir. with my Belt CP i never get the chance to hover that bird. not even a few inch off the ground i had a boom strike. and due parts availability at that time, I did not get the chance to fix it. Say you strip the gears off will it affect any part in the head like bend something?

- - - Updated - - -

On the TT part it does teach you to land alot better after you have to change it out 2 or 3 times lol. I love my 450 pro.

I get the point. any advice on how to take off and land properly? Also which gears often get strip when this kind of things happen? Thanks a lot.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Gear strip happens. Will a touch if a tail blade while a little hard landing or take off bend a shaft. NO. But these birds are very powerful so if you touch a blade on the ground.. It will and that's true for any model any bird.

Gear strips happen.. It's a matter of how and then if you have have some handy .. Replacing them isn't that hard once you get a feel of it. If you are new then use a training gear on the heli and then you'll avoid those tail touches ad learn I hover and all too.

You are going to see a night and day in the quality of this kit to the belt cp. it's amazing!

Let us know here how we can help :)

Adam

The quality is awesome and very responsive i love it and i still dont have the dfc head yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Landing i try to go nice and smooth the nose then the tail has never failed me.

Tony

Staff member
As stated, you should never have a boom strike with normal flying. Loose blades or loose tail are the two most common causes of a boom strike. I crashed my 500 hard and the blade only nicked the tail.

The only way I see that you will have a boom strike is if you crash it. Then the tail will bend up into the path of the blades. But then you are looking at more repairs than just the blades and boom.

As for landing a TT, the easiest way I have found is 1. put a ping pong ball on the tail fin to raise the tail up a little bit. This will keep it from digging into the dirt causing the blades to hit the grass or rocks and strip a gear. 2. make your heli just a little nose heavy. Unlike a plane, heli's handing fore/aft CoG much better. If you are nose heavy, the heli will want to drop the nose when landing and not drop the tail. And when I say a LITTLE nose heavy, I mean very little. Like when you are CoG'ing it out, the tail should be 1/2" up from level at the tip. It's not much, but it helps a lot.

As for replacing the gears, it's easy.You just pull the old ones off, put the new ones on. If there are any shims, then you will want to put them back in to keep your gear mesh in the right spot.

And calling me "Sir Tony"... That is a new one lmao. Thanks for the kind words. If there is ever anything else we can do to help you out, just let us know.

Kram

Gear strip happens. Will a touch if a tail blade while a little hard landing or take off bend a shaft. NO. But these birds are very powerful so if you touch a blade on the ground.. It will and that's true for any model any bird.

Gear strips happen.. It's a matter of how and then if you have have some handy .. Replacing them isn't that hard once you get a feel of it. If you are new then use a training gear on the heli and then you'll avoid those tail touches ad learn I hover and all too.

You are going to see a night and day in the quality of this kit to the belt cp. it's amazing!

Let us know here how we can help :)

i see thank you so much for your help sir i might get it this week and i will inform you guys if ever i encounter anything. Thanks a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

As stated, you should never have a boom strike with normal flying. Loose blades or loose tail are the two most common causes of a boom strike. I crashed my 500 hard and the blade only nicked the tail.

The only way I see that you will have a boom strike is if you crash it. Then the tail will bend up into the path of the blades. But then you are looking at more repairs than just the blades and boom.

As for landing a TT, the easiest way I have found is 1. put a ping pong ball on the tail fin to raise the tail up a little bit. This will keep it from digging into the dirt causing the blades to hit the grass or rocks and strip a gear. 2. make your heli just a little nose heavy. Unlike a plane, heli's handing fore/aft CoG much better. If you are nose heavy, the heli will want to drop the nose when landing and not drop the tail. And when I say a LITTLE nose heavy, I mean very little. Like when you are CoG'ing it out, the tail should be 1/2" up from level at the tip. It's not much, but it helps a lot.

As for replacing the gears, it's easy.You just pull the old ones off, put the new ones on. If there are any shims, then you will want to put them back in to keep your gear mesh in the right spot.

And calling me "Sir Tony"... That is a new one lmao. Thanks for the kind words. If there is ever anything else we can do to help you out, just let us know.

Noted once i got it i will inform you guys if i encounter any probems. Also can i put a bigger battery for the bird to be front heavy any suggestion for battery size? i normally hear that they are using 2200mah. or should i use weights? sorry though i own a Belt CP before i never get a chance to really enjoy the hobby now i plan to go full time. Up for everyone thank again.

Tony

Staff member
2200mah 3S is the best choice for a 450. It has great run times and is the perfect weight. However, to make it a little nose heavy, you can either do the weights like you suggested, or you can get a 2650mah 3s. However, you may have a little bit of a hard time getting the canopy to fit with a larger battery. the ping pong ball will help out the most if you are flying over grass or dirt where the tail can dig in. Just make sure there is no gravel around as this is a TT's worst enemy lol.

Kram

By the way here's what i am trying to get. I would appreciate any feedback. Align 450 pro DFC 3gx and for the TX im planning to get the JR XG8. anything thing that i should get Sir's? like spare parts? Once again Thank you so much.

- - - Updated - - -

2200mah 3S is the best choice for a 450. It has great run times and is the perfect weight. However, to make it a little nose heavy, you can either do the weights like you suggested, or you can get a 2650mah 3s. Howellwever, you may have a little bit of a hard time getting the canopy to fit with a larger battery. the ping pong ball will help out the most if you are flying over grass or dirt where the tail can dig in. Just make sure there is no gravel around as this is a TT's worst enemy lol.

Thank you Sir Tony i will check Batteries when i get the unit i have the right idea what ball to use. know that soft ball thing that the training kit have maybe that will do. Cant wait to have this bird :02.47-tranquillity:

Tony

Staff member
One thing wrong with that Tx that I"m not sure you know is it's running on the DMSS Radio. Not DSMX. That means that all of the bind-n-bly (BNF) planes and heli's out there will not bind with this JR Tx.

Per Horizon's site...
DMSS technology is not compatible with JR® DSM® or Spektrum™, DSM2® or DSMX® equipment.

I love that Tx, I have thought about trading mine for a JR like that, but the DMSS is keeping me from it. There are other options out there but in all honesty, I have not looked that hard for them.

As for the Kit, it's perfect if you can get the best price. We are here every step of the way to help you out.

Tony

Staff member
The ping pong balls that are on training gear are exactly what you are wanting to use on the tail to help out. Also, I forgot a part of your other post, and that is spare parts.

You will want to keep a couple sets of each of the below on hand for quick repairs.

blades
main shaft
feathering shaft
TT gears, front and rear. i would get 5 sets of these to keep on hand.
tail blades. Just one set
tail boom
extra TT shaft
landing skids. Not a must have, but it sucks when you break them and have to wait.
main gears
auto rotation gears
tail drive gears (may come with teh front drive TT set)
extra bolt kit. Not a must have, but when you lose that one screw that you can't find, it's a lifesaver.

That is about all I can think of right now. I'm sure I"m forgetting something and someone will chime in and let you know. HOpe this helps.

zenmetsu

Also, these are good to keep for spare parts as well:

The control rod linking the tail servo to the tail. You could probably bend it back into shape, but it is possible that it could break in a crash.

Landing skids are a good idea. In a pinch, you might find appropriately sized aluminum tubing at a hardware shop. Just be sure to bend the fronts up so that you don't snag the surface and faceplant your heli if you land with any forward momentum.

Make sure main gear set that you have includes the one-way bearing. I have had these fail in really bad crashes, and it is a showstopper if you cannot replace.

The biggest thing though, in my opinion, are the plastic ball linkages. Those will pop quite often. Better to replace those than something more expensive, so I am glad that they are delicate. I keep a full set of them on standby, just in case.

Kram

One thing wrong with that Tx that I"m not sure you know is it's running on the DMSS Radio. Not DSMX. That means that all of the bind-n-bly (BNF) planes and heli's out there will not bind with this JR Tx.

Per Horizon's site...

I love that Tx, I have thought about trading mine for a JR like that, but the DMSS is keeping me from it. There are other options out there but in all honesty, I have not looked that hard for them.

As for the Kit, it's perfect if you can get the best price. We are here every step of the way to help you out.

my apologies Sir but i am really confuse with the terms. i have ask hobby shops before to get some feedback regarding the TX. Previous choices was Futaba and Spektrum 8channels TX. As to what they told me i can use any receivers with this JR XG8. what is the DMSS stands for any link or article that you refer so i could understand more about this TX. i dont want to spend into something and have regret later, i want to invest into a TX that will last for a long time and will be flexible, something that a newbie like me can benefit on and still dont have to change in the future when my skills or needs for the hobby ask for more.

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Also, these are good to keep for spare parts as well:

The control rod linking the tail servo to the tail. You could probably bend it back into shape, but it is possible that it could break in a crash.

Landing skids are a good idea. In a pinch, you might find appropriately sized aluminum tubing at a hardware shop. Just be sure to bend the fronts up so that you don't snag the surface and faceplant your heli if you land with any forward momentum.

Make sure main gear set that you have includes the one-way bearing. I have had these fail in really bad crashes, and it is a showstopper if you cannot replace.

The biggest thing though, in my opinion, are the plastic ball linkages. Those will pop quite often. Better to replace those than something more expensive, so I am glad that they are delicate. I keep a full set of them on standby, just in case.

Thank you Sir for your advice i will keep this in mind. wow all i was thinking to keep as a spare are the blades,gears and Feathering shaft. i am glad i ask so i know what to keep in my tool box.

murankar

Staff member
As long ar the radio supports DSM2 and DSMX then you'll be good. Any newer Specktrum or JR (I believe) will support this technology. The Newest DX6i or the DX7 / DX8 is what you should be looking at. Nothing wrong with Futaba, I personally feel that you will have more freedom with the Specktrum TX/RX. If you go to horizon hobbies web site they run specials ever so often and with the holidays coming up who knows what you can get.

Lets just say the a majority of the users on here run Specktrum just to give you an idea of how great it is. THe best part is that if you meet any of us on the field you can bind to our aircraft and fly away with out many issues or you can "buddy box"/co-pilot. This is nothing more than having two connected one as a trainer and the other as the trainee.

Tony

Staff member
DMSS, DSM2, DSMX are the frequencies Jr and Spektrum use to broadcast to and from the Tx/Rx. If they don't match, then you will not be able to bind to it. I'm not sure why someone told you that you could bind anything to that Tx, but you can't as far as I know. All of your bind and fly planes and helis will be either DSM2 or DSMx depending on their age. DSMX is the latest and is what all of the new spektrum Tx's are going to. However, DSMX is backwards compatible with DSM2. Meaning you can run a DSMx Tx with a DSM2 Rx and vice versa.

It's a lot of letters basically stating you have to know what you are buying and what you will want to buy in the future. I have never in my life heard about DMSS until you linked that Tx. I'm going to read up more on this and if I find something good, I will post it up. As of right now, I'm thinking the DX8 is your best choice if you want to purchase bind and fly aircraft such as the mSR, mCP-X or 130x.

Tony

Staff member
Here is what Horizon Hobby states about this Tx...

Dual Modulation Spectrum System (DMSS) 2.4GHz protocol offers a secure radio link that combines DSSS and FHSS capabilities into a wideband transmission system and includes high-speed response and high resistance against RF noise. One benefit of DMSS* is the JR Intelligent Output System (IOS), which automatically selects control signals that need to be transmitted at exactly the same time and delivers the data as one complete signal frame. IOS ensures there is no time delay when commanding servos used for critical functions, such as a CCPM swashplate on a helicopter, or when operating a wing control surface with multiple servos.

*DMSS technology is not compatible with JR® DSM® or Spektrum™, DSM2® or DSMX® equipment.

What that last line means is you can not use this Tx with anything other than a DMSS Rx. This means, you will not be able to fly any Blade plane or heli unless you get another Tx. However if you get the DX8 like Lee and I have (among others), you can fly anything that blade makes and you will not have to buy another Tx or Rx if they are BNF.

Hope this helps. I know english is not your first language and I know the challenges that it creates. I'm hoping Lee or Celia can maybe translate if I have not been able to clear this up.

Kram

As long ar the radio supports DSM2 and DSMX then you'll be good. Any newer Specktrum or JR (I believe) will support this technology. The Newest DX6i or the DX7 / DX8 is what you should be looking at. Nothing wrong with Futaba, I personally feel that you will have more freedom with the Specktrum TX/RX. If you go to horizon hobbies web site they run specials ever so often and with the holidays coming up who knows what you can get.

Lets just say the a majority of the users on here run Specktrum just to give you an idea of how great it is. THe best part is that if you meet any of us on the field you can bind to our aircraft and fly away with out many issues or you can "buddy box"/co-pilot. This is nothing more than having two connected one as a trainer and the other as the trainee.

Noted thank you sir

- - - Updated - - -

What that last line means is you can not use this Tx with anything other than a DMSS Rx. This means, you will not be able to fly any Blade plane or heli unless you get another Tx. However if you get the DX8 like Lee and I have (among others), you can fly anything that blade makes and you will not have to buy another Tx or Rx if they are BNF.

Hope this helps. I know english is not your first language and I know the challenges that it creates. I'm hoping Lee or Celia can maybe translate if I have not been able to clear this up.

Thank you Sir Tony. Its just that i am really not aware of how things goes when it comes to radios or any technical terms. i might get the heli and the tx tomorrow and now im confuse. As to what i know with Spektrum if you have another heli or plain you use a bind plug so you dont have to buy another receiver. Let me do some reading so i could understand how everything goes when it comes to radios and all the technical stuffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Noted thank you sir

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Sir Tony. Its just that i am really not aware of how things goes when it comes to radios or any technical terms. i might get the heli and the tx tomorrow and now im confuse. As to what i know with Spektrum if you have another heli or plain you use a bind plug so you dont have to buy another receiver. Let me do some reading so i could understand how everything goes when it comes to radios and all the technical stuffs.

Sorry I mean PLANE :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kram

Good afternoon Sir Tony i forgot to mention that i am based in Singapore and getting advice to LHS over here is not easy they often nag at you. Referring to what you said if i get the JR XG8 and decided to get another aircraft or heli in the future can i just buy another RX that is compatible to JR? Yes your correct Sir English is not my first language, Its just that most of the terms when it comes to radio,binding and electronic confuse me its like jargon's in my ears. i only have idea how to assemble the heli together thanks to your video after that i still struggle to understand how things goes. Anyway i am considering dx8 it is one of my first choice i just want to compare the two before i decide. most of the time i will be flying alone i do not see any RC group around here yet. Hope to hear your feed back thank you in advance.

Top Bottom